Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

51 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Hell, you don't even need to tread into the history of the origins of the superhero to have problems ideologically: there's the slightly fascist and problematic law and order view that many superhero lores can inadvertently promote (despite being in the defense of the oppressed or in the defense of democracy). 

One last thing. I really dont care much about the above point. Anyone familiar with CBM would know what you said. People who may have read the very older comics would know that there were problematic prints consisting of misogyny/sexism/homophobia/racist portrayals/etc. But that was a reflection of what society was at that point. I’m glad that that is not where we are now. I’m glad that comic books for a long time now have stood for inclusiveness and good values. Heck we now have a migrant non white teenage muslim female superhero in Marvel called Kamala Khan. Thats where we have come to. And that is why i dont care about the past or the origins. I care about the present and the future. But most importantly I care about enjoying these things without going into deep analysis and without having to hear from or engaging with a troll. 

Outside of Avatar 2 that will do 3,5B WW, I wonder what franchise will get the next 2B WW grosser ?

Avengers 4 I dunno ...

and ?

Putin & Trump Fight The Liberals Apocalypse ?

Edited by The Futurist

8 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

I always encourage members to use the "ignore" feature for their own sanity. :) 

I dont have anyone on ignore and never will.

Ignoring the views of others is how we end up in the mess we are in at the moment (politically).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Outside of Avatar 2 that will do 3,5B WW, I wonder what franchise will get the next 2B WW grosser ?

Avengers 4 I dunno ...

and ?

Putin & Trump Fight The Liberals Apocalypse ?

Lion King seem a possible.

10 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

I'm not entirely sure why JCS thinks a liberal can't like CBMs and superhero comic books just because you can find connections between the way the KKK was romanticized by bigots and some superhero tropes. Hell, you don't even need to tread into the history of the origins of the superhero to have problems ideologically: there's the slightly fascist and problematic law and order view that many superhero lores can inadvertently promote (despite being in the defense of the oppressed or in the defense of democracy). 

Instead of getting mad, just realize that JCS's initial premise is absurd. You can like something as a whole despite disliking parts of the history and disagreeing with parts of its message. I still like superhero movies but I wouldn't necessarily want to live in their universe for many reasons. Unless I had superpowers myself. :P 

I'm glad we both agree on interpretation and on the quality of the source. However, I can't help but feel you have misinterpreted my initial assertion. Go back and re-read what I wrote. I never said that liberal people can't enjoy comic books, super heroes, or anything else. I was merely pointing out that much of their history and origins is based on ideas and actions that are in direct opposition to so called "liberal" beliefs. 

I have said it many times before, I regard myself as a classical liberal, in the vein of Adam Smith or Wilhelm von Humboldt so am not attacking the position in "bad faith" as Rukio wrongly asserted either. I was making the point precisely because of the problems that we see in the worlds of these people, and because of the close history between the two. To hide that history is to my mind, a profound mistake, one that we see embodied in ZeeSoh's need to ignore everyone that presents an opposing viewpoint. 

I hope that clarifies my position, and I must say I thank you for being one of the only people who has actually engaged me on a serious level, one that doesn't skirt the drain of historical revisionism, or an adolescent reactionary political diatribe. 

10 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

I still like superhero movies but I wouldn't necessarily want to live in their universe for many reasons. Unless I had superpowers myself.

This is where we disagree, and agree. I dislike the vast majority of the heroes precisely because they would, if they were real, be benevolent fascists, totally beyond the law and without any real sense of moral compass. Take Batman for example, he's a billionaire, fights blue collar crime and seems to find white collar crime quite okay... instead of funding his wealth into programs that would actually drop the crime rate and punish those that actually deeply impact society, he finds it morally justified to beat up the working poor. 

So yes, I would not want to live in their world either, especially not to be around those who think that beating up a man for stealing a loaf of bread is more conducive to fixing societies ills than punishing those that caused the subprime mortgage crisis as one example. 

9 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Nonsense, boot licking, and back peddling. 

I still don't understand your use of the word "troll" than to mean anything other than "person I disagree with". I think your statements using ableist slurs and suspect use of historical data tells everyone what they need to know about you. 

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Ignoring the views of others is how we end up in the mess we are in at the moment (politically).

Agreed. Living in a narrative bubble gives people a deeply flawed view of the world. We should be open to free discussion, and free expression. I would always encourage people to remember that there are PoVs other than their own, for their own sanity. Otherwise you end up so far from humanity... and that is a terrible thing to waste. 

It does make me wonder on Moore's point though... I wonder if the reason that these types of people who are so happy to ignore viewpoints outside their own are attracted to comic books and their type of stories is because they really do need to escape their own circumstances. I hope this is not the case as I find the idea of that profoundly sad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Hehehe this will get interesting 

not really, JCS will give a long response to and make chippedmonkey look dumb then chippermonked will just give a 1 line reply

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

not really, JCS will give a long response to and make chippedmonkey look dumb then chippermonked will just give a 1 line reply

If only there was something substantive to reply to... the first part is merely name calling and lacks any sense (typical of Chip), and the second part is patently false. I have heard Alan Moore state on numerous occasions, that he is not only uneducated, but quite undereducated. So in terms of what he believes himself to be, Moore has certainly not claimed himself an intellectual.

If he is however referring to Moore's work itself as overly smart, again that goes directly against the intent of Moore himself:

"I don't set out to make stories that are too difficult for people to read, quite the opposite I really want as many people to be able to read the stories as possible." - Alan Moore

Maybe his stories are a bit too difficult for you personally Chip, but I'd say the average 12 year old wouldn't really struggle with anything outside of Voice of the Fire and Jerusalem, which don't even come into the discussion we're having here (those are difficult and J profoundly so).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

37 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

If only there was something substantive to reply to... the first part is merely name calling and lacks any sense (typical of Chip), and the second part is patently false. I have heard Alan Moore state on numerous occasions, that he is not only uneducated, but quite undereducated. So in terms of what he believes himself to be, Moore has certainly not claimed himself an intellectual.

If he is however referring to Moore's work itself as overly smart, again that goes directly against the intent of Moore himself:

"I don't set out to make stories that are too difficult for people to read, quite the opposite I really want as many people to be able to read the stories as possible." - Alan Moore

Maybe his stories are a bit too difficult for you personally Chip, but I'd say the average 12 year old wouldn't really struggle with anything outside of Voice of the Fire and Jerusalem, which don't even come into the discussion we're having here (those are difficult and J profoundly so).

5 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Oh man, if only you understood I thing I said.

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Comedy Central.

Might possibly be the funniest sad fanboy thread on the twitter right now. Click it to read the full delusion.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LaughingEvans said:

Moore has written the 2 best Superman stories ever, and comic book fans wank over morrison, who is exactly like what Chip described. 

Weird that the first name that comes up when discussing who Grant Morrison was inspired by is... Moore.

5 hours ago, LaughingEvans said:

Moore has written the 2 best Superman stories ever, and comic book fans wank over morrison, who is exactly like what Chip described. 

"For the Man Who Has Everything" and "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" are great Superman stories, but they are not the top 2 Superman stories of all time.  And Morrison's All-Star Superman is absolutely on par with them.

3 hours ago, VA32 said:

"For the Man Who Has Everything" and "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" are great Superman stories, but they are not the top 2 Superman stories of all time.  And Morrison's All-Star Superman is absolutely on par with them.

It's excellent, but not nearly as good. Moore took Superman away from him being an icon and made him a character. Morrison almost did the opposite.

Also, if we need to discuss why Morrison doesn't understand Moore's Superman, we only need to have a look at Morrison's JL.

• Like 1