Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Black Panther is a good movie but the only thing that really makes it stands out from the other MCU is its theme connecting to real life social and racial politics. To some that is a negative but I personally enjoy that aspect. 

In terms of an enjoyable movie, I dont see how its better then Guardians 1 or Iron Man 1 really. 

4 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yes it's a shocker that an MCU film would get more hype and viewage than a mid budget comedy sequel. Can you name any other films with a $200M budget that has a primarily black cast?

Well of course you do since it's criticising Disney. Do you feel the same about WB who promoted WW as a huge female event despite making 6 Superman and 7 Batman films before making one Wonder Woman film?

And made a Catwoman movie before a Wonder Woman movie.

Edited by Walt Disney

4 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yes it's a shocker that an MCU film would get more hype and viewage than a mid budget comedy sequel. Can you name any other films with a $200M budget that has a primarily black cast?

that's not really his point. Yes it's the first $200m budget film to have black cast, but he's saying it was marketed as some kind of salvation, like a holy grail for black people, as if there'd never been a black focused big movie before or never been black superhero. They clearly succeeded in that marketing.

On 6/1/2019 at 12:48 AM, AnDr3s said:

the swamp thing pilot was great damn it looked like a movie.

Swamp Thing is the only show on this fledgling outlet I have interest in seeing. Seeing reports similar to this across the net which is encouraging. Looking at the yearly price, $75, for the DC Universe network though is not something I'm willing to do. The other features/shows/etc on the platform aren't enticing enough.

I'll just have to wait.

26 minutes ago, Avatree said:

that's not really his point. Yes it's the first $200m budget film to have black cast, but he's saying it was marketed as some kind of salvation, like a holy grail for black people, as if there'd never been a black focused big movie before or never been black superhero. They clearly succeeded in that marketing.

Yes they definitely pushed that angle in the marketing but clearly there was also an actual big appetite for that type of movie too or it wouldn't have worked. If he or she thinks Black Panther got to $1.3B+ cause it was some social obligation for people to watch it then I completely disagree (same with Captain Marvel). 

6 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Oh, so now we have conditions.

Conditions I didn't realize we were supposed to factor in.

So, "black" movies don't matter to you social justice pretenders; only "black" movies that have big budgets, earn Disney's all white Executive Leadership even more wealth than they already have, are based on black characters created by whites and Jews, and have endings that make you satisfied and comfortable. (#KillmongerWasRight, by the way.)

You should present the conditions beforehand, or else you just come across as hypocritical.

Well of course you do since it's criticising Disney. Do you feel the same about WB who promoted WW as a huge female event despite making 6 Superman and 7 Batman films before making one Wonder Woman film?

How have I been critical of Disney? I love the MCU as a storytelling franchise, not as a "pat on the head," "thk u 4 seeeeeinng my blkness, Disney" you want it to be for me.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Black Panther is a good movie but the only thing that really makes it stands out from the other MCU is its theme connecting to real life social and racial politics. To some that is a negative but I personally enjoy that aspect. 

In terms of an enjoyable movie, I dont see how its better then Guardians 1 or Iron Man 1 really. 

I find it amusing that - and this never fails - my social justice pretender, so-called "allies" break down to extreme dismissiveness (see @RobrtmanAStarWarsReference, who, like approximately... all... of social justice pretenders, had never really spoken to a black person outside those behind the gas station counter or their waiter/waitress until about the mid-00's, when it was necessary for them to up their political correctness credibility) and vitriol when informed I see past and through their patronizing condescension.

How ironic is it to be told by my "allies" that I must accept "recognition" in the form of a Hollywood movie where a hero-agent of the Central Intelligence Agency of the United States of America, an organization that has been anti-black and anti-African throughout its entire history and even through today, teams up with the leader of a fictional African kingdom to put an end to a plan that would end the oppression of distantly related people groups - for the sake of upholding the continuance of the white American and European status quo. 🤣

Let me LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOO real quick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, I Am said:

I should rephrase my quote from earlier and say that while we don't need to be patronized like stupid little children, there are many of us who, unfortunately, happily will bend over for white "acceptance."

"Black Panther" was a $100+ million film, because it was a Marvel Cinematic Universe film first and a Disney film second. The marketing for the movie - convincing black folks there have never been any "black" movies, so we absolutely need to give Disney's completely non-black executives and board of directors a billion dollars for "empowerment" - was more outstanding than the movie itself was.

"Shaft" doesn't interest you, and most of the community (no one is talking about it,) because it doesn't have quwhite (not a typo) have -the same level of pre-approved hype from those who did got their "social justice warrior" sticker for seeing a "black" movie (lmfao) last year, and have moved on to the next group that "needs" their patronization.

My goodness, this is such an awful take. The fact that you are even trying to make a comparison between Black Panther and Shaft is wholly ridiculous. A comedy sequel to a movie that came out nearly 20 years ago, which in itself was no blockbuster, being compared to any big budget super hero movie in any way is an absolute joke. 

I can tell you that as a black woman who enjoyed the last Shaft movie, I have very little interest in this sequel because it looks corny and just plain bad, not to mention that the guy playing Shaft's son is relatively unknown and looks to be a miscast with zero sex appeal. The latter is half of what made Shaft appealing in the first place. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

My goodness, this is such an awful take. The fact that you are even trying to make a comparison between Black Panther and Shaft is wholly ridiculous. A comedy sequel to a movie that came out nearly 20 years ago, which in itself was no blockbuster, being compared to any big budget super hero movie in any way is an absolute joke. 

I can tell you that as a black woman who enjoyed the last Shaft movie, I have very little interest in this sequel because it looks corny and just plain bad, not to mention that the guy playing Shaft's son is relatively unknown and looks to be a miscast with zero sex appeal. The latter is half of what made Shaft appealing in the first place. 

The reason you're not interested in the movie is because your favored group are no longer interested in "black" movies and therefore you don't have any of their approval or acceptance to latch onto to boost your self-esteem. This unfortunate mindset is quite common to observe.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, I Am said:

The reason you're not interested in the movie is because your favored group are no longer interested in "black" movies and therefore you don't have any of their approval or acceptance to latch onto to boost your self-esteem. This unfortunate mindset is quite common to observe.

Lol I see you're one not to be taken seriously. 

• Like 1

I’ve said this already, but I guess it bears repeating once more. The reason Black Panther is seen as culturally significant isn’t that it stars a black man, but that it’s a big budget Hollywood blockbuster featuring a cast that’s almost entirely comprised of black people. Sure, there have been big movies in the past with black people in major roles (hell, Suicide Squad was one of them), but a big budget movie that revolves almost exclusively around black people, and that doesn’t feature black people living in poverty or being oppressed by white people, is a pretty significant milestone for Hollywood.

For the record, I certainly didn’t think the movie itself was Best Picture material, but it’s not hard to see why people made such a big deal out of it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

For the record, I certainly didn’t think the movie itself was Best Picture material, but it’s not hard to see why people made such a big deal out of it. 

Neither do I and I loved BP. It benefited from the fact that 2018 was straight up garbage for Best Picture.

Just now, WittyUsername said:

I’ve said this already, but I guess it bears repeating once more. The reason Black Panther is seen as culturally significant isn’t that it stars a black man, but that it’s a big budget Hollywood blockbuster featuring a cast that’s almost entirely comprised of black people. Sure, there have been big movies in the past with black people in major roles (hell, Suicide Squad was one of them), but a big budget movie that revolves almost exclusively around black people, and that doesn’t feature black people living in poverty or being oppressed by white people, is a pretty significant milestone for Hollywood.

And as I've responded, the "conditions" necessary ("big budget" and "blockbuster") for social justice pretenders "allies" and their pets to express "interest" in seeing films with a predominantly black cast means they're cappin' for social clout. If there were true "interest" in supporting "black" films, these folks wouldn't need a massive Disney hype campaign to convince them to actually do so.

• Like 1

Before February 2018: "#SUPPORTBLACKFILMSANDDIRECTORSANDACTORSHOLLYWOODWECANMAKEYOULOTSOFMONEYREPRESENTUSANDSEEUS"

June 2019: "#IAINTGOTNOINTERESTINTHATCORNYASSMOVIEIDGAFABOUTTHEBLACKASSDIRECTORORORTHEBLACKCASTIONLYSEEBIGBUDGETBLACKMOVIESLOLFOH"

Edited by I Am

20 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Neither do I and I loved BP. It benefited from the fact that 2018 was straight up garbage for Best Picture.

It benefitted from the fact that it was a phenomenon. A movie that ticks off just about every box (critical acclaim, huge box office success, thematically rich/thoughtful narrative) was always going to be hard to "snub" regardless of the quality of other contenders.

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Like 3