druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Considerably more. About 8-9m more than Avatar and 13-14m more than TDK. Force Awakens is gonna blow away TPM by 20m tickets. 

In Hungary. TPM is the admissions champion of the modern era. Beat Avatar with the 3D re-release. TFA will reach the 3rd place, i'm not sure about the 2nd.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elessar said:

That Disney low-balls their estimates is news to me. They overestimated TFA OD. Again, Sundays are a different story.

That was atypical and was based on wrong conclusions by others also

The problem is/was:

in the industry they add presales to the matinee numbers

= that gave the numbers before 16:00 Uhr a faulty ~ $20m push.

Since SW 7 showed that kind of calculation model as out of time / out of fashion (unzeitgemäß) up, they (industry, not Disney) now have to develop a new calculation model and a system that defines the datas per time and not per more or less ~ 1/2 days, as pre-sale percentages are growing anyway

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lilmac said:

You're saying Avatar's adjusted gross is higher than TPM's despite the fact the latter didn't have 3D?

Hmm.  I'm only trying to account for attendance, not adjusted gross.  TPM sold 85M tickets in 1999, Avatar sold 75-76M tickets in 2009/2010.  Avatar's adjusted gross is obviously higher than TPM's but that's meaningless because it had 3D/IMAX inflation ON TOP of regular yearly inflation.  To only account for one of them tells me only half the story.

I'm not making any statement as to how much TPM would gross with 3D, because we don't know what the 3D split would be (we can only look at similar blockbusters for possibilities).  Nor am I making any statement on how much Avatar would gross without 3D (is the appeal of the spectacle as significant without 3D).  But we CAN estimate actual attendance regardless of the presence of 3D.

4 minutes ago, lilmac said:

@spizzer  - I meant LOWER. I can't edit my post. LOWER than TPM's...

lol yeah this is annoying.  Hope that gets sorted out.

4 minutes ago, JohnnY said:

imax (and now this plf) completely messes my perception of ticket sales... is it so hard for theaters to report the number of tickets?

The movie studios won't allow theaters to report the ticket sales. Movie studios love inflation and other gimmicks (PLF, IMAX, 3D) because the higher ticket prices hide the fact attendance is way down from the glory days of the movie studios. 

Force Awakens is gonna be our first 100m ticket seller since Titanic. That's incredible for any movie but especially for a sequel. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, solaris said:

it will be interesting when we see actuals tomorrow. It seems like Disney has been lowballing everything, the 153.5 estimate give them the number 1 and number 10 weekend alltime. I think it goes up with actuals, the question is by how much? Either way 153.5 million is simply amazing. 

8 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

If it hits 1.1B DOM, safe to say, the ship sank.

No, again, we're looking at an average price for TFA right around $10.00.  Titanic sold 128M tickets, so we need closer to $1.3B to match Titanic's admissions.  Maybe as low as $1.25B if the 3D share dips low enough.

• Like 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

The point swu is the first film in a while that is challenging old all time films in tickets sold...

Yup.

Does anyone know ANH's original run gross?  I saw someone mention ~$230M, and that'd around 100-105M tickets.  Even that might be doable.

But the question then becomes: what is the cutoff for the original run?  Because I've heard that there was overlap between that and its first few releases.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rey said:

Is it only me???

No, several others have problems too

try different backgrounds (see e.g. theme at the bottom) especially the snowy version seems problematic, try different browsers, incl IE (I do not have IE activated... and won't activate it ever).

There is a bug, Water Bottle will try to fix that tomorrow.

pics... do not use insert media, put the link in and wait a bit, it seems to need time for some

THE BIG SHORT: $1.4M Overseas Total / $17.4M Global Total

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

That doesn't matter, average ticket price is what really matters (as it's affected by the IMAX screens).

The average price reported by theater owners includes a ton of movies with zero IMAX, PLF, or even 3D. Therefore it is safe to say the big blockbusters with IMAX, 3D, and PLF have a much higher average price than a comedy for instance. 

Every time I see a update for the film's box office the domestic and overseas totals are neck and neck in a almost 50/50 split. If the film does finish at a billion domestic and a billion overseas, won't this be unusual for a modern blockbuster?

• Like 1

Just now, spizzer said:

TDK did 74M admissions.   Star Wars OW average price was $10.40.  That's 770M.

BOM adjusts TDK to 74.4M admissions, but it doesn't accout for IMAX, which might lower TDK to around 73M admissions maybe?

$10.40 seems high.  What were your ticket prices for the various formats again?  I seem to recall that you had data from Wall Street Journals up to a certain point, then assumed an annual 3% increase - which seems to have a problem since that outpaces the increase for the average annual ticket prices across all formats, which is the most accurate data we have.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

That doesn't matter, average ticket price is what really matters (as it's affected by the IMAX screens).

So i guess we should just take the average ticket price of 2009 to get Avatar admissions...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Every time I see a update for the film's box office the domestic and overseas totals are neck and neck in a almost 50/50 split. If the film does finish at a billion domestic and a billion overseas, won't this be unusual for a modern blockbuster?

It should eventually dip to a more OS heavy / DOM lite mix once it's released in China. Even then it's probably going to be something like a 55 OS / 45 DOM mix - still very rare for a mega grosser.