kayumanggi

SUICIDE SQUAD | 421.7 M overseas ● 746.8 M worldwide

Boxoffice.com:

Suicide Squad might be taking a critical beating in North America, but the first day of overseas grosses has been nothing but positive. The ensemble super-villain pic brought in $8.1 million from 7 markets on Wednesday, including a $2.9 million debut from 732 screens in South Korea. The Korean debut is the second biggest opening day of all time for Warner Bros., the biggest August opening day of all time for a U.S. film, the fourth biggest bow for a superhero flick, and the biggest debut for stars Will Smith and Margot Robbie in the market.

Elsewhere, Suicide Squad opened at $2.7 million on 667 screens in France (including previews), claiming  53% of the Top 5 market share. Sweden also performed strongly, with a $564k bow from 147 screens and 53% share of the Top 5 films in the market.

Suicide Squad expands to three additional ket markets today: Russia, Australia, and Brazil.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

If it has BVS' legs it's clearly possible, and it doesn't have China.

That is the key. Some people say that this can not be as big as BvS because of horrible reviews and legs are going to be atrocious. But if it is already opening bigger than BvS in some big markets, and taking into account that BvS legs were already atrocious, unless SS collapses as we have never seen before I do not see how it can not make, at very least, $400m OS (BvS did $447m without China). And let's remember that weekdays should still be bigger than for a March-April release. We should wait until Sunday to say more, but business perspectives are great taking into account reviews depression.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, peludo said:

That is the key. Some people say that this can not be as big as BvS because of horrible reviews and legs are going to be atrocious. But if it is already opening bigger than BvS in some big markets, and taking into account that BvS legs were already atrocious, unless SS collapses as we have never seen before I do not see how it can not make, at very least, $400m OS (BvS did $447m without China). And let's remember that weekdays should still be bigger than for a March-April release. We should wait until Sunday to say more, but business perspectives are great taking into account reviews depression.

Fullbuster was responding to a comment that says no way does it make less than $500M OS. Making $400M and making $500M OS are two completely different numbers. Even if it doesn't have BvS legs, getting to $500M OS is no small feat...especially without China. Can it get to $400M OS? Sure, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Fullbuster was responding to a comment that says no way does it make less than $500M OS. Making $400M and making $500M OS are two completely different numbers. Even if it doesn't have BvS legs, getting to $500M OS is no small feat...especially without China. Can it get to $400M OS? Sure, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

I was using the Fullbuster post because he mentions BvS legs and I agree with him when he said that with BvS legs it could even reach $500m if every market is able to open as big as France or SK. Maybe that is still optimistic, but I just wanted to say that if BvS already had horrible legs and it was able to reach $450m without China, if SS can open higher than BvS in key markets (that seems the trend in some other big markets like Russia or Brazil), and it is able to have the same legs (something that should not be so hard considering that BvS legs were awful, I do not see how it can miss $400m. Look that I am not saying the $450m that BvS did. Just $400m.

And I prefer to wait until Sunday, but I am seriously thinking more in what @picores is saying. It can be closer to $500m than to $400m.

5 minutes ago, peludo said:

Another thing to keep in mind is, that Suicide Squad opens during summer break in most countries, which might make its opening weekend more frontloaded. BvS opened on Easter weekend and might have benefitted from national holidays over the weekend or on monday.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HH84 said:

Another thing to keep in mind is, that Suicide Squad opens during summer break in most countries, which might make its opening weekend more frontloaded. BvS opened on Easter weekend and might have benefitted from national holidays over the weekend or on monday.

Good point, but still weekdays should be stronger for SS precisely because of Summer break.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purple Minion said:

Boxoffice.com:

Suicide Squad might be taking a critical beating in North America, but the first day of overseas grosses has been nothing but positive. The ensemble super-villain pic brought in $8.1 million from 7 markets on Wednesday, including a $2.9 million debut from 732 screens in South Korea. The Korean debut is the second biggest opening day of all time for Warner Bros., the biggest August opening day of all time for a U.S. film, the fourth biggest bow for a superhero flick, and the biggest debut for stars Will Smith and Margot Robbie in the market.

Elsewhere, Suicide Squad opened at $2.7 million on 667 screens in France (including previews), claiming  53% of the Top 5 market share. Sweden also performed strongly, with a $564k bow from 147 screens and 53% share of the Top 5 films in the market.

Suicide Squad expands to three additional ket markets today: Russia, Australia, and Brazil.

SK and France are exceptional, but even that Sweden OD is fantastic. CW made 3.6m there in it's entire run, while BvS made 3.9m. Even if it's frontloaded SS will make more than that. 

• Like 1

Well, one thing is for sure, this likely won't touch BvS's $57m in the UK, because of post-Brexit ER. The same gross in pounds would only be $48.5m today. £40m, which is more than Deadpool, BvS and Civil war (all made $57m, remarkably) would equal $52m, so it'll have a hard time even reaching $50m.