CaptainJackSparrow

The Jungle Book | 543.1m Overseas | 885.6m Worldwide

7 minutes ago, m3racer123 said:

Maybe you were looking at Zootopia's weekend figures compared to TJB's weekly figures!

Zootopia has still been much leggier than TJB, and will end up with a 4.5x OW multiplier compared to around 3.6x for TJB. Although to be fair to TJB, a larger opening will always lead to a lower multiplier (unless you're Star Wars of course).

Yep, I already amended my earlier post, that's exactly what i did - compared TJB  weekly to Z weekend figures.

FWIW, I love both films, and more than anything right now want each to eek over the $1B WW mark. 

Edited by SteveJaros

2 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Great weekend for TJB ... passes Zootopia DOM and BvS WW !!! :)

Can it rake in enough from Japan and Korea to top $1 Billion WW? 

Will require about 75m from Japan and S.Korea to top 1B WW.... could very well happen. Hoping for 60m from Japan and 25m from S.Korea.

• Like 1

THE JUNGLE BOOK
Adding another $5.3M to the treetops, Disney’s The Jungle Book has swung the international cume to $539.1M for a global haul of $879.7M. In its 8th weekend of overseas release in 41 material markets, the Jon Favreau-helmed TJB fell by only 36% and notably overtook Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice to become the No. 3 worldwide release of the year behind Disney’s own Captain America: Civil War andZootopia. Hong Kong was a new opening this frame with $1.3M. Holds were strong elsewhere. This is all ahead of the highly-anticipated Korean release on June 9, followed by Japan on August 11.

Source: Deadline.com

• Like 1

I agree with @picores. Considering precedents of recent Disney live action films and how they performed in both Japan and SK, I think we could bet for reaching the billion. I think it will need about 80 million from SK and Japan.

Alice in Wonderland did $150m in both countries (133 + 17)

Maleficent did $73m (63 + 10)

Cinderella did $52m (47 + 5)

Considering the size of Jungle Book, more similar to AiW than to the others, and how beloved the film has been everywhere, I see difficult it can not outgross, at least, Maleficent in both SK and Japan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

What are the odds on 1B.?

SK  coming up, can it double up LoP? Will need to and Japans Obon needs to give it close to a JW run

in order to do double LoP ($14.2M/1.6M adm.) in SK it almost needs to do Zootopia numbers admission wise ($31M/4.7M adm.), due to the change of the exchange rate. ($trong $$$) That seems unlikely for TJB. Think $20M/3M adm. is the realistic ceiling for now.  

here are the admission numbers for the former Disney live action films: Alice (2.15M), Maleficent (1.4M), Oz (350k), Cinderella (716k)

Alice had almost no competition at all while Maleficent had DOFP and EoT. Cinderlla and Oz just didn't seem to appeal much, having competition or not.

Think TJB will have broader appeal and better WOM for sure but it does face Warcraft, Conjuring 2, and the strong holdover the Handmaiden on its first week and later ID4. 

2M-3M/$15M-$20M seems like a reasonable prediction for it. 

so think it really depends on Japan. As always, Japan needs to deliver. I more doubted it before, it doing over $60M, but now I see that Maleficent did freaking $70M there, hope is restored. 

2 minutes ago, yjs said:

in order to do double LoP ($14.2M/1.6M adm.) in SK it almost needs to do Zootopia numbers admission wise ($31M/4.7M adm.), due to the change of the exchange rate. ($trong $$$) That seems unlikely for TJB. Think $20M/3M adm. is the realistic ceiling for now.  

here are the admission numbers for the former Disney live action films: Alice (2.15M), Maleficent (1.4M), Oz (350k), Cinderella (716k)

Alice had almost no competition at all while Maleficent had DOFP and EoT. Cinderlla and Oz just didn't seem to appeal much, having competition or not.

Think TJB will have broader appeal and better WOM for sure but it does face Warcraft, Conjuring 2, and the strong holdover the Handmaiden on its first week and later ID4. 

2M-3M/$15M-$20M seems like a reasonable prediction for it. 

so think it really depends on Japan. As always, Japan needs to deliver. I more doubted it before, it doing over $60M, but now I see that Maleficent did freaking $70M there, hope is restored. 

But Japan likes anime and princess more... 

TJB is kind of an anime - but it is being sold as not an anime, so I still doubt that it would get to 50M+ in Japan.

2 hours ago, peludo said:

I agree with @picores. Considering precedents of recent Disney live action films and how they performed in both Japan and SK, I think we could bet for reaching the billion. I think it will need about 80 million from SK and Japan.

Alice in Wonderland did $150m in both countries (133 + 17)

Maleficent did $73m (63 + 10)

Cinderella did $52m (47 + 5)

Considering the size of Jungle Book, more similar to AiW than to the others, and how beloved the film has been everywhere, I see difficult it can not outgross, at least, Maleficent in both SK and Japan.

Maleficent might have been riding on the goodwill of Frozen in Japan. Also, it was a different exchange rate.

In any case, there are no $60m movies in Japan released yet this year. It would be quite bold to say that Jungle Book will definitely exceed Maleficient in USD.

19 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Maleficent might have been riding on the goodwill of Frozen in Japan. Also, it was a different exchange rate.

In any case, there are no $60m movies in Japan released yet this year. It would be quite bold to say that Jungle Book will definitely exceed Maleficient in USD.

Maybe I have exceeded my enthusiasm, but the chances are there. I will not say it is locked, but very probable.

And just to add that last year the first 60 million film in Japan arrived in August. The fact that this year there is nothing that has broken out yet means nothing (excepting Zootopia, as you well know). Just lack of appealing until now.

And to outgross Maleficent in Japan means to make a 5% more in Yen considering ER, what does not seem crazy considering that Jungle Book is quite better than Maleficent.

Anyway, we'll see...

9 minutes ago, peludo said:

Maybe I have exceeded my enthusiasm, but the chances are there. I will not say it is locked, but very probable.

And just to add that last year the first 60 million film in Japan arrived in August. The fact that this year there is nothing that has broken out yet means nothing (excepting Zootopia, as you well know). Just lack of appealing until now.

And to outgross Maleficent in Japan means to make a 5% more in Yen considering ER, what does not seem crazy considering that Jungle Book is quite better than Maleficent.

Anyway, we'll see...

Alright, I looked up the exchange rate back then, and it wasn't so different than it is today. Still, doing $70m is a great feat for any movie, and it's what's necessary for The Jungle Book to cross the finish line.

Currently, TJB is at $885m. If you add $20m from USA+Canda and $15m from everywhere else, you get $920. Add in a healthy South Korean total of $20, you get to $940m. All of these are very optimistic projections.

Now Japan has to get to $60m for TJB to cross the finish line. It will be close, to say the least.

Edited by cannastop

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Alright, I looked up the exchange rate back then, and it wasn't so different than it is today. Still, doing $70m is a great feat for any movie, and it's what's necessary for The Jungle Book to cross the finish line.

Currently, TJB is at $885m. If you add $20m from USA+Canda and $15m from everywhere else, you get $920. Add in a healthy South Korean total of $20, you get to $940m. All of these are very optimistic projections.

Now Japan has to get to $60m for TJB to cross the finish line. It will be close, to say the least.

Sure, it seems a lot, it is not locked, it is going to be close... what you want. But if average films like Maleficent or Cinderella are able to make that high, I do not see any reason why Jungle Book can't do the same. And look that I am not saying AiW figures. But it is obvious that Japan likes a lot these kind of Disney adaptations. Difficult? Maybe. Possible? For sure.

I think TJB can have a Minions or JW-like run in Japan. Which would result in a gross between $50m and $80m (at today's exchange rates). Summer weekdays and Obon festival are going to really boost it so it doesn't need to have consistently strong weekends like, say Zootopia to hit those numbers. It's weekdays will be far stronger I believe.

Imo, JB's chances of hitting the billion are really high right now. Of course, Japan can always disappoint and reject it but given Disney's streak in that country these last few years, that's rather unlikely, especially with the great reviews.

Edited by Agafin
  • Like 1