AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

After my third viewing, I like it more and more.  So many things I missed the first time that really help build the story.  I kind of feel at some point, Rey is going to ask Luke why he didn't come get her and he will be like, "I sent you a map, a ship and a lightsaber!"  Clearly, there was something or someone driving a lot of this.

Any consensus on Max Von Sydow's character? Clearly knew the family.  Anyone catch what the voice says during Rey's vision?  Is it Yoda's voice?  Obi-wan's?  I couldn't tell.  I thought I heard something about "first steps."

Rey totally had an X-wing pilot doll.

Loved the look she gave the old woman who was across from her cleaning scraps.  You could see Rey wondering if that would be her fate.  The scene with her and KR was so well done.  Great job by both actors.  I loved how her whole expression and voice shifted when she really tapped into the Force.  Just so much to take in!

Weirdly, I still think KR is not all bad, though I think he has to die for any kind of redemption.  I don't want Leia to have to lose him, too, though.  Maybe the end game is Rey and KR taking down Snoke.

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I'm pretty sure Max von Sydow's character -- Lor San Tekka, btw -- is the hand that's grasping little Rey in her flashback vision, being separated from her family. It certainly sounds like him.

Is anyone nerdy enough to tell if that's Luke's X-Wing helmet she wears?

The voice is supposedly Obi-Wan, according to James Arnold Taylor.

I was sucked in, taken to another world and then I was reminded I was watching a movie when its like OHHHH look lets strap a Telephoto lens on this helicopter and fly in a circle. Sigh* Finding Luke feels like it belongs in 8. The crawl goes down, open with a First Order scene then boom, cut to Rey and Chewy arriving to get Luke.

I honestly feel like they didn't actually want Luke in the movie, but since people "knew" he was back they had to show him. 

5 minutes ago, Jay Salahi said:

I was sucked in, taken to another world and then I was reminded I was watching a movie when its like OHHHH look lets strap a Telephoto lens on this helicopter and fly in a circle. Sigh* Finding Luke feels like it belongs in 8. The crawl goes down, open with a First Order scene then boom, cut to Rey and Chewy arriving to get Luke.

I honestly feel like they didn't actually want Luke in the movie, but since people "knew" he was back they had to show him. 

Yeah that shot was pretty rough. If you're gonna show Luke, should have went to credits after his facial expression.

Laughed my ass off at this:

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Good lord, what was it like without the clean up? :lol: 

Tumblr. 

38 minutes ago, Jay Salahi said:

The ending still rubs me the wrong way a bit, its just not quite a Star Wars send off.

It felt very Michael Bay. 

• Like 1

4:30am - some thoughts:

Yes, predictable and not exactly original - but basically it's Star Wars' ST09 but better and this time in the existing story - introducing the universe to today's generation and passing the torch as it were. So damn enjoyable to watch.

Standouts: Ridley, Driver, BB8 (!!!!!!). Too little Isaac and Christie. Honorable mention to Gleeson's and Serkis', especially the former's, epic scenery chewing.

Crowd reactions: apart from small claps at BBFC card before the film started....nothing. some gasps at Rey using Force for the first time.

IMAX Laser 3D was incredible - best 3D I've seen. I completely understand why JJ prefers this to IMAX 70mm 2D. Combo of laser fixing usual brightness/colour/ghosting issues, great 3D in the film itself and bigger screen (generally 3D is much less distracting and more immersive in IMAX). The one native IMAX scene was awesome and tbh I'm not too fussed over aspect ratio at this theatre not being the full 1.44:1as you still get the same effect due to the sheer size of the thing.

Trailers: ST Beyond and Creed and In the Heart of the Sea in regular 2D, Deadpool green band in IMAX 2D. Shame STB was only new trailer but, and I know this is nitpicky, incredibly disappointed over lack of BvS as 1. I know for a fact WB sent it to theatres and 2. native IMAX footage in expanded aspect ratio. The only other trailer in recent memory that had that was that Interstellar IMAX trailer. Would've been amazing to see it. Gonna try sorting something out in the morning.....

Some other spoilery things:
basically - Luke = Sequel Trilogy's Yoda, Snoke is obviously ST's Emperor and....not expecting the original cast or droids to show up again in Eps 8 and 9 apart from Hamill and maaaaaaybe Fisher?

Anyway 9/10, bravo JJ. More thoughts tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Man, you guys* are weird.

*Anyone who didn't like the last few minutes.

I'm just saying the helicopter swooping shot as the final shot was weird. The final few minutes were fine.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is my shit though.

• Like 1