Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

15 minutes ago, Wonder89 said:

Mayweather or McGregor?

to steal a movie tagline.  "whoever wins, we all lose" :P 

basically I couldn't care less about the fight anyway  lol

• Like 3

8 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

I actually think that Johns and Berg are teaming the right people into the DCEU that can make it all work. The suspension of disbelief works both ways. Thor is a freaking God. Why there's still drought on several areas of the world? Why Tony Stark, The Avengers or at least Spider-Man didn't help Daredevil and the Defenders against The Hand? Batman is a great character in a shared DC universe not because he is the most powerful, but because he is the most clever. He is the DC's Captain America, if you will. I honestly think that Johns, Berg, Jenkins and Whedon can make it all work. I really would rather not have yet another "great director" take on Batman. I've had two in this lifetime already. 

I don't mind any of the heroes in their own stories.   Kinda like how the FBI is way more powerful than a local police force in a small town.  The FBI doesn't show up to deal with shop lifters.   It would be a bit silly if the local guys teamed up with the FBI.    

Batman as a character always felt like a loner to me no matter his power level.   He cranky, disturbed, and determined to take down crime in his city by his methods.   Capt America is a team player...in fact leadership of a team is one of his strengths.   At least Cap has super human abilities.  (despite claims to the contrary)   I can never shake the Hawkeye feeling when Batman is around the JLA.   (Well...Hawkeye is worse...at least Batman has popularity to explain why he is there)  

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of the team stuff anyway.   Avengers and JLA feel a little bit like a gimmick to me.   Xmen makes sense.   But most of the time it seems like they are throwing random characters together.   Pro sports teams don't mix high school guys into the team and expect to win anything.   Doesn't mean it's not fun to watch high school sports.

So I'm pretty happy to hear this:

“Well I have a vision for a way to do something with that character [Batman] that feels like it resonates with me personally, and a perspective that can grow out into other things. When they [Warner Bros.] approached me, what they said was ‘look, it’s a standalone, it’s not part of the extended universe.’”

http://www.batman-on-film.com/THE-BATMAN_news_MattReeves-standalone_8-23-17.html

I guess the only bothersome thing is that WB made the decision instead of Reeves.   But something tells me Reeves didn't mind.

My thoughts on this, just like I've posted on THE BATMAN thread:

Like I've discussed AT LENGTH with @Cochofles last night via pm: things are fluid. Reeves was hired when the DCEU was in turmoil, with WB having no idea how Wonder Woman would blow up like it did. Neither that Reeves War for Planet of the Apes would tank. Whedon was just getting involved with Justice League. Everyone here knows that I don't like the DCEU films other than Wonder Woman. But I'm really not anticipating a Batman film that is not part of the cinematic universe because we've had not one, but FOUR different Batman actors that played just that, by three different directors. With all due respect to Matt Reeves, he is a great director. But I don't think he has enough clout to ask people to care about his take on Batman if that isn't set in the DCEU, especially if Justice League is as good as I hope it will be. I don't care if Ben Affleck is playing Batman in the solo film. But just like I don't care if the Batman role in the DCEU isn't recast, I don't care about Reeves vision of Batman if that is set apart of the DCEU. Wonder Woman proved that the DCEU can work and when it works it's literally on fire.  

So yeah, it were just rumors, right guys? Attacking me gratuitously surely changed what was written on the wall all along. Now let's hope that Whedon proves once and for all that the DCEU works and WB is literally forced to have the next Batman film set in the DCEU - once again, with or without any of the divas, be it Affleck, be it Reeves. 

It makes complete sense that WB would start messing up with the DCEU now after Wonder Woman's success, while they didn't touch Wonder Woman itself or canceled/delayed the Justice League production back then when the critics did a smear campaign against BVS. Of course WB executives are starting to panic now, instead of when the DCEU was at its lowest point. Sure.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

My thoughts on this, just like I've posted on THE BATMAN thread:

Like I've discussed AT LENGTH with @Cochofles last night via pm: things are fluid. Reeves was hired when the DCEU was in turmoil, with WB having no idea how Wonder Woman would blow up like it did. Neither that Reeves War for Planet of the Apes would tank. Whedon was just getting involved with Justice League. Everyone here knows that I don't like the DCEU films other than Wonder Woman. But I'm really not anticipating a Batman film that is not part of the cinematic universe because we've had not one, but FOUR different Batman actors that played just that, by three different directors. With all due respect to Matt Reeves, he is a great director. But I don't think he has enough clout to ask people to care about his take on Batman if that isn't set in the DCEU, especially if Justice League is as good as I hope it will be. I don't care if Ben Affleck is playing Batman in the solo film. But just like I don't care if the Batman role in the DCEU isn't recast, I don't care about Reeves vision of Batman if that is set apart of the DCEU. Wonder Woman proved that the DCEU can work and when it works it's literally on fire.  

Your just highlighting the difference between DC and Marvel.

DC movies are director driven Artisan movies, Marvel are not.

There is no director vision in Marvel movies, they are all created back at central office every scene is storyboaded down to the minutest detail, directors are interchangable, doesn't matter who it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, XO21 said:

The auteur directors brought MOS, BvS and SS in the DCEU 

They also bought Superman, the Dark Night Trilogy and Wonder Woman.

In other studios you got Deadpool and Logan.

You have to take the rough with the smooth.

Edited by AndyK

1 minute ago, AndyK said:

The also bought the Superman, the Dark Night Trilogy and Wonder Woman.

You have to take the rough with the smooth.

Superman truly came out 40 years ago...

6 hours ago, Wonder89 said:

Mayweather or McGregor?

Mayweather. Easily.

But I'm honestly rooting for McGregor, because if he wins (or even comes remotely close to winning), only one of those guys' careers will be hurt. :sparta:

Edited by MCKillswitch123

Marvel has allowed some of their directors to do their thing within the established MCU. 

Cap:TFA is totally a Joe Johnson type movie. It's pulpy action adventure fun which is Johnson's style. 

You can completely tell that Whedon directed TA

Guardians Vol1 and 2 are all about James Gunn. They've absolutely let him run wild with those movies. 

And say what you want about IM3 but that movie, like Gvol1/2, is all about Shane Black. They basically let him put his writing and directing flare all over that movie. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Marvel has allowed some of their directors to do their thing within the established MCU. 

Cap:TFA is totally a Joe Johnson type movie. It's pulpy action adventure fun which is Johnson's style. 

You can completely tell that Whedon directed TA

Guardians Vol1 and 2 are all about James Gunn. They've absolutely let him run wild with those movies. 

And say what you want about IM3 but that movie, like Gvol1/2, is all about Shane Black. They basically let him put his writing and directing flare all over that movie. 

Nah....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-movies-how-important-are-directors-944030

28 minutes ago, AndyK said:

"With Marvel, things are different. It's not only that Marvel's movies share an aesthetic so that the different installments don't just become consistent, but virtually interchangeable — it's that, as of Ant-Man, Marvel has literally made their products interchangeable."

I see no lies there^^^

8 hours ago, AndyK said:

Your just highlighting the difference between DC and Marvel.

DC movies are director driven Artisan movies, Marvel are not.

There is no director vision in Marvel movies, they are all created back at central office every scene is storyboaded down to the minutest detail, directors are interchangable, doesn't matter who it is.

I think somehow people have gotten "director" mixed up with "writer".   Those are two different jobs.

The director doesn't write the movie.   He's handed a script and he makes the movie based on that script.   Marvel by necessity has to follow a certainly story line.   If a director thinks he is a writer too then he will need to work somewhere else.  

Obviously directors are allowed to direct Marvel movies their way.   Not sure how that is even being discussed.   If you can't tell the difference in the directing style between stuff like Avengers, Winter Soldier, and GotG...I'm not sure what you are looking at.  They can't just start rewriting the movie though.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Obviously directors are allowed to direct Marvel movies their way.   Not sure how that is even being discussed.

Except casting, colour palette, camera, product placement, many product design/costume choice already made, and a long list of obligation of that genre no ? A lot of a director way is in pre-post production, the hired team, the cast, etc.. their is a lot of variable that will not be under your control if you go direct a universe movie (even in the context of a fixed script). Not many case when you watch a Marvel movie that you would be able to name the director if they would have not said is name, just by watching a segment with is recognisable visual style, is usual theme, etc..

20 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

The director doesn't write the movie.   He's handed a script and he makes the movie based on that script.  

Not always for big name with final cut director doing their vision.

Has for the director between interchangeable that is a bit overblown, Guardian of the Galaxy sideline being a counter example, but for some entry it does feel like it.

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Patty Jenkins was imposed more on Wonder Woman by Warner-Snyder than on your average MCU movie.

Not sure how you would know any of this, but using a second feature/first big one director on a movie franchise universe as some bar now (would it not be the last example to use) ? What next, better than on Star Wars side stories director ? ;)

Judge by her second WB movie if she does one.

Edited by Barnack

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure how you would know any of this, but using a second feature/first big one director on a movie franchise universe as some bar now (would it not be the last example to use) ? What next, better than on Star Wars side stories director ? ;)

Judge by her second WB movie if she does one.

By watching the movie.