WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates: Goosebumps - 23.5M; The Martian - 21.5M; Bridge of Spies - 15.4M; Crimson Peak - 12.9M (Page 1)

So what will be the "adult" movies breakouts of the season ?

I consider a breakout around 70-80m by the way, stop obsessing with the 100m mark people, it s bad for your skin.

Big breakout is around 120-130m + ...

Steve Jobs ?

Joy ?

Revenant ?

Spotlight ?

Truth ?

Carol ?

Suffragette ?

Room ?

Hateful Eight ?

The Big Short ?

Danish Gurl ?

Place your bets for I have no clue.

Even though a movie like Room is so small that a small bo take would make it a success, it s all relative to the size of the movie.

Concussions I definitely think

Quite possibly my favorite final scene in a film. 

Now, I get it...some might disagree. But when I was in therapy two years ago, she told me that I had to learn to accept peoples' limitations. And I have to when it comes to films, too. I understand that many here cannot begin to appreciate the thematic power and beauty of Interstellar, and it's not their fault. It simply is not their fault for having an inferior mind to me. Almost everyone's mind is inferior to me, anyway. 

• Like 1

Quite possibly my favorite final scene in a film. 

Now, I get it...some might disagree. But when I was in therapy two years ago, she told me that I had to learn to accept peoples' limitations. And I have to when it comes to films, too. I understand that many here cannot begin to appreciate the thematic power and beauty of Interstellar, and it's not their fault. It simply is not their fault for having an inferior mind to me. Almost everyone's mind is inferior to me, anyway. 

Eh, if we want a great ending to a messy Nolan film there is only one answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvtJ_XC2bz8

• Like 1

So what will be the "adult" movies breakouts of the season ?

I consider a breakout around 70-80m by the way, stop obsessing with the 100m  mark people, it s bad for your skin.

Big breakout is around 120-130m + ...

Steve Jobs ?

Joy ?

Revenant ?

Spotlight ?

Truth ?

Carol ?

Suffragette ?

Room ?

Hateful Eight ?

The Big Short ?

Danish Gurl ?

Place your bets for I have no clue.

Even though a movie like Room is so small that a small bo take would make it a success, it s all relative to the size of the movie.

Why not Our Brand is Crisis? Looks crowdpleasing enough

That's not all that great of a drop for The Martian given its still relatively competition deprived. If it's already dropping 40%, the holds will not be good come November and Spectre. 

This weekend has the most competition for October.

23rd: the openers should combine to $40-45 million (most of which is Steve Jobs) 

30th: $10-15 million between the openers 

Martian is still heading for $175 million+ DOM, which is a excellent finish for it. 

The problem with Crimson Peak is that it isn't the least bit scary. It's well made and entertaining, imo, but not a horror film.Think WOM will be toxic on this.

Unfortunately I have to agree, I watched it yesterday, the room was full of teenagers expecting a horror movie, and what they received? A gothic romantic movie, most of persons left the room before the end of movie complaining that it was boring, and everybody was complaining that it was not scary when the movie ended, which is a shame, because even not being scary (and it has some good tense moments), it worked more as horror movie than almost every horror movie released this year.....

• Like 1

Still think the Martian will scrape past $200m. It's at $123m going into the weekend and looking to do about $23m this weekend. It needs a x3.3 multi to make it to $200m off that weekend number - doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

As for Martian v Interstellar - they're so totally different in their intention that it's hard to compare. The Martian is probably more successful on its own terms, Interstellar aims higher and doesn't quite succeed in realising its lofty ambition. Ultimately Interstellar is the film that has stuck with me more. Its the one I'm more likely to revisit in the future. But then, I AM a massive Nolanite.