Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Or batb didn't make $600m cos of boycott. WW itself had that weird boycott due to all female screenings. Are there any big films which were affected due to controversies like birth of a nation?

WB and the people that made WW had NOTHING to do with the female screenings. It was just the Alamo theater company.
So why boycott the movie? That never made a lick of sense.

I think he's a fraud as a feminist ally. I also think that all men aren't really feminist allies. Regardless how well intentioned they are - or think they are, myself included. That's a fight that women need to fight, and the best men can do try to become self aware and change how they think their own masculinity. With that said, it's not like Whedon hasn't historically a great relationship with all of his "muses" throughout the years. So what I'm saying is that unless an actress come out saying that he sexually harassed her, I don't see how we can blame him on that. If both parties were willing we can't really know how much is true that they were abused by him. The person I pity more in this whole ordeal is his ex-wife, but at same time their kids. This story is ugly, but doing divorces for a living made me conscious that good people cheat and abuse each other and I don't really see the point of blaming one party or another. Relationships end. I'm not entirely convinced that we as a species were even born to live monogamical relationships, even though that's not an excuse to what he made her go through. The first signs that my relationships aren't working out I abandon ship and do my best to be remembered as a good memory, but there are always bad blood, there's not such a thing as perfect endings in real life. 

39 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

A twitter boycott has never hurt a movie. Twitter boycotted Wonder Woman because Gal Gadot is from Israel and that in no way harmed the movie. Stop treating Twitter boycotts as if they mean anything.

Many would have pointed Birth of a nation has an example of controversy really hurting a movie, but after how similar Detroit did open to it with almost 1000 more theaters...:

Birth: 7,004,254 / 2,105 theaters

Detroit: 7,125,601 / 3,007 theaters

It is really unclear how much the controversy had a role here (Detroit bigger cast, bigger director name, bigger release, better reviews),maybe it would have done less than 5% more without a controversy (except if without the controversy the reviews would have been better, that is possible but that make it an indirect factor)

Ghost in the shell would be an other example brought up, but apparently a really small percentage of even the social media traffic about the movie was about the controversy.

I'M not sure we ever got a twitter boycott too about a movie, it was always an extremely fringe portion of the 300 million twitter users turned into something by us and the media, it was never 40 million on twitter boycotting movie X, often less than 1 million (0.3%).

It is not about stopping treating twitter has if it mean anything or something, it is about stopping treating less than 1 million people has if they were something (regardless of the platform), that is an old reflex of the pass (when the media were estimating that for every complain letter of complain call you had around 100 people piss that didn't took the time and energy to formula a complain,  with the Internet and how easy it is that ratio need to adjusted way way down)

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I'm worried about Gal, Amy, Amber and Diane Lane. I hope none of them were sexually harassed on the set. Jesus, what a nightmare. Guess that Batgirl movie won't happen now...

Yeah, Zack Snyder would never have done such an awful thing.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I'm worried about Gal, Amy, Amber and Diane Lane. I hope none of them were sexually harassed on the set. Jesus, what a nightmare. Guess that Batgirl movie won't happen now...

Not exactly sure if serious, but a really doubt it is something you do to mega established veteran millionaire on a assemble studio movie set in 2017 has a replacement director.

9 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Yeah, Zack Snyder would never have done such an awful thing.

They were also lucky to have Ben Affleck looking out for them.

But all that pales in comparison to how cherished and protected young men must have felt on the set of Singer's X-Men movies

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

DHs8Q-9U0AIcF6P.jpg

DHs8QwRUIAAQ6oP.jpg

DHs8QJIV0AA_3jf.jpg

DHszGH2WAAEJRyD.jpg

If you're a (talented, cute, snarky) actor in search of a tough-love mentor, you could do worse than Joss Whedon. The creator of Buffy, Angel, and Firefly admits he was cajoled to finally return to television, and delay a film project or two, by protégé–Buffy nemesis Eliza Dushku. A marathon lunch at the Ivy last year yielded the idea for Dollhouse, the memory-swiped-operative-chicks show that premieres on Fox in January. "I was mentioning writers, but Eliza kept saying 'Don't you want to do it? Don't you want to do it? Look how cute I am!' And she's really cute," allowed the strawberry-blond auteur at last night's after-party for the Fox upfronts at Wollman Rink.

Source: http://www.vulture.com/2008/05/joss_whedon_on_how_he_staged_a.html

Remember the Buffy movie remake that is (uh, hopefully not) happening? Stating that she does get asked about it a lot, her answer has never waived. “My feeling is… to do it without Joss (Whedon) is really disappointing. I feel it would do more harm to the franchise than good. Or maybe not. But it doesn’t make much sense without any of the key players involved. Why call it Buffy? They should just call it something else.

Source: http://smallscreenscoop.com/charisma-carpenter-speaks-about-joss-whedon-world-and-buffy-season-3/

Your point?

They don't seem to be talking about a sexual predator here. If one day a story comes out about Snyder having an affair with an actress that wouldn't surprise me one single bit, to be honest, just like I'm not surprised with Whedon. They live surrounded by incredibly talented women and people in real life are flawed as fuck. 

What I think is that Whedon was indeed an asshole to his ex-wife. But to his "muses" though? Unless someone comes out and say it, I call bull on that. 

Edited by iJackSparrow

In lighter cooler news, I haven't been this freaking excited for a superhero comic book saga since Infinity. Not really the latest Secret Wars, that thing screamed a bad editorial mandate idea from its very beginning. Hickman did the best he could with that, but yeah, it sucked. Infinity is easily his Avengers/Marvel best work. Now for Doomsday Clock:

IT LOOKS FUCKING AMAZING. I'm so ready for Clark taking down Manhattan that isn't even funny. 

• Like 1