Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Still gobsmacked by his not knowing who Akira Kurosawa was.

This is what you get when you have people who brag about never having seen a movie except for maybe Star Wars...made before they were born.

never seen anything by him so I have no idea who Akira Kurosawa is. unless you've seen a film by someone there's no way you could know who that person is.  

the other poster didn't specify which Kurosawa he was referring to and Akira Kurosawa isn't the only Japanese filmmaker with that last name. 

also regarding your other comment bragging about seeing more old movies (stuff from the 90s or 2000s etc) only makes you sound more snobbish, as if older movies are inherently better. and I've seen plenty of films made before 2000.

• Knock It Off 3

14 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

never seen anything by him so I have no idea who Akira Kurosawa is. unless you've seen a film by someone there's no way you could know who that person is.  

the other poster didn't specify which Kurosawa he was referring to and Akira Kurosawa isn't the only Japanese filmmaker with that last name. 

also regarding your other comment bragging about seeing more old movies (stuff from the 90s or 2000s etc) only makes you sound more snobbish, as if older movies are inherently better. and I've seen plenty of films made before 2000.

Don’t take this the wrong way. How old are you? Not cause of your film choices but the latter comment.

Just now, RealLyre said:

the fact that I've seen plenty of non-star wars films made before I was born already disproves your point so I don't follow 🙄 

Capture.PNG

I can pronouce all those titles RealLyre, you need to become patrician like me and you're far off.

6 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Don’t take this the wrong way. How old are you? Not cause of your film choices but the latter comment.

18, but judging by how much people here worship oldschool movies and how almost every list ranking is for movies from the 20th century I wouldn't be surprised if the average age here is like mid 20s (or maybe even early 30s). 

• Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

To reclarify not an attack on character but the comment of 90s/00s movies being old.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I would imagine almost 100% of the young people know Charlie Chaplin, with a small proportion having seen a movie, almost everyone with a movie interest will know Burter Keaton without having need to have seen one of is movie, same for Kurosawa. A bit like you do not need to have seen any Hitchcock, Allen, Ford, DeMille to know you they were and some of the movie they done, they transcended the medium in pop culture.

• Like 5

I think the frustration is that Marvel is dominating theaters but it's doing the same formulaic thing over and over, while movies like Batman v Superman and Wonder Woman proved comic book movies can be popular and make a lot of money and yet still touch on political issues and have something to say. But Marvel plays it safe and it's dominating cinemas and is influencing other studios to pursue that same cheap and lazy result, and future is not looking good. It's pushing real artistic movies out of theaters and into streaming, so for people who love seeing real movies in a movie screen that's frustrating. Even directors who try to use the big studio, big budget machine to make art are bullied by critics and bloggers, like what happened to Zack Snyder.

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

18, but judging by how much people here worship oldschool movies and how almost every list ranking is for movies from the 20th century I wouldn't be surprised if the average age here is like mid 20s (or maybe even early 30s). 

19, I have watched a wide range of films from the 50s to recently but am still looking to widen my film library. There’s definitely a few standouts this decade I’d include for myself both smaller and bigger films. 

Anyways, the comment is mainly about tentpoles taking up space and focus. While there’s no denying that The Godfather would never making the same money as tentpoles now, there’s much more of a focus now on them then there was in the 90s/00s as well as the popularity of Netflix and streaming and expenses of moviegoing, the amount of theatrical mid budget films are starting to sadly wain as distributors are looking for their next MCU many would rather take chances on something like Dark Phoenix or Men In Black: International then creative risks or mid budget films. Sure we have a few stand outs nowadays like Nolan and Peele but it’s much harder now to get voices like them theatrical.

I know it’s definitely a first world problem and the changes of the general audience but it’s still not a good thing.

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I think the frustration is that Marvel is dominating theaters but it's doing the same formulaic thing over and over, while movies like Batman v Superman and Wonder Woman proved comic book movies can be popular and make a lot of money and yet still touch on political issues and have something to say. But Marvel plays it safe and it's dominating cinemas and is influencing other studios to pursue that same cheap and lazy result, and future is not looking good. It's pushing real artistic movies out of theaters and into streaming, so for people who love seeing real movies in a movie screen that's frustrating. Even directors who try to use the big studio, big budget machine to make art are bullied by critics and bloggers, like what happened to Zack Snyder.

What political issues did Batman V Superman touch well exactly? All I remember was Luthor rambling about unlimited power being unchecked but the film goes nowhere else with it and the pedestrian Jesus/Superman allegory. I mean themes are there but it’s not done well.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

What political issues did Batman V Superman touch well exactly? All I remember was Luthor rambling about unlimited power being unchecked but the film goes nowhere else with it and the pedestrian Jesus/Superman allegory

Never had the courage to rewatch that movie, but was it commenting about the rather unilateral invasion of Irak type of American's interventionism ?

• Haha 1

Just now, WittyUsername said:

I didn’t even realize some of the people here were so young. That sure makes me feel old. 

Yup if you were born in the say mid 80s, in early 2000s you would have probably called movies of the 70s old movies... so people born after 2000 will say that of 90s movies.

Make it a bit strange to hear, but quite normal.

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Being young isn't a good excuse for not having seen many movies. I'm 18 and I've seen about 190 films (that aren't Star Wars) from before I was born.

first of all 18 isn't young, people can get married around that age here.

second why should the fact that you've seen so many old movies mean anything? why are they better than more modern contemporary films? 

according to Letterboxd I've seen around 393 films and 316 of them are from the 2010s and I don't see what makes modern movies any lesser than films made from the 20th century. films like Parasite,I Saw the Devil, Roma, Captain Marvel, A Star is Born, Midsommar and Capernaum are as valid as anything made from decades ago.