The Panda

WWW: The Good Dinosaur

Most movies getting these threads don't warrant one, but I believe this does.  Why?

The Good Dinosaur is looking to be Pixar's lowest grossing movie period.  Not only that, but the movie was meant to be a sure fire hit after the massive success of Jurassic  Word, a great release date, and following up Inside Out.  There was supposed to be a strong Pixarfever after Inside Out, but that didn't show with Dino's opening.

Even with great legs, it likely won't get past Cars 2 in gross.

How did one of Pixar's most expensive movies and probably one of their easier sells come to fail, domestically?  The lowest prediction was 215m in the Winter Game, and it will end up falling a good ways short of that.  In fact, it'll have a rough time outgrossing (if it even will) smaller studio animated films like Hotel Transylvania 2 and The Peanuts Movie.

What went wrong?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I am not sure but the Dino model of the main character looks really tacky and goofy.

Looks like a cheap design made by some b-grade animation studio and not pixar. 

I agree.

This didn't look like a Pixar film.

I don't think it appealed to the Pixar fanbase and they didn't show up in droves like they usually do.

• Like 1

It was definitely very muted in marketing.

Pixar knew they had a masterpiece in their hands with Inside Out, but that didn't mean they had to throw this under the bus. It very much feels like they did.

From where I am, it feels like zero cross-promotion, no directors talking about it, no nothing from the company. The whole "we have two in a year" massively failed. Just like how "our first female directed movie" that was Brave in 2012 failed, Lasseter fucked up once again. Who knows if it was that bad, but they certainly didn't give TGD a chance.

I doubt it is much worse than HT2. It certainly is a lot better than Home and Spongebob. 

It really is a massive failure. 

I think it's down to marketing; can't see any other reason which could be the cause. It's not like people are tired of family films or Pixar films.

Perhaps Disney just thought it is such an easy sell that they didn't need to spend too much on marketing? Also it doesn't help that none of the trailers or ads show what the film is about. I've had more than a few adults tell me they were hesitant to take their kids to see it because they didn't know what it's about, specifically referring to the trailers.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

WWW with The Good Dinosaur is that it just, well, wasn't good I suppose..

If that was the reason why, then why are things like Hotel Transylvania 2 hits? There are loads of poor quality animated films that do well. There are films by Pixar that most people consider to be poor, but they're still hits.

Also, no one knows what it's like opening weekend, so that wouldn't explain the low opening.

2 hours ago, The Panda said:

Didnt stop Cars 2, Brave, and MU

MU and Brave are not considered bad movies, and they were marketed better and in MU, and Cars 2's case, based off a known brand, so it's not hard to see why they opened well. 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

I'll just pull from my comment in the weekend thread: The numbers are definitely soft for a Pixar film, but then, the hype and quality of advertising never felt anywhere near Pixar's typical level.

Admittedly, it should perform better with its pedigree and limited competition for families, but it just never looked like much of an event, and it's performing accordingly.

3 hours ago, misafeco said:

The overseas gross is an even bigger WTF.

Not so great Pixar films that aren't sequels seem to fall apart overseas. If this were a dreamsworks film, it might be doing a little better overseas, but otherwise it'd still be flopping. Sad!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Not so great Pixar films that aren't sequels seem to fall apart overseas. If this were a dreamsworks film, it might be doing a little better overseas, but otherwise it'd still be flopping. Sad!

What on earth are you talking about, Brave did 300M OS

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Treelo the Good Treenosaur said:

What on earth are you talking about, Brave did 300M OS

Yes, but it stalled and did poorly in many countries, especially when compared to other Pixar films. 

I guess I'm just shocked at this film relatively "awful" overseas performance, especially for an animated film for TGD.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

The jokes didn't look funny. The animation seemed boring and plain. They made the movie look too emotional, and not in a good way, they keep showing off the scene where the dino explains to the boy what a family is, that exact scene has been done thousands of fucking times in other movies. All the "emotional" aspects about what was shown off just seemed lazy and old.

Nothing new was presented in the trailers and advertising. 

And Nothing about this thing stood out right down to the character designs. Just look at these things

Pixar-Post-The-Good-Dinosaur-Subway-Card

• Like 6