kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

So what are the chances of this doing a Black Swan and becoming an actual box office hit?

Do you guys think that Pfeiffer and Lawrence have legitimate chances at getting in the Oscar race? What about the film itself? People are already dismissing its Oscar potential due to something crazy that apparently happens in the thrid act, but...would that really turn off Academy voters from appreciating the film's [potential] quality?

How many theatres/screens is this getting?

What do you guys think of the marketing?

Black Swan was also quite out there, but it still connected with the masses (and the Oscar voters).

Just now, Cochofles said:

So what are the chances of this doing a Black Swan and becoming an actual box office hit?

Do you guys think that Pfeiffer and Lawrence have legitimate chances at getting in the Oscar race? What about the film itself? People are already dismissing its Oscar potential due to something crazy that apparently happens in the thrid act, but...would that really turn off Academy voters from appreciating the film's [potential] quality?

Black Swan was also quite out there, but it still connected with the masses (and the Oscar voters).

Pretty decent as long as audiences dont find the film too fucked up

Depends how the Academy responds

2,800+ per BOP

Marketing is strong IMO

I don't have any guesses even until after Tuesday when some audiences will have seen it -- and if the nda's are really strict, I still might not know.  From what I understand, those who have seen it think Jen and Michelle were something special, but if anyone can make a movie that is too far out there for the academy, even with career best performances by actresses of their caliber, Aronofsky might be the guy.

But I can't wait to see those performances myself!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Black Swan was looking to be a success month before release, people did dress up in Black Swan costume at Halloween 2 month before the release, it had the teenage girl audience invested in advance and connected with the masses in a way you cannot ever predict a movie will (Weinstein thought the movie could do 70m), specially something that connected with the masses pretty much everywhere around the world like that.

If the talk about shocking violent visual are true, I would imagine the chance of an actual box office hit are very low (if you are talking about making over 150m WW), but the chance of a massive success (over 70m ww) are still there.

Absolutely need the reviews to get out to have any ideas imo if it could have legs.

19 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Marketing that does not explicitly say what the movie high concept is and/or protagonist goal to potentially root for could be tend to be a risky affair vs clear one (say Get out being a lot in the title, split also or Happy death day that have one or 2 of those element giving to the audience right away in the marketing).

That maybe ok (or maybe not have really other option with what the movie is), but that does not usually bring high first weekend, they are and hard sales and better have good reviews/free awareness to help it, but in the range they probably trying to make the movie open it is not a big deal.

Has of now, not sure how much the marketing work on someone that is not fan of some of previous Aronofsky works (and it is impossible to put myself in the position of a person like that for me, obviously), a fan will give it all the benefit of the doubt about the unknow and if the movie tone/aesthetic look nice become a must see if the reviews make it sound interesting, but for someone that never watched is stuff or do not remember/cared that much... not so sure yet. 

For the financial sake of the movie, the next full 2 minutes trailer that will play before IT and the last TV one the week of the release should be more attractive to a not pre-sold audience imo.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

If the talk about shocking violent visual are true, I would imagine the chance of an actual box office hit are very low (if you are talking about making over 150m WW), but the chance of a massive success (over 70m ww) are still there.

Do you mean domestic or WW?  Because either would be fantastic on a $13M budget, I would think.

The supposed intensity of the movie is not even mother!'s biggest problem IMO.

It seems to be quite puzzling and not straightforward AT all, like there seems to be a gazillion interpretations of what the movie is about ... super GA friendly.

Metaphorical Octagons & whatnot.

WOM could be toxic.

But we ll see.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Read the Act 3 spoilers and based on that not a chance. This is nothing like Black Swan. That movie was pretty to look at and weirdness was, well, pretty and understandable. But this is just horrific and confusing on every level. Forget awards, forget WOM that isn't mixed (this is love-hate movie no middle ground). 

Again, this is based on spoilers so something may have been lost in translation. But yeah, it's gonna be a tough sit.

43 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I'm pretty sure Han is the only person who think this will get anywhere close to BS numbers

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Pretty decent as long as audiences dont find the film too fucked up

Depends how the Academy responds

2,800+ per BOP

Marketing is strong IMO

Damn really? I thought marketing had been pretty meh at best. I would say "oh I'm not the intended audience" but come on, I'm a movie buff who works at a movie theatre. I feel like I should be seeing more from this one way or another.

• Like 1