The Panda

WWW: The Good Dinosaur

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

That does not even look like a Dino,

Looks a preschoolers interpretation of one. 

No. They look like they were designed to closer resemble the poorly made plastic toys that would inevitably be made of them.

Kinda like these guys:

swcw_wallpaper_jedi_1280x1024.jpg 

14 minutes ago, Exxdee said:

I wonder how much being the second animated release of November affected the film. Last year, Penguins of Madagascar underperformed in the same slot. I wont expect anything big for Moana, probably around Tangled numbers

I'd expect Brave numbers at worst, unless it's really poor quality.

2 hours ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

MU and Brave are not considered bad movies, and they were marketed and in MU, and Cars 2's case, based off a known brand, so it's not hard to see why they opened well. 

The Good Dinosaur was better than all three of those and had similar reception to Brave and MU

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

The Good Dinosaur was better than all three of those and had similar reception to Brave and MU

Reception doesn't seem to be very good for TGD unfortunately, despite what you may think about the film. 

Honestly, I think TGD would have performed better in the summer, like Brave. 

The production troubles put The Good Dinosaur in a poor position, which is a factor that I think many of us ignored. We were originally supposed to get a Pixar film in 2014 and 2015, but the problems with this one resulted in getting Inside Out in the same year. The lead-up to a new Pixar film always feels so significant that it's tough to replicate it twice in the same year, and this one didn't have hooks anywhere near as clever or bulletproof as Inside Out and Finding Dory, respectively. Even Cars 2 felt like an animated event; this one felt like much more of an afterthought than anything else Pixar has done.

• Like 1

There's not much I can say to answer this thread's question. Pretty much everything that could go wrong did, and the fact that I love this film as much as anything Pixar's done only adds to my general frustration that everyone connected to this (both on Disney's and the audience's side) didn't appreciate it as much as it deserves.

Can only hope that it finds a better reception on the small screen, especially with another Cars sequel on the horizon

• Like 2

The hype was just never there for TGD, and there was nothing for those crazy fans online or tumblr crowd to latch onto. I'm surprised Disney didn't try to copy Tangled's misleading marketing more. Not enough humor in the trailers.

Disney and Pixar will certainly be talking about this to each other for years.

In the end, "All the parents and kids are waiting for Star Wars" might be the best explanation.

One thing I will say, if you told me one of the Pixar films this year would become one of its biggest successes ever, and the other their lowest, I honestly would have reversed IO and TGD. It's odd that an epic adventure featuring dinosaurs won't gross close to a complex dramedy about relatively abstract concepts regarding a young girl moving to a new place.

• Like 8

If my previous post wasn't clear enough.

If you remove the Pixar logo, there is now way you could have guessed this movie wasn't an Ice Age sequel or a Dreamworks movie a la Croods.

For GA, it was just more of the same and for Ice Age fans, no Scrat to be found anywhere.

The premise & character designs were just too close to what other CGI companies already offered, despite the gorgeous animation and environments.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Ice Age 1

Ice Age 2

Ice Age 3

Ice Age 4

The Croods

The Good Dinausor 6

Quite simple really.

Well that certainly wouldn't bode well DOM for the actual Ice Age 5 coming. The theme has been done a lot in CGI animation, I'll give you that. I don't think it looked like any of those movies though, it's just maybe people didn't want to see another animated movie with that kind of setting. And there has to be some dino burnout now after how huge JW was over the summer. I'd imagine especially among the female audience, who quite frankly probably never found JW all that appealing to start with and now they're completely uninterested in another dino flick. KFP2 suffered from little girls not caring about it, so that could be exactly what happened with TGD too. You could even argue that's why Cars 2 suffered at the BO too. 

• Like 1

I do wonder if TGD flopping does give Disney a reason to try and reduce the budgets for Pixar films or make changes. We've seen with other studios like DWA where they have to downsize after a flop or two or in the case of New Line, they were folded into WB but at the same time Inside Out was a huge hit and possibly Disney will just  see TGD as a rare misstep by Pixar. I'm sure Lasseter would fight tooth and nail not to see any cuts at Pixar

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

I do wonder if TGD flopping does give Disney a reason to try and reduce the budgets for Pixar films or make changes. We've seen with other studios like DWA where they have to downsize after a flop or two or in the case of New Line, they were folded into WB but at the same time Inside Out was a huge hit and possibly Disney will just  see TGD as a rare misstep by Pixar. I'm sure Lasseter would fight tooth and nail not to see any cuts at Pixar

Unless it does become a trend with Pixar, Disney isn't going to care much about a write off for TGD. They are profiting obscene amounts of money from their films overall that I'm sure any other studio only dreams about (even Uni). It's why 200m+ budgets get awarded to literally everything they make, just like they're handing out free candy. And considering TFA could literally make them $2 billion+ richer, it would take a ton of 200m+ flops for them to even start feeling it just off of TFA's grosses alone. They are truly a behemoth in the film industry at this point. It would take years and years of one horrible failure after the other for them to start feeling it. All that will happen as a result of TGD's failure is we will never see a sequel, if we ever even would have anyways. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Unless it does become a trend with Pixar, Disney isn't going to care much about a write off for TGD. They are profiting obscene amounts of money from their films overall that I'm sure any other studio only dreams about (even Uni). It's why 200m+ budgets get awarded to literally everything they make, just like they're handing out free candy. And considering TFA could literally make them $2 billion+ richer, it would take a ton of 200m+ flops for them to even start feeling it just off of TFA's grosses alone. They are truly a behemoth in the film industry at this point. It would take years and years of one horrible failure after the other for them to start feeling it. All that will happen as a result of TGD's failure is we will never see a sequel, if we ever even would have anyways. 

When the $200m+ live action films like John Carter and The Lone Ranger bombed, Disney did act accordingly. It's true that the hits from Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm do cover the losses but $200m is still a lot for an animated film which is why I think future non sequels won't get budgets like that