AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Titanic had a love triangle.

So did Avatar. :P

Don't think Titanic is considered "genre," but I could be wrong. In any case, that was like 18 years ago so it's not a common occurence, which was my point. As for Avatar, much like the rest of the movie, I don't remember that :P.

Edited by Orestes

1 hour ago, Darth Rallax said:

Am I the only one imagining Excel is so mad right now that he's breaking stuff, crying, screaming, pounding his chest violently.  Basically he's Kylo Ren this weekend.

A real thread at KJ right now: "Excel: Episode I - The Total Humiliation"

• Like 11

Saw this last night. It was entertaining, but it is by no means a great film. Finn and Rey were fantastic, BB-8 was hilarious, but I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the film as a whole. There was no major character arc and the story (if you can call it that) was virtually non-existent. Rather,  a homage to ANH. Tbh I didn't really get the whole point of it. It just came and went. 

1 minute ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I may have to jump over there and read it. I wonder if he'll ever show his face here again?

Not once BVS fails to meet the low, low expectation of 225M opening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

There was no major character arc ...

Hurm?

Rey went from a girl living out drab struggle for survival, waiting for a family she didn't know that would never return, to a young woman empowered to seek out the truth of who she is.

You could argue it's similar to Luke's in ANH, but it's still a solid arc.

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I may have to jump over there and read it. I wonder if he'll ever show his face here again?

Never. Unless BvS indeed beats the new OW record which is impossible. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Hurm?

Rey went from a girl living out drab struggle for survival, waiting for a family she didn't know that would never return, to a young woman empowered to seek out the truth of who she is.

Also Finn had (the beginning of) a great arc, not dissimilar to the masterful arc of Nuxx in the best movie of the decade.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Hurm?

Even Fin had an arch left the first order wanted to run away as far as possible decided to join the Resistance and ends being alot braver as the film progress. 

Well, I saw it a second time today (first time last night), and I have to say I preferred it MUCH more the second time than the first time.

I was actually somewhat underwhelmed after the first viewing.  I just found it to be way too referential to the first two movies, especially A New Hope, and thought the pacing was way too hurried and rushed.  I still thought there were many great things about it, including very solid acting, especially from the newcomers, some good laughs, and great special effects.  I think I just brought too many expectations to what I thought the film would or should be to that first viewing.

The second time I tried to just go along with the film and left behind what I thought it was going to be (or should be).  And, taking it on its merits, it really is a very, very good film.  Lots of great sequences, some great characters that I actually want to see again, especially Rey and Kylo Ren (in fact, I feel very short-changed that we didn't get more of his backstory of the Knights of Ren characters), but also Finn.  It was actually a pretty remarkable achievement in one film to hand off from the old to the new so seamlessly, and no small feat to have the audience connect so quickly with the new characters. Contrast that with the prequels, where there wasn't really a single character I gave a shit about at any point, other than maybe Qui Jon.  The pacing also seemed less frenetic and rushed the second time around (although I still think they tried to grab too many setpieces in the film).  The self-references are still way too many, and I will go to my grave not understanding WHY you need to create what effectively was a second, bigger death star sequence, when there were so many other options.

But, overall, a very solid movie -- one that can stand up there with A new hope and Empire, and, in my view, is better than Jedi.

Just came back from the movie.  I loved the movie!  The guy who sold me tickets lied, it was IMAX 3D.  It looked awesome and was worth watching it.  I'm shocked that they killed Han.  I thought he have a new story arc with new characters.  I'm shocked that it was Rey that has the force and gets the saber at the end.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DarthOpeningGross said:

The second time I tried to just go along with the film and left behind what I thought it was going to be (or should be). 

Too often people here do that.  

Usually they are disappointed if the movie is not what they thought the trailers depicted no matter how good the movies was.  I try to never let the trailers influence me on what the movie is about.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I'll also say I'm really glad I stayed (mostly) clear of any knowledge of the plot, characters, back story/history, whatever. I didn't know anything about the Knights of Ren, didn't know a damn thing about Snoke, First Order, anything.

Who the hell are the Knights of Ren? The Jedi pupils that betrayed Luke? It would be cool to explore that further in the sequels.

Well considering this was my first Star Wars movie I loved it and it's now my #2 movie of the year. I was worried going in that I would be at a big disadvantage not seeing any of the other movies but I thought they did a good job making a movie both fans and newbies can enjoy. Already bought the Complete Saga blu-ray set and plan on binge watching the rest during break. 

• Like 2