Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

23 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

yes making good movies is probably better than being salty at other people's success and those examples are decades old which made under 100M combined. 

he's literally saying "I hope people will still watch my movies". if your movies are good they'll find an audience you don't need to beg them.

I've seen 2 Scorsese films (one was decent with other being great even if it comes off as misogynistic) so he's a decent filmmaker but I'll probably never see a Scorsese film ever again after his petty comments against my favorite franchise. 

My eyes hurt.

40 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I've seen 2 Scorsese films (one was decent with other being great even if it comes off as misogynistic) so he's a decent filmmaker but I'll probably never see a Scorsese film ever again after his petty comments against my favorite franchise. 

Now are you gonna tell me Jaws is just an ok movie? 

Scorsese can be a brilliant film maker (and he is) and STILL have a stupid opinion on Marvel movies. No need to downplay his achievements to prove he's wrong with his latest comments. Disagree with his comments, but don't attack his skills

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

Scorsese can be a brilliant film maker (and he is) and STILL have a stupid opinion on Marvel movies. No need to downplay his achievements to prove he's wrong with his latest comments. Disagree with his comments, but don't attack his skills

Why is he downplaying other more successful  films if he’s confident about this own movies? It only makes him come off as insecure. 

Just now, RealLyre said:

Never seen that one. But the Scorsese movies I was talking about were Silence(slow but decent) and Taxi Driver (great). 

Silence was almost a masterpiece and probably the best film about Christianity after The Last Temptation of Christ (also Scorsese) but ok...

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

Why is he downplaying other more successful  films if he’s confident about this own movies? It only makes him come off as insecure. 

Maybe he is insecure ( i kinda doubt it....he had a hit with Wolf of Wall Street just a few years ago and he's at a age when he has nothing to prove anymore.....his catalogue speaks for itself) . he's still one of the best film makers in the history of cinema. That doesn't mean his opinion on Marvel movies is correct. I think there's a place for every kind of movie. But, it stings when a revered director makes these kind of remarks. People look up to him and take his pinion as fact. but it's just an opinion at the end of the day.

Scorsese is just a man that comes from an entirely differnet era of filmmaking and Hollywood in general. What is certainly true is that blockbuster cinema in these last 10-20 years has more and more shifted to presenting big movies as "events". Many of these films such as the MCU movies, Star Wars and Co. are designed to attract the widest possible audience. Films like Endgame, The Lion King (2019) or The Force Awakens are pure products to generate money. By the way just to avoid confusion: Im not criticizing that and i personally like most of these modern blockbusters - but they are certainly not the kind of films that would come o a person like Scorsese to mind, when they talk about cinema.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Kurosawa is a talentless hack because he said Jurassic Park isn't art /s

I watched Ran the other day and thought it was pure trash. Like several times in the movie they dont talk for nearly a minute! It was said to me that Kurosawa was a master filmmaker and then i have to wait nearly an hour for the first explosion!

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Silence was almost a masterpiece and probably the best film about Christianity after The Last Temptation of Christ (also Scorsese) but ok...

I liked silence but I didn’t think it was almost a masterpiece (too long, pacing was off and kept going in circles in the 2nd half iirc). So one of us has to be wrong?  

I’d give it a rewatch to see if I missed anything but since I don’t watch Scorsese films anymore that’s never happening.

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

I liked silence but I didn’t think it was almost a masterpiece (too long, pacing was off and kept going in circles in the 2nd half iirc). So one of us has to be wrong?  

I’d give it a rewatch to see if I missed anything but since I don’t watch Scorsese films anymore that’s never happening.

What about this: Both of you have a different opinion. And neither of you is "wrong", universally speaking, because both of you are right.

Film is subjecive. As long as you can give proper reasons why you like or didnt like a film, there is no one who can say that you are "wrong".

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

What about this: Both of you have a different opinion. And neither of you is "wrong", universally speaking, because both of you are right.

Film is subjecive. As long as you can give proper reasons why you like or didnt like a film, there is no one who can say that you are "wrong".

Lol film is only subjective if you’re talking about films. 

when you go on theme park rides, you can rate your experience more objectively.  

2 hours ago, RealLyre said:

yes making good movies is probably better than being salty at other people's success and those examples are decades old which made under 100M combined. 

he's literally saying "I hope people will still watch my movies". if your movies are good they'll find an audience you don't need to beg them.

Why am I not surprised you’ve only seen 2?

Also if we’re doing money > quality, Minions is now officially a better movie than most of the MCU as well as movies in general.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

15 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Also if we’re doing money > quality, Minions is now officially a better movie than most of the MCU as well as movies in general.

Money is the measure of quality as long as it fits the narrative.

15 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Still gobsmacked by his not knowing who Akira Kurosawa was.

This is what you get when you have people who brag about never having seen a movie except for maybe Star Wars...made before they were born.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I was talking more about their success rather than quality, which is what Scorsese was upset about. (The MCU being more successful than his films despite their different in quality)

so yes Minions is more successful than most of the MCU. 

but I don't see Marvel directors complaining about Minions do I? 

Just now, RealLyre said:

I was talking more about their success rather than quality, which is what Scorsese was upset about. (The MCU being more successful than his films despite their different in quality)

so yes Minions is more successful than most of the MCU. 

but I don't see Marvel directors complaining about Minions do I? 

So Minions is a better movie? Yes or No? Answer the question.