kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

Man. Cannot believe mother! is not a huge box office hit after The Foutain and Requiem For A Dream were such box office titans. :P

So The Fountain had a budget of $35 million. All the sudden the $30 million number for mother! makes more sense. I think Paramount saw this as a long term investment, as a means of widening their brand. Interesting. 

Edited by straggler
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, straggler said:

Man. Cannot believe mother! is not a huge box office hit after The Foutain and Requiem For A Dream were such box office titans. :P

So The Fountain had a budget of $35 million. All the sudden the $30 million number for mother! makes more sense. I think Paramount saw this as a long term investment, as a means of widening their brand. Interesting. 

aronofsky had 2 good hits in noah and black swan both doing well globally (nevermind noah showed bad legs).

combine him and jlaw in a small budget film and it must have been a sure shot money maker in their minds even with bad legs.

not to mention develop a good relationship with the duo for the sake of a more commercial collaboration in the future.

• Like 1

Paramount only have themselves to blame for the widespread audience reaction here. They marketed it as something it isn't, which in the horror genre is always asking for trouble. 

It had people show up that would never in a million years watch an art house film like this, so no wonder they're up in arms. 

That said, it isn't even a genre movie so I don't know how you'd even market it for what it is. 

Personally I thought the movie was extraordinary and essential. Never seen anything quite like it. A return to form after the middling Noah. If you like Aranofsky's films then there's plenty to like here. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Paramount only have themselves to blame for the widespread audience reaction here. They marketed it as something it isn't, which in the horror genre is always asking for trouble. 

It had people show up that would never in a million years watch an art house film like this, so no wonder they're up in arms. 

That said, it isn't even a genre movie so I don't know how you'd even market it for what it is. 

Personally I thought the movie was extraordinary and essential. Never seen anything quite like it. A return to form after the middling Noah. If you like Aranofsky's films then there's plenty to like here. 

they also couldn't see IT doing 60m in the 2nd weekend (who could?). 

marketing it as horror backfired as it became direct competitor of IT instead of being a potential counter-programmer.

when mother! previewed on thursday, Annabelle's and IT's combined dom was a huge ~255m, all accumulated in the previous 4 weeks.

hindisght is 20-20 but the weekend before labor day weekend would have been best for mother! (and shouldn't have been marketed as a horror so being close to A:C wouldn't matter).

• Like 1

This article has thematic spoilers (Jen discusses the metaphors and allegories) but not actual action.  And it's a good article, imho. And I love that Jen has DA programed into her phone as 'The Dark Lord'.  Every couple should have pet names....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/movies/jennifer-lawrence-darren-aronofsky-mother-explained.html?smid=tw-nytimesarts&smtyp=cur

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, misafeco said:

JLaw needs to choose more carefully in the next few years and she will be fine.

I don't think this is gonna have any effect on her career and that everybody will look at it like the kooky arthouse film that it is. If anything, JLaw's presence will give it an exposure that it wouldn't have received otherwise as that time she put aside her "movie star" status to make one of the most polarizing films ever. It's clear that she doesn't want to have a career in strictly commercial fare like Julia Roberts and a bunch of other A-list actresses before her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misafeco said:

JLaw needs to choose more carefully in the next few years and she will be fine.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I don't think this is gonna have any effect on her career and that everybody will look at it like the kooky arthouse film that it is. If anything, JLaw's presence will give it an exposure that it wouldn't have received otherwise as that time she put aside her "movie star" status to make one of the most polarizing films ever. It's clear that she doesn't want to have a career in strictly commercial fare like Julia Roberts and a bunch of other A-list actresses before her.

Yeah, I'm glad she did this, and I know she wants to do indies, so there are probably more to come.  She'll do the big stuff too, of course

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I mean, while she's wish Aronofsky, I'm hoping she does another of his films next. Hell, become his muse for a bit do a few more even. Fine by me.

"From the dude & dudette that brought you mother!" is one hell of tagline for sure now.

:lol:

• Haha 1