Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

36 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I struggled to parse the second sentence. I don't understand what point you're trying to make... 

There is more to a movie total actualized to today revenues than is box office. Not just the direct after theatrical movie revenue, but specially for a franchise entry you have the power to influence how much merchandises, video games sales, sequels, spin-off, etc... will make.

It is not reviews that matters obviously, but how much people liked the movie certainly do not just the box office and box office for franchise movie is not that good of an indicator of that, because so much of the ticket are sold before anyone even saw the movie.

And you tend to see a correlation between tent poles reviews and how much people like them.

Edited by Barnack

Justice League was tracking for an OW over $110m (or $120m I don't remember exactly). It was on route to have a really good opening, probably over $150 million as it was building momentum. It all fell apart when they released the final trailer with the Joss Whedon changes. JL's bombage can't be put on BVS. Sure, BVS was very divisive and didn't make things easy for Justice League. But if BVS, Wonder Woman and now Aquaman were all able to overcome the divisive reception of the previous film then JL could have too, and if it didn't is because people in charge failed, and Snyder was not in charge of the abomination that was presented to audiences on November 2017 and for that horrible final trailer. That's on Joss Whedon and Geoff Johns. No wonder these two are gone, and Snyder is back producing Wonder Woman 2. WB knows what went down behind the scenes and who's responsible for what.

12 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Godzilla gets a lot of hate here :ph34r:

Its tame compared to the Jurassic World films lol. Man, that was so much FUN seeing Fallen Kingdom getting great DOM and WW numbers while all the haters were questioning reality :popcorn:

1. Avengers : Infinity War : Masterpiece.

The Mona Lisa

2. Aquaman : My Man ! James Cameron is in panic mode. A landmark in world building, most beautiful superhero movie ever.

3. Black Panther : I never freeze.

4. Ant-Man and The Wasp : A very confident MCU film.

5. DEADPOOL 2 : Best romantic Comedy of the Year

1 Kg of feces

6. Venom

I2 & Spidey Verse are from a different art form so I didn't rank them here.

Edited by The Futurist

19 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

1. Avengers : Infinity War : Masterpiece.

The Mona Lisa

2. Aquaman : My Man ! James Cameron is in panic mode. A landmark in world building, most beautiful superhero movie ever.

3. Black Panther : I never freeze.

4. Ant-Man and The Wasp : A very confident MCU film.

5. DEADPOOL 2 : Best romantic Comedy of the Year

1 Kg of feces

6. Venom

I2 & Spidey Verse are from a different art form so I didn't rank them here.

How does a bot watch movies much less rating and reviewing them? 

:wintf:

Edited by DMan7
  • Thanks 1

Just gonna throw out some pretty divisive opinions see what sticks.

Justice League was a hell of a lot of fun. Wish it and BvS switched grosses to match their quality. 

Godzilla is the worst movie of 2014. Had atmosphere, but nothing else underneath. And the plot was stupid as hell. 

Jurassic World 1 and 2 are both great. Had great times watching them in theatres, combined I think I saw them 8 times (5 for the first, 3 for the second).

Last Jedi sucks, but it's got nothing to do with diversity. Screw people who say shit like that. The movie took a big swing and missed, but at least it tried something new, in that it was subversive. Oh well, live and learn. 

Ghostbusters 2016 was hilarious. But Hemsworth was the best part. 

Just gonna say, the DCEU is full of pretty good stand-alone movies (except BvS) but its problem is there is no cohesive vision holding them together. 

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Godzilla is the worst movie of 2014. Had atmosphere, but nothing else underneath. And the plot was stupid as hell. 

Jurassic World 1 and 2 are both great. Had great times watching them in theatres, combined I think I saw them 8 times (5 for the first, 3 for the second)

😐

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Just gonna say, the DCEU is full of pretty good stand-alone movies (except BvS) but its problem is there is no cohesive vision holding them together.

This.

I think I like Aquaman, Wondy & MOS just as much, some of my fave pyjamas movies.

• ...wtf 1

38 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Just gonna throw out some pretty divisive opinions see what sticks.

Justice League was a hell of a lot of fun. Wish it and BvS switched grosses to match their quality. 

Jurassic World 1 and 2 are both great. Had great times watching them in theatres, combined I think I saw them 8 times (5 for the first, 3 for the second).

Last Jedi sucks, but it's got nothing to do with diversity. Screw people who say shit like that. The movie took a big swing and missed, but at least it tried something new, in that it was subversive. Oh well, live and learn. 

Ghostbusters 2016 was hilarious. But Hemsworth was the best part. 

I respect your opinion. And I totally understand. I enjoyed Fantastic Four more than any MCU movie. But I wouldn't say it's of higher quality. The movie was a trainwreck. MCU movies at least most of them, are technically well crafted. It feels wrong to say Fantastic Four was of better quality. Technically it wasn't. But it was more enjoyable. I don't know.

• Like 1

My moods about them vary, so as its throw out/around favourite/best whatever lists time, that's mine of today:

Star Wars:

I like out of Star Wars.... still the New Hope in the original theatrical version best (not saying the best quality)  and enjoyed part 5,6,and 7 but ...
I also like Solo for other reasons.

DC:

Still love 1989' Batman very much, and to a bit less degree the next one too (tile in English?), but not the ones following after that.

Also Batman Begins.

I think in TDK the 'deconstruction' of the hero/lead was too early, it should have been movie 3 or 4 to start that idea. Again, has nothing to do with the quality of the movie, but it lessened my enjoyment, still like and respect it.

TDKR drives me nuts

I actually enjoyed Man of Steel, and also WW. Am thinking I forgot at least one DC based movie

Not sure how far Constantine counts as DC, but that one I really enjoyed too, beside its flaws. Had a laughing fit at a improper moment with that one.

Marvel:

I like/love/enjoyed X-Men 1&2 (was the first ones after the bad CBMs some years earlier), IM 1, Avengers 1&3, CA 2&3, Thor 3, GotG1, DS, Ant-Man, Ant-Man & Wasp, and BP

Thor 1 has parts I love but also parts that I do not like at all, so.... I mostly enjoyed it I guess

I remember thinking Daredevil directors cut was better than the theatrical version (but I forgot what the theatrical version is like), have to re-watch to remember how to position that one

Liked one of the Blade movies (not sure which part) or parts of different ones? but to me that are not SH movies and as such do not know how to handle/list those

LotR love all three extended cuts (but usually skip a lot of the first 1/3 of part 1 whilst re-watching it), only watched Hobbit 1 complete, but have seen parts of part 2. And a few scenes of part 3

Bourne:

Bourne 1 and even more so Bourne Legacy I love, the last one after Legacy I didn't watch. The others annoyed me too much about how they ignored the 'real' books and more reasons (but they are great action movies)

All series

Do like less then formulated above up to not like at all or didn't watch the others to varying degrees. Does not mean at all they are bad or... but I didn't enjoy them as much as the listed ones or ...

Hmm  and probably a real controversial one:

didn't end really as a part of their Monster Universe I guess, but I laughed myself silly whilst watching Van Helsing.

Starting around shortly before the b/w part ended and I finally understood their idea. At least I think I did.

Another controversial one:

can not stand Titanic (incl I do really really not like romance movies, ...)

Beside really 'hating' romance movies I did enjoy watching P.S. I love you. Might have been bcs so many actors/actresses I like were cast for it?

And Harold & Maude

Not a fan of the horror genre neither, beside a movie some say belongs to the genre (I really do not know why) is my most beloved movie of all time:

The Night of the Hunter

Big fan of Kurosawa/Mifune combis

I am pretty sure I forgot a lot of titles

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

In hindsight, I realize how dumb that must sound having those right next to each other lmao. But at least JW movies were fun, Godzilla was prodding and boring 

I enjoy all 3 movies for what they are.  Hard to compare them when they all set out to do completely different things.

• Like 2

I think TLJ is naturally an easy film to hate on.  When one is watching it, it is new and takes lots of turns.  One might initially completely dig it and the feelings it encompasses, but these feelings do not stay.  Shrugging off TLJ months later is a lazy thing to do, but I foresee a lot of hardcore fans doing that.

The Phantom Menace, Titanic, and Avatar are other films that were widely loved only to be thrown into the back of the head when it comes to surface conversation.  

I think this same surface disapproval of TLJ's legacy will be easy for a lot of people just because of the basic eliminations the first made for the franchise.

It is like asking random people what they think of politics, and they shrug.  

Imagine watching cartoons with the kids and refreshing the kids on how great the movie is only to forget about it.  Or associating an experience with a bad memory, or feeling meh about The Hobbit trilogy after the last one and then forgetting the movement it brought.  

If anything, TLJ was overstuffed with plot turns and it didn't flow as smooth as the others.  But I think rejecting TLJ would be like thinking back on something that supposedly universally 'sucked' and agreeing with the universe that it sucked.