Plain Old Tele

Wednesday Star Wars TFA ACTUALS - 38,022,183

I am just getting to work so I will leave you guys with this. The opening night when I saw Star Wars the force awakens, I was in awe. When I drove home my emotions were so intense that I started crying on the way home. l realize in my older age I cry at a lot of things now lol but seeing this Star Wars it just all came flooding in in one big tsunami of emotions. I loved the prequels absolutely loved them. But for the first time in my life I could see what people were saying. The prequels don't have the feel of the force awakens. The force awakens is as close to Empire Strikes Back in tone, in my opinion. This run is special and it's for a special movie in my opinion

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, Clef Ment said:

I am a bit worried about China.

It won't bomb by any means, but it might not to extraordinary numbers.

Star War is the USA's epic (like I saw someone else note). The fact other countries love it too is just gravy.

I would love it to be number 1 WW, but just dont see it happening. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

$800 million seems comfortably in the bag, barring an epic collapse that would defy all that we know about box office. 

If it does a billion, i cannot even comprehend it. 

it would be like Star Wars was to Jaws I would reckon. ;)

25 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

@vc2002 because when u love something and it does well you feel that much more gratified. When u dont love it u just appreciate it.....big difference.

23 minutes ago, Ajipon said:

Because we're human with emotional investment after all? You have to be suspicious of anyone who claims to be unbiased and completely objective. The best opinion makers are the ones who are honest to oneself and others about personal biases.

Well I do have different opinions. I think we should at least try to be objective, especially when we're talking about numbers. I mean even if you dont like Michael Jordan as a person, you can still enjoy his performance on the b-ball court right?

Like if a SW7 naysayer says he doesnt like the movie so in his opinion this 1BN grosser's boxoffice run isn't that interesting, wouldn't that be ridiculous? SW7's BO run is jaw-dropping whether you like the movie or not, just like Avatar's BO run is jaw-dropping whether you like the movie or not.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

You all...my mom actually actually wants to see The Force Awakens... She actually wants to leave the house to see a movie... She wants to sit in a theater for more than 2 hours to see a Space Epic... She wants to see all the films before though...

$1.25B domestic confirmed.

Edited by Rey
  • Like 11

This is an amazing Wednesday hold now the sky is the limit. I do expect it to fall off at some point. I mean everything above 1B is totaly insane. I guess 2.5B Dom is the celling cause then every american/canadian would have seen the movie :D (Even the litle babys)

1 minute ago, pepsa said:

This is an amazing Wednesday hold now the sky is the limit. I do expect it to fall off at some point. I mean everything above 1B is totaly insane. I guess 2.5B Dom is the celling cause then every american/canadian would have seen the movie :D (Even the litle babys)

ya. The Euro being 30% weaker now than in 2009 will probably prevent TFA from taking out Avatar WW.

• Like 1

We should stop with this beating Avatar WW stuff. 

Realize this with me. No film except for Avatar has beaten Titanic's initial run WW gross (1.8 bil). JW is closest with 1.67 bil. 

Goal 1. Beat Titanic original run WW. 1.8 Bil.

Goal 2. Beat Titanic including 3D rerelease. 2.186 Bil. 

After those 2 things happen then we should start talking about Avatar WW. 

Edited by tokila
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tokila said:

ya. The Euro being 30% weaker now than in 2009 will probably prevent TFA from taking out Avatar WW.

Was only talking about DOM :D

And yeah the OS title will always be for avatar. And avatar has 95% chance to keep it's WW record. Cause SW needs 1.2 DOM to have a decent shot and even then it will be so hard.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rey said:

You all...my mom actually actually wants to see The Force Awakens... She actually wants to leave the house to see a movie... She wants to sit in a theater for more than 2 hours to see a Space Epic... She wants to see all the films before though...

$1.25B domestic confirmed.

to make your life easier try to convince her she only needs to see the OT (which is true minus about 2 references in the movie)

3 minutes ago, tokila said:

Realize this with me. No film except for Avatar has beaten Titanic's initial run WW gross (1.8 bil). JW is closest with 1.67 bil. 

Goal 1 is not a goal. Worldwide SW7 just needs to make 200m more than JW to get it,  and yet SW7 DOM alone will be 200m bigger than JW DOM.

Just now, vc2002 said:

Goal 1 is not a goal. Worldwide SW7 just needs to make 200m more than JW to get it,  and yet SW7 DOM alone will be 200m bigger than JW DOM.

ya, I get you. But it still should be a big deal. 

No non-Cameron film has ever grossed 1.67 bil WW. I just dont want TFA getting around 2.3 bil to be diminished. 

I agree with Baumer. I have been following box office since LOTR. I wanted those films to do great because I love them. It is undoubtable that certain films have done history in box office: runs like Titanic, Spider-man, TDK, Avatar, Avengers or Jurassic World have made box office really exciting. But if one film is able to make history in box office and you love that film is even more exciting. Maybe we should separate both concepts, but I can not. I think it is unavoidable, specially in a so subjective matter like films.

I appreciate what Titanic or Avatar did. Both were incredible runs. Titanic remains to be the most amazing run ever. I will never deny that. But since I do not love none of those films, I was not so excited as I am now. I prefer that a film I love can make history in box office instead a film I do not care too much. And Star Wars is making that.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, tokila said:

We could start to talk too about beating Avatar WW with today exchange rates, which is about 2.3 billion.

19 minutes ago, pepsa said:

How much did it collect on wednesday? $35-$37m ?