Plain Old Tele

Wednesday Star Wars TFA ACTUALS - 38,022,183

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Except it *did* beat JW's worldwide opening. And it didn't even need China to do it. 

Do you even check the numbers?

Tele, you know Kal will never accept defeat.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

I'm new to this forum as well but I feel kind of weird because I have lurked over here for quite some time. Not ridiculously long, but at least a few weeks to see what you guys had to say. It's true, the real box office experts are here, not in the media. Most of the media people truly have no clue. I have been a box office follower since Star Wars: Special Edition and Titanic in 1997, and been interested ever since. I'm a Star Wars fan boy, so don't hold that against me, but I've written two books on Star Wars (non-fiction, with box office chapters for domestic and international in each): Anticipation: The Real Life Story of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace and Revenge: The Real Life Story of Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. Both focus on the cultural impact of the films from toy sales to fan culture to merchandising to box office, special effects, and beyond. Although I AM a prequel fan (we can agree not to discuss that LOL, don't hate me!), the books don't focus whatsoever on the films from a critical standpoint. They truly are just books about the events of the movies, i.e. what impact they made.

Beyond that, I'm no Rth, but I am a member of the Director's Guild of America, where I joined on my feature film Amy Alyson Fans (on iTunes, Amazon, etc.) that I wrote and directed. As such, I get sent screeners for all of the awards films every year at the end, so sometimes I am able to see these films before they get released wide like The Hateful Eight, The Revenant, last year American Sniper, etc. 

I feel like I know a lot of you guys already and I have never posted here. I love reading your posts. I know it sounds crazy but I've probably averaged 1-2 hours per day on this forum for weeks. If not even 3 hours some days, waiting for Rth's updates, laughing at Kal, you know, the usual. I'm looking forward to joining the community and hanging around too! This TFA run is something special so far and I just am... blown away. When TPM came out, I was only 16, so I was a total fanboy with almost zero box office knowledge. I had no idea how historic Titanic was, so I kept rooting for TPM to win, even though that simply wasn't realistic. Titanic was a monster. I remember always hoping for better numbers than came in, even though TPM honestly had a great box office run with very strong legs! Now, though, I keep being wrong in the best possible way. 

I predicted OD total of $125M, which I know is very high, and it came in just a few million below my prediction. I figured on $60M previews, $65M regular day, so I was very close and that was my *optimistic* prediction. As in, the ceiling. I thought anything around $100M would be amazing. My OW prediction realistically was no more than $225M. I was blown away when it hit $248M. Mid-week, I was hoping for $100M total, figuring on $28.5M per day until X-Mas eve with the remaining $16M or so. These mid-week numbers boggle my mind. I didn't expect this in my wildest dreams. It's ridiculous. 

Thanks for the great posts you guys provide and for the information best found on this forum. 

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 33

Just now, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol popcorn films that carbon copy greatness will never match the feats of titanic or avatar.  Lol.  With all the hype, sws failed to beat jps is opening.  Epic fail.  Best look at the whole picture.  Lol. Avatar and irtitanic hold ww.  Avatar 2 takes the domestic and ww maxes even further in 2017. Can carry 2 beat force awakens by 1.5 to 2b plus overall is going to be the question.  Love it

HomeTree.jpg

• Like 17

6 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol popcorn films that carbon copy greatness will never match the feats of titanic or avatar.  Lol.  With all the hype, sws failed to beat jps os opening.  Epic fail. Needed that domestic and more territories and running at more times to even squeeze by jps ww opening  record .Best look at the whole picture.  Lol. Avatar and titanic hold ww.

hard to argue with that. It did in fact need domestic to get past that ww opening record. Flop confirmed.

12 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol you internet guys never learned from day pm lol.  There is nothing to watch and once the first 2weeks dust settles,  we will see how this weaker copy of age fairs.  Lol your still losing the important race were to titanic  and avatar and losing to jpworld ww is also a possibility.  All always knows.  640 to 730m. 1. 6 to 1.8b ww.  Bite on that Jedis

LOL. A kal breakdown is the greatest christmas present. Avatar is toast. This movie is going to end closer to $1 billion. Now, I personally think the movie is a 3/5 (same with Avatar) but its clearly a big hit with audiences.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blackspider said:

TFA has a legit shot at doubling the previous December OW record (84.6m) in its 2nd weekend. Wow.

If you said this 2 weeks ago, all of us we laughed a lot, but now...it seems very possible, amazing...

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol popcorn films that carbon copy greatness will never match the feats of titanic or avatar.  Lol. 

I thought I was watching Avatar a few months ago, but it turned out to just be Atlantis the Lost Empire.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I'm new to this forum as well but I feel kind of weird because I have lurked over here for quite some time. Not ridiculously long, but at least a few weeks to see what you guys had to say. It's true, the real box office experts are here, not in the media. Most of the media people truly have no clue. I have been a box office follower since Star Wars: Special Edition and Titanic in 1997, and been interested ever since. I'm a Star Wars fan boy, so don't hold that against me, but I've written two books on Star Wars (non-fiction, with box office chapters for domestic and international in each): Anticipation: The Real Life Story of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace and Revenge: The Real Life Story of Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. Both focus on the cultural impact of the films from toy sales to fan culture to merchandising to box office, special effects, and beyond. Although I AM a prequel fan (we can agree not to discuss that LOL, don't hate me!), the books don't focus whatsoever on the films from a critical standpoint. They truly are just books about the events of the movies, i.e. what impact they made.

Beyond that, I'm no Rth, but I am a member of the Director's Guild of America, where I joined on my feature film Amy Alyson Fans (on iTunes, Amazon, etc.) that I wrote and directed. As such, I get sent screeners for all of the awards films every year at the end, so sometimes I am able to see these films before they get released wide like The Hateful Eight, The Revenant, last year American Sniper, etc. 

I feel like I know a lot of you guys already and I have never posted here. I love reading your posts. I know it sounds crazy but I've probably averaged 1-2 hours per day on this forum for weeks. If not even 3 hours some days, waiting for Rth's updates, laughing at Kal, you know, the usual. I'm looking forward to joining the community and hanging around too! This TFA run is something special so far and I just am... blown away. When TPM came out, I was only 16, so I was a total fanboy with almost zero box office knowledge. I had no idea how historic Titanic was, so I kept rooting for TPM to win, even though that simply wasn't realistic. Titanic was a monster. I remember always hoping for better numbers than came in, even though TPM honestly had a great box office run with very strong legs! Now, though, I keep being wrong in the best possible way. 

I predicted OD total of $125M, which I know is very high, and it came in just a few million below my prediction. I figured on $60M previews, $65M regular day, so I was very close and that was my *optimistic* prediction. As in, the ceiling. I thought anything around $100M would be amazing. My OW prediction realistically was no more than $225M. I was blown away when it hit $248M. Mid-week, I was hoping for $100M total, figuring on $28.5M per day until X-Mas eve with the remaining $16M or so. These mid-week numbers boggle my mind. I didn't expect this in my wildest dreams. It's ridiculous. 

Thanks for the great posts you guys provide and for the information best found on this forum. 

Welcome and hopefully you stick around after SW7's run is over.

• Like 3

Hi Kal. Genuine question for you. What do you think TFA is going to take this weekend and the following weekend in order to fall within your final range? We would be looking at some pretty steep declines, no? What makes you think the film will start free falling like this when all evidence and indications up to this point would suggest otherwise?

Genuinely interested to know your thoughts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol you internet guys never learned from day pm lol.  There is nothing to watch and once the first 2weeks dust settles,  we will see how this weaker copy of age fairs.  Lol your still losing the important race were to titanic  and avatar and losing to jpworld ww is also a possibility.  All always knows.  640 to 730m. 1. 6 to 1.8b ww.  Bite on that Jedis

lol, now you raise the number you had before. This sounds like denial!

So you think after two weeks this movie is just going to fall off the earth? With no competition? With amazing WOM? With people already stating they are planning to attend it multiple times? Remember TPM got crazy ticket sales and that one didn't getting near this response. So all your predictions haven't happened so far...

And let me get this right..you think people will attend it in mass for two weeks and then that's it. Ah screw Star Wars, let's go see those awesome January releases. lol 

Man I hope it beats Avatar just to see your reaction. 

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Dude you think they are going to have original cast edge after this movies lol.  They will run from James Cameron's avatar 2 bigtime.  The sense memory experience of avatar sequels ain't no popcorn film like sw7. Let's see any day film go head to head with Cameron fans lol

Oh wow and you think Avatar has a stronger fan base then freaking Star Wars. I actually think that if Avatar 2 went head to head with Star Wars, and doesn't feature amazing new technology that Episode 8 would get way more media exposure and attention. It would end up deflating it, making it a way smaller event then it was before.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1