Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

12 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Tv has lost me, a long time ago. I am hesitant to start a new series because of the inevitable exec fuck up once it gets popular with the twitter crowds.

Still, as a Moore fan I'm very tempted to watch it.

Thoughts on the Watchmen HBO show?

11 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Tv has lost me, a long time ago. I am hesitant to start a new series because of the inevitable exec fuck up once it gets popular with the twitter crowds.

Still, as a Moore fan I'm very tempted to watch it.

I feel the same way. I rarely watch any TV, a documentary here and there, and a few HBO miniseries when I hear good things about them. My love for Swamp Thing makes me interested though, although I know it'll probably be a train wreck. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Not gonna bother with that. The watchmen movie was bad enough for me. 

The most recent Doomsday Clock (#10) is a high point of what is a middling story I feel. Johns managed to get Manhattan's tone correct even if I don't really like the situation DM has been put into. 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2019 at 5:31 AM, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I feel like anyone who seriously uses the term SJW has some serious bigoted skeletons in their closet.

And I feel like this forum is a bubble of extreme liberal politics, but what can you do? I don't know anyone in real life who doesn't laugh out loud at social justice warriors. It's a joke. And it's a serious problem in our society that everything has to become an "issue." I flat out won't be friends with someone like that, I have no tolerance for PC bullshit. I don't befriend racists, either, but I can't tolerate the kind of person who makes every single thing into a social justice issue, where if there's ever a female character in any movie, it's a crime against humanity if she's not "kick ass" and "career driven," like a character has to be a statement about your political position in every case whatsoever. It's absolutely ridiculous.

It's even more ridiculous to try to make Black Panther -- a freakin' Marvel movie about as deep as a puddle -- into some big social justice moment where black people finally were "allowed" to act or something. Oh wow, people went to see a movie with BLACK PEOPLE, this is a watershed moment for society! Holy shit I mean I'm only 36, but where were these people when Independence Day ruled the summer box office? Everyone in my class saw that movie at least once or twice in theaters. We didn't go see it for Jeff Goldblum, as much as I love him, and I didn't see MIB for Tommy Lee Jones, either. I saw it for Will Smith, as did most people. It's like I'm living in crazy town, some alternate reality where no movie starring black people has ever succeeded at the box office, and Black Panther was the first. It's absolutely asinine and frankly completely laughable from a film history perspective because it's factually just wrong. It wasn't unique in any way whatsoever.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

3 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

And I feel like this forum is a bubble of extreme liberal politics, but what can you do? I don't know anyone in real life who doesn't laugh out loud at social justice warriors. It's a joke. And it's a serious problem in our society that everything has to become an "issue." I flat out won't be friends with someone like that, I have no tolerance for PC bullshit. I don't befriend racists, either, but I can't tolerate the kind of person who makes every single thing into a social justice issue, where if there's ever a female character in any movie, it's a crime against humanity if she's not "kick ass" and "career driven," like a character has to be a statement about your political position in every case whatsoever. It's absolutely ridiculous.

It's even more ridiculous to try to make Black Panther -- a freakin' Marvel movie about as deep as a puddle -- into some big social justice moment where black people finally were "allowed" to act or something. Oh wow, people went to see a movie with BLACK PEOPLE, this is a watershed moment for society! Holy shit I mean I'm only 36, but where were these people when Independence Day ruled the summer box office? Everyone in my class saw that movie at least once or twice in theaters. We didn't go see it for Jeff Goldblum, as much as I love him, and I didn't see MIB for Tommy Lee Jones, either. I saw it for Will Smith, as did most people. It's like I'm living in crazy town, some alternate reality where no movie starring black people has ever succeeded at the box office, and Black Panther was the first. It's absolutely asinine and frankly completely laughable from a film history perspective because it's factually just wrong. It wasn't unique in any way whatsoever.

The key difference between Independence Day and Black Panther is that the latter had a cast that predominantly consisted of black people, and in general, was seen as a film that celebrates African culture. I certainly didn’t think the film was anything phenomenal, but it’s not difficult to see why it would be seen as culturally significant. 

While I don't necessarily agree with @JonathanLB in all points made, I have to say that whenever I see someone complaining about "representation" in cape/action movies or fantasy TV, I automatically assume that these people have never faced any adversity in their life and they are completely disconnected from the everyday life out there.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2019 at 4:32 PM, JamesCameronScholar said:

The most recent Doomsday Clock (#10) is a high point of what is a middling story I feel. Johns managed to get Manhattan's tone correct even if I don't really like the situation DM has been put into.  

I haven't read a lot of John's things to be honest, because he's almost always on main continuities, which I generally try to avoid. But I really like him as a person, I even met him once in WB here in London and he's a really great person to hang around and talk comics.

On 5/29/2019 at 4:15 PM, JamesCameronScholar said:

I get the feeling that at this stage it's basically up to Disney. 

From what I suspect, they will likely push it with Spiderman FFH. Otherwise I don't see EG on top at this point, except if plebbit or twatter organizer a mass fan campaign to achieve this

5 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

This post is really what's laughable and asinine. Yikes. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

At least it’s better to have your favorite franchise’s movie be meh BO but you love the film vs great BO movie you hate. 

Though stan the right franchise and you never have to think about this dilemma 😎    

Edited by Thanos Legion

MCU OWs this year (2):

1 1 Avengers: Endgame BV $807,688,784 4,662 $357,115,007 4,662 4/26 -
2 2 Captain Marvel  BV $426,011,433 4,310 $153,433,423 4,310 3/8 -

=510.5M     

(With Spider-man 6-day, over 700M.) 

In contrast, top 9 non-MCU 2019 openings:  

3 5 Aladdin (2019) BV $142,697,174 4,476 $91,500,929 4,476 5/24 -
4 3 Us Uni. $174,891,780 3,743 $71,117,625 3,741 3/22 -
5 8 John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum LG/S $114,652,812 3,850 $56,818,067 3,850 5/17 -
6 4 How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World Uni. $160,596,575 4,286 $55,022,245 4,259 2/22 -
7 7 Pokemon Detective Pikachu WB $123,936,211 4,248 $54,365,242 4,202 5/10 -
8 6 Shazam! WB (NL) $138,690,400 4,306 $53,505,326 4,217 4/5 -
9 9 Dumbo (2019) BV $112,985,882 4,259 $45,990,748 4,259 3/29 -
10 10 Glass Uni. $111,035,005 3,844 $40,328,920 3,841 1/18 4/4
11 12 The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part WB $105,806,508 4,303 $34,115,335 4,303 2/8 5/9

=502M    

Look at the top 3 Disney OWs and you need the next 17(!) biggest OWs of the year to equalize.   

Just brutal for end of 5th month. Things will start to balance out with TS4 and TLK, but still Disney

9 hours ago, AnDr3s said:

the swamp thing pilot was great damn it looked like a movie.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It looked very expensive too, and the cinematography was great; even better than Doom Patrol. If the rest of the season is this good DCU will be 2/3.