Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Suicide Squad has basically become a big blur to me at this point beyond Will Smith showing he's still got it, Margot Robbie channeling Fran Drescher, Viola Davis playing Annalise Keating without the wig, and Cara Whateverhernameis proving she can't act. Try harder, WB and DC.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, RandomJC said:

Well, by Popular I mean that it ran for five for seasons, had several TV movies made after the show ended. It was popular enough that Marvel felt threatened that CBS would create spin-offs and immediately created a She-Hulk so that CBS couldn't have the rights to a female version of the Hulk. It pretty much put Lou Ferrigno into pop culture as The Hulk. The public LIKED that Hulk.

I get you don't like the mute Hulk, but that wasn't the problem with either Hulk movie, and everyone knows it. The public loves the Hulk, just ask anyone who watched the Avengers.

"Popular" with a small group of people.   

It finished tied for 26th in the ratings with two other shows in its first year.  http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1977.htm   Shows at the top of the ratings were "popular".   That's things like like Happy Days, Three's Company, Charlie's Angels, and All in the Family.

And that's the peak for The Incredible Hulk.  The only time it ever appeared in the top 30.    God knows where it finished after that.  And again...this was when there were only 3 networks to watch.   That's weak.  It couldn't beat out shows like "Stockard Channing in Just Friends" in 78, "Tenspeed and Brown Shoe" in 79, "NBC Monday Night Movie" in 80, or "House Calls" in 81.   That's not a "popular show".

But a show with "Incredible" was able to stick around in the top 30 during that period...."That's Incredible". :)   I believe the most accurate way to term it is to say TIH barely scraped by for 5 seasons.   This is the template that the two movies copied and they got the same result....tepid popularity.   If you copy something that appeals to a small niche audience, you will produce a movie that appeals to a small niche audience.   It's not hard to figure out.

I mean....a story about one of the most boring characters in Marvel (Banner...more boring than Reed Richards?  I say yes) and reduce the main draw to a glorified cameo while taking away his power of speech and giving him zero personality?    What could possibly go wrong there?   :D    

Not sure who this "everyone" is that you claim "knows the mute Hulk wasn't the problem".    We know one thing...the mute Hulk is the least popular movie franchise in Marvel....yes...behind Ant-Man.    The public loved the Hulk in AVENGERS.   That's when his lack of personality or character arc could be covered up by the assemble cast of characters who did have personalities and character arcs.  He could show up, roar, and break things in the middle of a larger story and that was enough. 

Make another Banner movie with a mute Hulk who is barely in the movie and suddenly "the public" will go right back to NOT loving the mute Hulk.   And then we'll of course hear the dumb claim "the public doesn't like the Hulk" or the even dumber "the public won't accept a talking Hulk with a personality".   Nevermind that no one has ever actually put the real Hulk on screen for the public to like or not like.   Some love to claim the public won't like something no one has ever given them.   Might as well claim "the public won't accept a movie about Wonder Woman" while we are at it.    We won't know until it's made and released.   (And even then it could fail because it's bad like Green Lantern...proving nothing)

I seriously don't know who screwed up a major character worse...Marvel/ABC/Universal with the Hulk, or WB with Superman.   You would think it wouldn't be that hard to understand the basic traits of these characters.   Brooding Superman and Mute Hulk....good lord....wtf?

13 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

"Popular" with a small group of people.   

It finished tied for 26th in the ratings with two other shows in its first year.  http://www.classictvhits.com/tvratings/1977.htm   Shows at the top of the ratings were "popular".   That's things like like Happy Days, Three's Company, Charlie's Angels, and All in the Family.

And that's the peak for The Incredible Hulk.  The only time it ever appeared in the top 30.    God knows where it finished after that.  And again...this was when there were only 3 networks to watch.   That's weak.  It couldn't beat out shows like "Stockard Channing in Just Friends" in 78, "Tenspeed and Brown Shoe" in 79, "NBC Monday Night Movie" in 80, or "House Calls" in 81.   That's not a "popular show".

I see two problems with that site.

1.) Not only are their numbers estimated, they're not sourced, where did that site get those numbers.

2.) How is that anywhere near a fair or comparable chart? Monday night ratings aren't the same as Wednesday aren't the same as Friday. And 7 o'clock is different than 8 o'clock. How can any of that be taken seriously as a metric of popularity?

I mean really, you're just using this as you being pissed that they fucked up the Hulk. You can be pissed about that, but your source is shit.

20 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

I seriously don't know who screwed up a major character worse...Marvel/ABC/Universal with the Hulk, or WB with Superman.   You would think it wouldn't be that hard to understand the basic traits of these characters.   Brooding Superman and Mute Hulk....good lord....wtf?

Considering I hold Superman way closer to my heart I'd say definitely supes. WB mistreatment of the character is downright blasphemous to me.  but I never read a Hulk comic or was really a fan of him in anyway until the Avengers and even then I found him overrated. He's awesome in The Avengers Earth's Mightiest heroes though, and he talks in it. but ruffalo does talk as the hulk, so he clearly has the capability to, I could see them moving towards a talking hulk as the series progresses, I think it's more about him have control over his powers.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, RandomJC said:

I see two problems with that site.

1.) Not only are their numbers estimated, they're not sourced, where did that site get those numbers.

2.) How is that anywhere near a fair or comparable chart? Monday night ratings aren't the same as Wednesday aren't the same as Friday. And 7 o'clock is different than 8 o'clock. How can any of that be taken seriously as a metric of popularity?

I mean really, you're just using this as you being pissed that they fucked up the Hulk. You can be pissed about that, but your source is shit.

By all means, produce a source that disproves mine.   Otherwise you are just trying to find a way around acknowledging the facts.  

Claiming that horrible TV was "popular" is unsupportable by facts.   It is also a fact that the movie which copied the TV show is the least popular of the Marvel movies.  I'm not seeing any support for "popular" here.   Ang Lee's Hulk even opened to 62 million in 2003 so the public was interested until they saw it.  Sounds a lot like the way the best ratings for the TV show were in the first season.

2 hours ago, Darth Homer said:

How does Universal still have the rights to namir wheb they never made a fuckibg Namie novie? Doesnt make any sense!

Feige says they don't, that Marvel has the rights to Namor but it's "complicated" as of 2014

IGN: Finally, there were rumours circulating awhile back that Universal and Legendary Pictures were developing a Sub-Mariner movie, but there was also some confusion about who holds the rights to the character. So could Legendary make that movie at this point?

Feige: No.

IGN: So if a film were to happen it would be you guys making it?

Feige: Yes, but it’s slightly more complicated than that. Let’s put it this way – there are entanglements that make it less easy. There are older contracts that still involve other parties that mean we need to work things out before we move forward on it. As opposed to an Iron Man or any of the Avengers or any of the other Marvel characters where we could just put them in.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/18/kevin-feige-talks-guardians-of-the-galaxy-the-avengers-the-sub-mariner