Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

8 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Critics don't get paid studio bux for good reviews

However you'd be hard pressed to convince me that sometimes they don't give certain bad movies good/decent reviews based on preconceived notions.  I'm not saying its common.  In fact, theres only one in recent memory that I can think of.

Wrinkle in Time?

It's weird how all the "Critics are pressured/paid into giving good reviews" folks seem to forget about how the critic community responded to the Disney/LA Times controversy last year. They SLAMMED Disney for how they revoked the Times' press credentials, and several of them (like the New York Times and The A.V. Club) were boycotting press screenings until Disney went back on their decision. But I guess that doesn't matter now.

That's also ignoring all the films Disney have released that have gotten either mediocre to bad reviews. Even Solo got pretty "eh" reactions from critics, and you would think with all the production issues and cash that went into it, Disney would (if they actually did it) try to get critics to like it more than any of their prior SW films.

16 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Critics don't get paid studio bux for good reviews

However you'd be hard pressed to convince me that sometimes they don't give certain bad movies good/decent reviews based on preconceived notions.  I'm not saying its common.  In fact, theres only one in recent memory that I can think of.

Critics are human yea, sometimes they can change their minds like the rest of us. Sometimes they can get sept up in hype like the rest of us. Or sometimes they just have different opinions than us. 

Anyone remember Jeremy Jahns' review of Suicide Squad, and then his later retraction in Deadpool 2? Critics are totally allowed to change their minds on a film, it doesn't mean they were paid off or anything. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheManFromBeyond said:

It's weird how all the "Critics are pressured/paid into giving good reviews" folks seem to forget about how the critic community responded to the Disney/LA Times controversy last year. They SLAMMED Disney for how they revoked the Times' press credentials

The allegation he is making is not about pressure/paid (nothing is ever said or even implied by the studio), people fearing to loose access: interview with talents, invited on set, first screening/etc... if they blast the product without ever knowing for sure if it would be actually the case.

And it is not about the critic working in some big publication, but those without employer or one that rely on access for revenues.

I doubt it is the New York Film Critics circle member type he is talking about (if not outright lying), did Collider and other of the sorts menaced Disney to not ever talk anything StarWars/Marvel/Pixar on all their channels over the La Times ban ?

Still critics sheep like mentality is not their faults.

They were educated by the same faculties that made them pavlovian dogs of the same ideologies.

They are incapable of a personal thought, even if they tried.

I can't blame them for being little obediant soldiers.

Edited by The Futurist

8 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Well, Sony created a fake reviewer/critic in the 90's to pull fake quotes from him/her/it.

Nobody noticed it for years ... until they got caught.

That is a strong argument against the idea they can buy them too, if they felt the need to create one.

40 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The allegation he is making is not about pressure/paid (nothing is ever said or even implied by the studio), people fearing to loose access: interview with talents, invited on set, first screening/etc... if they blast the product without ever knowing for sure if it would be actually the case.

And it is not about the critic working in some big publication, but those without employer or one that rely on access for revenues.

I doubt it is the New York Film Critics circle member type he is talking about (if not outright lying), did Collider and other of the sorts menaced Disney to not ever talk anything StarWars/Marvel/Pixar on all their channels over the La Times ban ?

I can't find anything on Collider. But places like Slashfilm were also critical of how Disney handled the situation, so it seems like even the "blogger" community had a bit of their own backlash too. Not to the extent of never mentioning those brands, or not attending press screenings, FWIW. 

But still, I have a hard time believing Kyle Newman. If so many critics were (rightly) criticizing Disney with how they dealt with the LA Times, I don't know why they'd then fear losing access to set visits and interviews when it comes to giving TLJ or Infinity War or any other Disney film a good review or not.

That's all I got to say on this topic really. 

12 minutes ago, TheManFromBeyond said:

But places like Slashfilm were also critical of how Disney handled the situation, so it seems like even the "blogger" community had a bit of their own backlash too.

Slashfilm are really popular but do not have any access to loose right ?

I have not listening to them in a while and but they do the movie review once they are in regular theater and about never get big talents promoting stuff on the show ? Those people do feel fully free yes, same would go for a Filmspotting (sometime they have interview but I heard them destroy a movie in their review of director they just interviewed).

For example their Tuesday show reviews were venom/star is born, movies that were in theater for 5 days, does not seem like a situation were it would be possible for them to get in a cold relationship with their personal contacts in a studio that would hurt them, if they have any.

16 minutes ago, TheManFromBeyond said:

But still, I have a hard time believing Kyle Newman. If so many critics were (rightly) criticizing Disney with how they dealt with the LA Times, I don't know why they'd then fear losing access to set visits and interviews when it comes to giving TLJ or Infinity War or any other Disney film a good review or not.

I think the word critics would be pushing it here, more commentator with a platform that review movies deep in the fan/franchise stuff material that would hang out with that type and talk about star wars.

The comibookdebate.com type of critics (this is a pure random example)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/critic/sheraz-farooqi/movies

But RT take so many reviewers now that we get some members like this, that do purely fandrivens (Nolan , super heroes, Star wars) stuff.

The fact he does not make any type of precision (even some critics at some major publication, well followed, etc....) without naming them, make the statement quite empty. Could be blue ribbon tweeting opinions about movies not even registered on RT level of "critics"

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Slashfilm are really popular but do not have any access to loose right ?

I have not listening to them in a while and but they do the movie review once they are in regular theater and about never get big talents promoting stuff on the show ? Those people do feel fully free yes, same would go for a Filmspotting (sometime they have interview but I heard them destroy a movie in their review of director they just interviewed).

For example their Tuesday show reviews were venom/star is born, movies that were in theater for 5 days, does not seem like a situation were it would be possible for them to get in a cold relationship with their personal contacts in a studio that would hurt them, if they have any.

I think the word critics would be pushing it here, more commentator with a platform that review movies deep in the fan/franchise stuff material that would hang out with that type and talk about star wars.

The comibookdebate.com type of critics (this is a pure random example)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/critic/sheraz-farooqi/movies

But RT take so many reviewers now that we get some members like this, that do purely fandrivens (Nolan , super heroes, Star wars) stuff.

The fact he does not make any type of precision (even some critics at some major publication, well followed, etc....) without naming them, make the statement quite empty. Could be blue ribbon tweeting opinions about movies not even registered on RT level of "critics"

Really helped with those Justice League reviews eh?  But then maybe they don't put out a spread like Disney did for Avengers.  What's a chartered flight to London compared to being screamed at for taking a second soda?

https://www.slashfilm.com/justice-league-set-visit/

I didn’t hate Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice as much as most of my movie reviewing colleagues, but my 6 out of 10 review was far from gushing. It was negative enough to earn me thousands of hate tweets and threatening emails from DC fanboys, something that persisted for weeks. So I was surprised to get a call from Zack Snyder’s personal publicist asking if I’d be interested in visiting his Avengers-style team-up film Justice League.

I’ve been invited to dozens of movie sets over the years and usually the offer comes from the movie studio in charge, or more rarely a filmmaker friend will send out the personal invite. But this is the first time I’ve had the filmmaker’s personal publicist has reached out.

I boarded a British Airways flight to London with a bunch of other movie bloggers and journalists, most of whom did not like Batman v Superman, and this seems completely by design. We were told that Zack Snyder had read our reviews, our coverage, and picked this particular batch of bloggers because while we weren’t fans of BvS, we were fair in our assessments and thoughtfully explained our issues with that film. It seems like Zack Snyder and Warner Bros. know they have something to prove, and are willing to open the curtain to try to change the perception of their big franchise series.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAR said:

Plus from what I understand the podcast he said it, Rebel Force Radio on isn’t too highly thought of in the Star Wars community.  

@Porthos

Why would you tag me in this thread?  :kitschjob:

It's like me tagging Tele in the US Politics thread.  :gold:

Without knowing an iota of context though, you're right.  RFR used to be a Big Shot podcast in SW circles, well as much as anything could be "big shot".  Then one of the main dudes of RFR went psycho a year plus back in some sort of Podcast Drama on Twitter (Yes, that IS a thing.  Especially on Twitter) and pretty much pissed away all of his good will he had built up over the years.  Then he collected the soaked rags and set it on fire.  AND THEN HE SHOT THE ASHES INTO A SOUP KITCHEN BOWL AND LAUGHED MANIACALLY.

Then he sobbed that everyone was being a meany to him and it was ALL SO UNFAIR.

From what I understand, it got worse from there. :ph34r:

And I say "from what I understand" coz I really try to keep a fair amount of distance between myself and the toxic sludge that is Podcast Drama, so I couldn't tell you all the gory details.

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Really helped with those Justice League reviews eh?  But then maybe they don't put out a spread like Disney did for Avengers.  What's a chartered flight to London compared to being screamed at for taking a second soda?

Hum didn't seem to hurt either, 2 of the 3 gave them Twitt they can use plus that video above:

https://geektyrant.com/news/the-initial-reactions-to-justice-league-are-in-the-general-consensus-is-that-its-a-fun-movie

I think Faraci had exploded before Justice League release too.

Collider still gave it a bad D+, slashfilm at good 6/10.

What the second soda reference here and the relation with Last Jedi ?

But yeah that, the kind of nice level of access and content studio give to people that is dangerous, specially to people who work for people that really need it (a bit like the videogames industry review business that was financed almost all by video games/hardware ads revenues or the Deadline/Variety that was all financed by Weinstein type awards season ads placement) or the more serious US press that get a lot of access with the military/lot of ratings covering the wars. That a constant source of dangers and not something to ridicule.

That said, for those that make money from an audience volume and have a direct feedback, their audience is a bigger source of pressure than anything else imo.

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Hum didn't seem to hurt either, 2 of the 3 gave them Twitt they can use plus that video above:

https://geektyrant.com/news/the-initial-reactions-to-justice-league-are-in-the-general-consensus-is-that-its-a-fun-movie

I think Faraci had exploded before Justice League release too.

Collider still gave it a bad D+, slashfilm at good 6/10.

What the second soda reference here and the relation with Last Jedi ?

But yeah that, the kind of nice level of access and content studio give to people that is dangerous, specially to people who work for people that really need it (a bit like the videogames industry review business that was financed almost all by video games/hardware ads revenues or the Deadline/Variety that was all financed by Weinstein type awards season ads placement) or the more serious US press that get a lot of access with the military/lot of ratings covering the wars. That a constant source of dangers and not something to ridicule.

That said, for those that make money from an audience volume and have a direct feedback, their audience is a bigger source of pressure than anything else imo.

SlashFilm also gave BvS a 6/10 - so no difference. 

Junketing & set visits can be a very slippery slope for an entertainment reporter who also does reviews but let's be honest here the complaints about biased reviewers and fan sites are coming predominantly from anti Disney people as if the studio does anything different than WB, Universal etc.  And allegations of bias are also regularly directed at top newspaper and magazine critics who aren't junketeers.  It's bullshit.

No, the second soda anecdote is from the Avengers junket.  Ike screamed at a journo that he was bankrupting him when he spotted him going for a 2nd soda.

Edited by TalismanRing

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Junketing & set visits can be a very slippery slope for an entertainment reporter who also does reviews but let's be honest here the complaints about biased reviewers and fan sites are coming predominantly from anti Disney people as if the studio does anything different than WB, Universal etc.  And allegations of bias are also regularly directed at top newspaper and magazine critics who aren't junketeers.  It's bullshit.

Oh I would take your word on this, nothing would be surprising and fit with the little I saw about it, I never go on reddit or other kind place with that kind of talk that I imagine is popular.

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

No, the second soda anecdote is from the Avengers junket.  Ike screamed at a journo that he was bankrupting him when he spotted him going for a 2nd soda.

Fit with that era reputation.