druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

6 minutes ago, Dark 33Legend of the Sith said:

I agree. TFA gets better on multiple viewings.  That first time you are watching something you are anticipating greatly it's hard to absorb everything.  2nd and 3rd time seeing it was amazing.

Agreed whole heartedly...finally saw it for the first time earlier today and after all this build up, I loved it bit its hard to absorb everything since half of you is just amazed seeing this on the big screen again...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Just finished Empire and I can't decide whether it or A New Hope was better. Definitely another 10/10. Since I'm doing machete order I guess Phantom Menace is next. I know they say to skip it but I want to at least give it a shot.  Very curious to see if it's as bad as they say it is. 

While it is a bad film imo, it's still fascinating to watch in the context of it being the first Star Wars film in over 15 years and arguably the most anticipated film of all time. Watching TFA made me want to re-watch TPM which I just did. Now I have to watch finish the trilogy, what was I thinking...

• Like 2

Titanic was a fascinating film to follow. It was just an unrelenting drip drip drip of money piling up. The second weekend was the first wow! moment, but really it's milestones (passing Jurassic, passing Star Wars) were ones spotted a month in advance. It was all people talked about movie-wise for months. Avatar's 3D and Ledger's Joker were probably the closest I had seen to Titanic-mania, but were smaller. 

This is just a different animal. It is probably more talked about than any film I've ever seen. Titanic was talked about for a long time, but it didn't dominate conversations. People will begin conversations asking if you've seen it so they can decide how much they can talk to you about it. When someone hasn't seen it, you can see faces cringe as they realize they will have to be circumspect. Likewise people have been compelled to begins conversations by saying they aren't Star Wars fans and have seen none of the others and won't be seeing this. It's become basically an extension of the formal greeting. "Hi, my name is Jim Bob and no, I'm not a Star Wars fan". It's all very insane. We will likely never see something quite like this again. It really is the 21st century's A New Hope.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

A bit lower than some were expecting, looks like your $1.1b is toast movie man.

:lol: You wish. If the storms had an impact the weekday holds will be all the better for it. And even if 1.1b didn't happen, boo hoo only 1b+ for it. However will I survive this devastation? 

7 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I wanna say the weather but looks like, as others said, it just couldn't keep following Avatar's drops (avatar dropped 14,2% 2nd Sunday from Saturday).

Looks like we're headed for -22%, around that. We'll see on Monday! It's still early though

It won't have the Avatars legs all the time. Thats obvious. Its already over 300m ahead of Avatar, not a problem if it dropped a little more...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Darn I was also hoping for more like $50M Sunday or maybe $48M or so. Ah well. I just hope the mid-week numbers hold up to $100M+ for the four days. I'll be happy with that for sure.

I think anyone tracking this should be happy regardless. This movie has literally obliterated all reasonable expectations. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

2 million drop from estimates and now the movie is doomed. :rofl:

More like @GiantCALBears just being a Giant Party Pooper. We must remember, this is a time of great turmoil for the non-SW fans out there. They are wrought with pain and anguish over why their favorite franchises couldn't even hold a candle to this run and need to vent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If it drops below 45m today, I'd be willing to bet a -18-20% hold is coming Monday. 

Need the weather to clear up. Even though the snow is supposed to stop overnight, temperatures in the low 20's mean frozen roads tomorrow. My company is keeping the office closed tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

More like @GiantCALBears just being a Giant Party Pooper. We must remember, this is a time of great turmoil for the non-SW fans out there. They are wrought with pain and anguish over why their favorite franchises couldn't even hold a candle to this run and need to vent. 

I'm actually a much bigger SW fan than Avatar, TA, JW, or Titanic. What's your excuse? Oh yeah, recency bias.

I'm not sure people realize how large a swath of the US is being drastically affected by the weather, and has been since yesterday evening.  Hopefully we'll be clear some point tomorrow, but there's no guarantee (it is STILL snowing!) ...and one of the posters in Texas mentioned family members whose power will be out for a week.  BTW, a pretty large chunk of the UK is dealing with record rainfall and flooding, so there go the UK #s for the weekend.

But seriously, if later in the week doesn't pick up then sure it's burned off demand...I don't see how this weekend and possibly tomorrow aren't affected by weather.

• Like 2