Dementeleus

Wednesday Star Wars TFA ACTUALS - 38,022,183

First of all, i'm a huge star wars since the 80ies and the tfa is among my most favorite movies of all time. But seriously, i dont get all this sw boxoffice hype. Even someone who is not so much into BO knew that this would be a monster. I'm absolutely not spurprised but this boxoffice run. We have a nearly 40 year built up hype, one of the most beloved franchise in  movie history and one of the most passionated fanbase. SW is also one of the most known trademarks worldwide. 

On the other hand, i dont get it why people try to downplay avatars BO run. Beside titanic is this one of the most amazing, unprediticed runs ever. Except some crazy loonies ( and even they were mostly wrong) no one predicted this run. 

I'm happy that tfa will be dom champ, but i'm also happy that avatar will keep the ww and alltime crown.

Its good to be a sw and avatar fan. :D

Edited by dignam
  • Like 4

Avatar was certainly an impressive box office run, I wouldn't want to take anything away from it, but let's be honest here it wasn't Titanic. Even The Phantom Menace sold more tickets -- by far, actually -- than Avatar in the United States. Most estimates have that at 85 million to 75 million in favor of TPM. I personally have it at 90 million for TPM. You can't divide TPM's gross by the average ticket price in 1999 in the same way you can't do that to Avatar for 2009. For TPM, a HUGE number of those tickets were children's tickets because it was a PG family film, after all. The average TPM ticket was unquestionably below the average ticket sold in 1999, which is why I say it sold 90 million tickets. Avatar, by contrast, sold something like 72% of its tickets in 3D according to sources I have found. Most sources agree Avatar sold about 75 million tickets. So while it was incredible the WAY it performed, the holds, the constant #1 weekends, etc., and it remains a box office titan, I can't say I'm blown away by the actual ticket sales figure. It's very, very good. It's not historically incredible in the way Titanic is, though. 

That being said, I was very happy when Avatar beat Titanic. I rooted for it (and saw Avatar 3 times in theaters). Now worldwide is a different story entirely. Worldwide, Avatar is the most incredibly ridiculous and impressive thing I've ever seen. I am in awe and not really sure what to make of its gross in some countries. Like, I don't even understand how a movie can blow away the previous #1 by 100% or 200%, which Avatar did. Not living in those countries, I am clueless as to how that happens. That would be like if TFA made $1.8 billion in just North America. It wouldn't make sense. It would defy all logic. I suppose in less developed countries for the box office, though, that becomes more possible than a mature market like the U.S. or U.K. or whatnot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer Fett said:

@vc2002 because when u love something and it does well you feel that much more gratified. When u dont love it u just appreciate it.....big difference.

I disagree to a degree.

As long as I do not really 'hate' the existance of a movie (I hate movies that promote 'rightous' violence, injustice, hate against minorities,...) as long I am really loving the following of the details of all movies.

I will look more closley into movies I love, but I am interested and celebrate movie's success even of movies I persomally think as not good or are of a genre I do not like at all.

But even about the few movies I really hate I wouldn't speak up against their BOs, I simply wouldn't visit their threads. I even post BO details / tweets of those, as they are still part of the BO dailies. I even give likes to posts for those tweets / details, as to me it is about to find and deliver the waited for BO dailies detail.

1 hour ago, Ajipon said:

Because we're human with emotional investment after all? You have to be suspicious of anyone who claims to be unbiased and completely objective. The best opinion makers are the ones who are honest to oneself and others about personal biases.

There are also other options than only black and white, like grey.. or? ;) See above, I wouldn't count me in into an 'unbiased' group, but the BO details of movies in general (incl e.g. insight into behind the scene accounting...) are to me more interesting than even the BO only details (and records) of a movie I really love.

1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

Well I do have different opinions. I think we should at least try to be objective, especially when we're talking about numbers. I mean even if you dont like Michael Jordan as a person, you can still enjoy his performance on the b-ball court right?

Like if a SW7 naysayer says he doesnt like the movie so in his opinion this 1BN grosser's boxoffice run isn't that interesting, wouldn't that be ridiculous? SW7's BO run is jaw-dropping whether you like the movie or not, just like Avatar's BO run is jaw-dropping whether you like the movie or not.

Totally agree

58 minutes ago, peludo said:

We could start to talk too about beating Avatar WW with today exchange rates, which is about 2.3 billion.

I think than we should also take into account the inflation adjustments. But as you do so good work with explaining and showing exchange rate differences... in your thread I am pretty sure you are away about those also. More meant for the lurkers as hint for what e.g. not to forget (and many other influencing details, depending on the century a movie got released)

• Like 1

So if Sw7 becomes the best ticket seller since titanic will people stop saying it's only for nerds geeks virgins and basement dwellers.

Because it seems other films baaed on thier bo runs are more geeky and nerdy it seems.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I think than we should also take into account the inflation adjustments. But as you do so good work with explaining and showing exchange rate differences... in your thread I am pretty sure you are away about those also. More meant for the lurkers as hint for what e.g. not to forget (and many other influencing details, depending on the century a movie got released)

In terms of inflation we could even see a lower amount, since 3D boost for Avatar was enormous and certain countries have even lower average ticket prices than in 2009.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dignam said:

First of all, i'm a huge star wars since the 80ies and the tfa is among my most favorite movies of all time. But seriously, i dont get all this sw boxoffice hype. Even someone who is not so much into BO knew that this would be a monster. I'm absolutely not spurprised but this boxoffice run. We have a nearly 40 year built up hype, one of the most beloved franchise in  movie history and one of the most passionated fanbase. SW is also one of the most known trademarks worldwide. 

On the other hand, i dont get it why people try to downplay avatars BO run. Beside titanic is this one of the most amazing, unprediticed runs ever. Except some crazy loonies ( and even they were mostly wrong) no one predicted this run. 

I'm happy that tfa will be dom champ, but i'm also happy that avatar will keep the ww and alltime crown.

Its good to be a sw and avatar fan. :D

Me since the first movie - and no, wasn't a kid anymore (for the lurkers or newer members)

I think it is partly bcs 2015 was such a year of expectations for 'sure winner movies' not fullfilled.

So many movies made far less than a lot of people expected, but a very few made way more than expected too = the inner feeling in relation to results was off for a lot of people usually in the know rather good.

Plus it's the month's typical details difference that is so surprising I think

Plus a tendency of people less often even going to the cinema over the decades, which movie can break that tendency for a time, which wont....

The rest I agree to, I too do not understand the need to quip at any possibility at Avatar or it's numbers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Is this gonna be at 400M by friday?

Nope, the incredible craptastic box office of X-Mas eve will make sure of that. It should be at, what, $385M or so? By the END of Friday, though, then yes it'll easily be over that.

Edited by JonathanLB

8 hours ago, grey ghost said:

We should've seen this coming when nostalgia pushed JW to astronomical numbers.

TFA has nostalgia pushed to levels never seen before.

Yep. I think studios have taken note and are shaking the dust off of ET, Jaws and Raiders of the Lost Ark remake/sequel ideas.

All this exchange rate and adgusted crap is pretty low guys. Do you honestly think Titanic would of made over a billion domestic if it released today?, Gone With The Wind 3 billion domestic , Doctor 'fucking' Zhivago etc?.

This forum is usually pretty level headed when it comes to this kind of stuff but the forum has been crap the last few days. once the big fanboy film comes out, people have lost all sense of perspective and will now try anything to get that the film to the top, so to speak.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, peludo said:

In terms of inflation we could even see a lower amount, since 3D boost for Avatar was enormous and certain countries have even lower average ticket prices than in 2009.

I agree, was meant for: if adding that detail to the calculation, than this and that should too be put in as factors. A general thing, not meant for Avatar alone.

9 hours ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Excel's preparing himself for his mighty return in February when he keeps pumping BVS's opening weekend.

When he returns he's going to start a Suicide Squad 220M OW thread.:rofl:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Baumer Fett said:

If it does increase Avatar like this weekend, and I don't think it will, but if it does, you are looking at a total of about 850 mill by January 3rd......it's...I just.....I can't wrap my head around this at all.

What are the chances of $1bn domestic, seriously?  50/50? 35%....more than 50/50?

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

All this exchange rate and adgusted crap is pretty low guys. Do you honestly think Titanic would of made over a billion domestic if it released today?, Gone With The Wind 3 billion domestic , Doctor 'fucking' Zhivago etc?.

This forum is usually pretty level headed when it comes to this kind of stuff but the forum has been crap the last few days. once the big fanboy film comes out, people have lost all sense of perspective and will now try anything to get that the film to the top, so to speak.

They did incredibly well for their time. That is the point of adjusting for inflation. Titanic's worldwide run in 1997-1998 was equal to a $4 billion movie today. Truly insane. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Without people having working TV's, Internet, digital based games, alcohol allowed for parying,.... = thousands of other possibilities to get entertained to a reasonable price

= yes, absolutedly, especially as the US nowadays has wayyyyy more inhabitants than during te year of e.g. Gone with the Wind's release.

Hence the reason I think each decade has it's own set of details we should put too into account

• Like 1