The Panda

What Went RIGHT: The Force Awakens

Nothing went right, its just performing like the orig trilogy films, like Star Wars films used to.

The prequels were bad and i think people prefer sequels than prequels overall.

Its just unfortunate that the prequels scewed peoples perceptions about just how big and popular Star Wars is.

Just now, stuart360 said:

Nothing went right, its just performing like the orig trilogy films, like Star Wars films used to.

The prequels were bad and i think people prefer sequels than prequels overall.

Its just unfortunate that the prequels scewed peoples perceptions about just how big and popular Star Wars is.

I get what you're saying, but things definitely went right.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I get what you're saying, but things definitely went right.

The Star Wars film people had wanted since the orig trilogy has finally arrived. The familiar with the new, the continuation of that great story.

Combined with good reviews, good wom, a time of the year when everyone is feeling festive and in a good mood, no Lucas etc.

• Like 1

I remember walking out of ST09 with my brother, and we both really liked it, and he said something like, "It felt more Star Wars than Star Trek though."  So, one of my "WWR's" is that they got the right director for what had to be a ridiculously demanding job, bringing this saga back and introducing a whole new generation, and he and his team found the right cast and got a story together that has me interested and invested in what will happen to these people.  

Kudos also have to go to Disney's marketing team.  Damn.  Just...well played, Disney.  I think a lot of their "marketing" was actually from other companies paying THEM for the licensing rights, which is just amazing.  Keeping a lid on spoilers got things to a fever-pitch without all the fanboys going negative without even seeing the film.  

• Like 1

I was a doubter who predicted $127million opening weekend. Well, now it all makes sense. 

Nostalgia - What more can I say?

Main plot kept secret - There were lots of mysteries surrounding the movie's plots and characters. This sure helped build anticipation. 

Millennials introduced to Star Wars universe - This is a big one. Updating the franchise to suit millennials' interests and tastes made huge contributions. The movie seemed familiar but felt very new and contemporary in the trailers. Furthermore, Disney perfectly calculated to have a female and black as lead characters. 

Franchise kept up - Another huge factor. The franchise was not left in the vacuum after prequels. Over the years, Star Wars-themed games, books/comics, animated series, etc. were released. This not only kept the fans involved in the franchise, but also introduced Star Wars to new generation. 

Months of news coverages - These days, we don't have to find the news. News comes to us in the form of Twitter feeds and FB posts. At least once a month in 2015, there have been feeds/posts about Star Wars news. This probably helped the millennials get interested in the franchise. 

That being said, I am still surprised by the movie's record opening. Only several people around me (FB friends, real friends, uni friends, friends' friends, Twitter followers, etc.) were interested in the movie. Not "excited", but only interested. Furthermore, these people didn't even see prequels in the theater (most were in high school when Episode 2 and Episode 3 came out) Even my friends' parents were somewhat skeptical about new Star Wars movie. At this moment, I am still rounding up who saw the movie during the weekend, but it turns out quite a number of people actually went to see it. Heck, even people who NEVER saw any other Star Wars movies went to see Force Awakens. 

Congrats to Star Wars! Well deserving champion of the galaxy

• Like 2

Star Wars never really went away in other media, you had The Clone Wars TV series plus the film which considering WB did barely any marketing and it was the first five episodes edited into a feature and cost only $8.5m was still hugely profitable. 

I think the return of Han, Leia, Chewie etc also helped a lot, the prequel trilogy was still successful but people were curious to see the old characters again

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

we all know what went right, what is the point of this thread?

Mods please for the love of god lock this thread. It's so silly to need to discuss this away from the main threads we have already. Painfully obvious WWR.

Edited by GiantCALBears