kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

10 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Slashfilm raves Jlaw in mother! :

Lawrence, unfortunately, is miscast in the lead. A talented actress in her own right, much of what Lawrence’s character does here depends on internalization, and the actress seems incapable of getting the nuanced complexities across. Instead, she spends almost the entire film rushing from one scene to the next and whimpering at other characters, repeating phrases like “Stop!” and “What are you doing?!” and “No, wait!” over and over again, to the point that it begins to become exhausting. Not helping things are the scenes that Lawrence shares with Pfeiffer, a phenomenal actress giving a delightfully wicked performance.

:lol:

well...color me surprised! she''s not a bad actress, but i feel she's miscast in most of her movies. It takes away from her performance

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Slashfilm raves Jlaw in mother! :

Lawrence, unfortunately, is miscast in the lead. A talented actress in her own right, much of what Lawrence’s character does here depends on internalization, and the actress seems incapable of getting the nuanced complexities across. Instead, she spends almost the entire film rushing from one scene to the next and whimpering at other characters, repeating phrases like “Stop!” and “What are you doing?!” and “No, wait!” over and over again, to the point that it begins to become exhausting. Not helping things are the scenes that Lawrence shares with Pfeiffer, a phenomenal actress giving a delightfully wicked performance.

:lol:

She's a character without a name and a lowercase identifier.   Reading some reviews it doesn't sound as if there are any nuanced complexities in the character to express.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

I probably already said this but the crescendo is really the most unique aspect of Aronofski s films.

I don't think there are other filmmakers that do them like him, any ideas ?

He s like buiding his castle slowly and, then, in the last half hour, you witness the most insane crescendo you ll ever see & hear.

mother! seems to be no exception.

Aronofsky himself acknowledges Polanski's Apartment trilogy as major influence for many of his movies. All three of Repulsion, Rosemary, Tenant have similar "slow build to an insane final act" structures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Well, opinions may vary as Aronofski chose to

Hide contents

take out the score of the entire movie because he thought was Jlaw was doing was so compelling.

Which was a first for him as he always relies on big, loud, over the top scores.

They are dating.

He knows better than to say/imply otherwise... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

Aronofsky himself acknowledges Polanski's Apartment trilogy as major influence for many of his movies. All three of Repulsion, Rosemary, Tenant have similar "slow build to an insane final act" structures.

I really like both Rosemary and Tenant, so hearing that makes me very excited for mother!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alli said:

well...color me surprised! she''s not a bad actress, but i feel she's miscast in most of her movies. It takes away from her performance

1 hour ago, Lizzy said:

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

I thought she was pretty good in the movie. I chalk up the critiques of her repetitive mannerisms more to some clunky writing 

The first quote (by @The Futurist ) is a distinct minority from what I've seen.  Most say she is very good or great or better, but some don't like either that she doesn't play a strong character, or that the character is in one mode for a good part of the film, or feel that the fact that the second is true hurts her awards chances amid more showy performances.

37 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

RT is plummeting! :sadben:

Yes and no. It is a divisive film with those who love it and those who hate it.  Most of the reviews in are by those who feel passionately about it, one way or the other.  There are a lot yet to come in.  We'll see.  I honestly have no idea where it will end up.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, trifle said:

Most of the reviews in are by those who feel passionately about it, one way or the other.  There are a lot yet to come in.  We'll see.  I honestly have no idea where it will end up.

I'm predicting mid to low 70's on rotten tomatoes. The 7.1 average suggests that the reception is good, if not polarizing. There are only 40 reviews though, so we have a little while to go.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

DJAPgCVXkAEZRuw.jpg

On 9/5/2017 at 11:00 PM, Barnack said:

It is normal for that number of most talked about movie, the period ended up the 3rd before any public / non full nda premiere of Venice. It should pick up and get a bit closer to American Assassin in the next period for the new conversation numbers.

It had a big day the 6th conversation wise:

http://pro.boxoffice.com/twitter/today/

Will have about 10 time more tweets than is usual days according to this.

When I suggested that it should pick up because of the festival on American assassin I thought it could get around the same or a bit above, but not tripling it and going over Thor/Star wars...., that amount of online presence must certainly make the festival expenses more than worth it for the studio, would have cost a fortune to manufacture, but would it be worth it to make up for being in IT legs too.......will depends of the market I guess.

most-talked-about-movies-9-11-17.jpg?w=6

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

most-talked-about-movies-9-11-17.jpg?w=6

OK HOW is American Assassin doing better than Kingsman? I know i know....o'brien fans. But its not only them....the movie is based on a best selling book. That has to count. Still....let's see if it breaks out. No reviews yet tho...

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

OK HOW is American Assassin doing better than Kingsman? I know i know....o'brien fans. But its not only them....the movie is based on a best selling book. That has to count. Still....let's see if it breaks out. No reviews yet tho...

I have no idea of Obrien fanbase size could be lot of it, but I imagine release date also matter here, they are doing the final push right now, I imagine Kingsman last week before release will be bigger than AA last week before release.

A lot of those conversation must come from junket material coming out on every internet platform right now for AA, like for mothers! (but they didn't got Fox news talking about them as much I imagine).

Kingmans is doing much better in trailers views and so on:

http://www.boxofficereport.com/trailerviews/trailerviews.html

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2