Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Superman didn't had a mask:

https://gizmodo.com/why-superheroes-wear-their-underwear-on-the-outside-1491511428

I think old circus performer is a common thought source of influence of the first SH looks.

Read a few more sources Barnack old boy. There is actually a really long and quite interesting history between the birth of comic books and the Klan.

At this stage Birth of a Nation is required viewing if one wants to fully understand modern comic book heroes.

• Astonished 1

Just now, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Remember that one time Superman was used to dismantle the actual KKK?

One of the better stories, and an inspiration for the power of radio and media without a doubt. It does not however negate the fact that comic book heroes are themselves heavily shaped by BoaN and the Klan. :jeb!:

• Like 1

Just now, LaughingEvans said:

@ChipMunky they've been known as the academic left since the 70s mate. What should I call them?

Also, the fact that they pull shit like this even years after Sokal called them out is hilarious.

I sometimes wonder if dublab and chipmunky are themselves a complex sequel to the Sokal affair. There's an academic out there laughing that they've convinced us those posters aren't a machine learning algorithm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, AJG said:

I think it’s more to do the literal onslaught of negativity. 

The constant complaining about this movie is fucking weird. It’s been 9 months. Whole new life could be conceived and born in the time Star Wars fans have been screaming about this movie.

Well, in fact I will respect anyone who liked or disliked the flick, based on their own opinion. But apart from those, you have 2 radicalized sides that keep challenging one another with constant bullshit*. 

*Like claiming that the movie was liked, but it was comrades Constantin and Yuri that constantly shitposted on twitter about it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Yes. Sadly it is.

https://lithub.com/how-the-kkk-shaped-modern-comic-book-superheroes/

Is the infamous modern education system rearing its ugly head again? Learn some history.

this is interesting really i guess it is hard for american culture to avoid this type of influence if we look at the history of the country although this also probably true for most imperial powers 

Still very interesting to know this 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I sometimes wonder if dublab and chipmunky are themselves a complex sequel to the Sokal affair. There's an academic out there laughing that they've convinced us those posters aren't a machine learning algorithm.

It's one of those not so rare times where tragic irony catches up with reality.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Box Office Theory Fan said:

this is interesting really i guess it is hard for american culture to avoid this type of influence if we look at the history of the country although this also probably true for most imperial powers 

Still very interesting to know this 

Problem is that the black and white morals that are transcended through this are so ingrained in modern society that the moment someone disagrees with us we assume they're a terrible person.

• Like 1

What that ridiculous article basically boils down to is that CB’s are heavily influenced by the KKK simply because both are masked vigilantes operating outside the law doing what they think is right. 

That’s it. There is no other evidence or clear links provided. The author basically stripped the stories of every substance and any nuances into bare bolts. The author and the desperate person peddling this nonsense on here forgets that this trope predates both of these things. There have been others with similar tropes. That does not mean they were influenced by the KKK too. 

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I'll ignore the post attempting to hide obvious racial prejudices that contains absolutely no refutation of my argument, and rubbishes clear evidence, and without posting any more links on the topic (as those who wish to learn the actual history behind it are more than capable of doing a google search I'm sure) I'll leave you with only a quote...

It's by a man who I suspect knows more (no pun intended) than some keyboard warrior with a white comic book character as an avatar about the history of comics:

‘The origin of capes and masks as ubiquitous superhero accessories can be deduced from a close viewing of D.W. Griffiths’ Birth of a Nation

- Alan Moore

Although maybe I'm wrong, maybe we have luminaries amongst us who truly are more in the know than a man who has shaped the modern landscape of comics as we know them. :hahaha:

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

CB’s are heavily influenced by the KKK.

So you agree then.

24 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I'll ignore the post attempting to hide obvious racial prejudices that contains absolutely no refutation of my argument, and rubbishes clear evidence, and without posting any more links on the topic (as those who wish to learn the actual history behind it are more than capable of doing a google search I'm sure) I'll leave you with only a quote...

It's by a man who I suspect knows more (no pun intended) than some keyboard warrior with a white comic book character as an avatar about the history of comics:

- Alan Moore

Although maybe I'm wrong, maybe we have luminaries amongst us who truly are more in the know than a man who has shaped the modern landscape of comics as we know them. :hahaha:

JCS making people look dumb as usual. It's a man against boys.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, LaughingEvans said:

Well, in fact I will respect anyone who liked or disliked the flick, based on their own opinion. But apart from those, you have 2 radicalized sides that keep challenging one another with constant bullshit*. 

*Like claiming that the movie was liked, but it was comrades Constantin and Yuri that constantly shitposted on twitter about it.

Nobody claimed that, you really really smart person.

50 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Nobody claimed that, you really really smart person.

It is one of those crude over simplification that just make conversation about anything online quite hard, with people fighting strawmen over each other heads.

The claim (going from memory of the article, I am sure that LaughinsEvans didn't read it and for good reason it is impressively soft >science" and frustrating to read) 

Around 80% positive, 20% negative.

IF you remove sock account, maybe bot, politicially charged critics, about 90%-10%