#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

10 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Had a beautiful experience last night watching TFA in a mostly empty theater at midnight till 230. 6th time was amazing.

awesome. not sure anything can touch my 5th viewing in IMAX and the crowd I had, but I sitll may do number 6.  There really isn't much else out to see anyway.  Although I am tempted with The Big Short or something else.  but TFA will probably win out :P 

3 minutes ago, lilmac said:

@75live and Baumer

I saw it six times as well. Considering a 7th time because, well, this is the 7th episode. :)

good idea.  I like the coordination and consistency with the 7 :P 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Only problem with that is, no one remembers Worldwide, they only remember Domestic and Domestic has it that The FORCE AWAKENS was too much of a Force for AVATAR to contend with.. The ass beating of the Century and did so quicker than it took for AVATAR to make 769M Domestic.. No one remembers #2, only #1 and STAR WARS is it...:bravo:

Nobody remembers worldwide gross? For your kind information most of the people outside of USA remember worldwide gross and very few care about DOM gross.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Only problem with that is, no one remembers Worldwide, they only remember Domestic and Domestic has it that The FORCE AWAKENS was too much of a Force for AVATAR to contend with.. The ass beating of the Century and did so quicker than it took for AVATAR to make 769M Domestic.. No one remembers #2, only #1 and STAR WARS is it...:bravo:

Can't we just enjoy TFA run without trying to minimize other movie's runs ? Also I know this is the domestic part of the forum but it doesn't mean that WW numbers are not as important as DOM numbers. Actually as a foreigner I am only interested in DOM numbers because you guys are so invested and because it seems possible to predict the next week numbers from OW. Which is impossible for foreign numbers as they don't make sense as a whole, each country numbers should be analysed separatly.

Anyway, as it has been said more than enough, Avatar's run was EPIC, TFA's run is EPIC, Titanic's run was EPIC, I don't see why a new great run makes the older less good in any way.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

This is such bullshit, worldwide has been and always will be the most talked about box-office milestone.  TDK wasn't considered the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time when it came out except a few people on sites like this. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

The News always reports the Domestic total as Gospel 1st and occasionally, the Worldwide Number will be mentioned and in this case, it'll be STAR WARS beats AVATAR and dominates it in Quick Fashion... :hi5:

dom local news I guess? Might also depend on which ones you watch, I kno at least one news channel in the US who either forgets a lot of outside the US or gets a lot (luaghing stock here in Europe) wrong about countries outside the US

I am still laughing me silly about my country being warmer / sunnier than the US.

presales are average so far: $0.33M for midnight Fri, $1.3M for opening Sat.

SHERLOCK: THE ABOMINABLE BRIDE debuted in 1st place w/ est $5.6M on Monday

that one gets a limited US release at 5. and 6. December btw

22 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

The News always reports the Domestic total as Gospel 1st and occasionally, the Worldwide Number will be mentioned and in this case, it'll be STAR WARS beats AVATAR and dominates it in Quick Fashion... :hi5:

The news in the US always reports domestic gross. You see the news that the US shows because well, you live in the US. But the news outside this country likely reports WW gross. And despite what you may believe BKB, the US only accounts for MAYBE 5% of the world's population.

At the end of the day, Avatar's WW gross = more money for the studio than Star War's WW gross. I think that's all they really care about when they're counting their millions and millions.

• Like 3

I think it depends. 

Sw7 becoming the highest grossing film of all time will likely be the most mainstream box office news since avatar imo.

Already Sw7 box office is the most mainstream box office news I have seen since avatar.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tokila said:

the simple answer would be that Sequels are somewhat limited by the audience they saw the 1st. You could say the pool of people going to see EP 8 is the people who went to see TFA. TFA even though a sequel was designed to be accessible to everyone, even at that there are alot of people who did not go to TFA because they had not seen Star Wars before. The sequels that do better than the originals tend to be movies that the original was unknown and grew in popularity after it left the theater. Bad Boys, Terminator fall into that category.

That is what was so amazing about TLOTR. Each gotten better and better results with each movie. 

Yeah, the Toy Story trilogy as well, though TS3 probably came a bit shy of TS2 admissions but still close. 

36 minutes ago, Letsuseournoggin said:

The news in the US always reports domestic gross. You see the news that the US shows because well, you live in the US. But the news outside this country likely reports WW gross. And despite what you may believe BKB, the US only accounts for MAYBE 5% of the world's population.

At the end of the day, Avatar's WW gross = more money for the studio than Star War's WW gross. I think that's all they really care about when they're counting their millions and millions.

And since 6 years people only mentioned 2,79b $ . This is the number that counts. Everything else is made up bullshit.

2,79b $

2,79b $

2,79b $

2,79b $

Nevertheless i´m ok with tfa beating avatar dom wise, movie was great and it deserves every $ it gets.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Baumer Fett said:

Had a beautiful experience last night watching TFA in a mostly empty theater at midnight till 230. 6th time was amazing.

TFA is a special case for me, considering I've only seen it through once, but considering I go to watch it every single time I'm in my break and when I get off, you could say I've seen it close to 10-11 times :/

• Like 1

I don't get all the squabbling over TFA and Avatar.  Both are huge.  That's wonderful for both of them and just for fans in general.  Though I'm personally more of a fan of Aliens/Terminator-era Cameron, I admire him for putting his money where his mouth is with Avatar and pushing technology and the movie experience forward.  We need more filmmakers willing to do that kind of thing.  Star Wars clearly still resonates with a lot of people.  Nostalgia is a factor, sure, but the best part to me was my 9 year old daughter in the car on the way home from our first viewing expressing surprise that the girl was the hero "because usually, its the boy."  There is a whole new generation that is getting excited about SW and a generation finding its way back.  That was a nearly insurmountable task, but JJ and Disney/Lucasfilm pulled it off.  We should be celebrating these achievements all around, not fighting over which amazing accomplishment is the most amazing-est thing to ever amaze.  'Course, it would'be the internet if everyone didn't find something to bicker over, I suppose.

• Like 12

To be honest, it matters not to me which one takes the crown. Avatar, although a very good movie, was nothing to write home about for me personally. I haven't even seen Star Wars so I won't comment, but as far as box office runs go, they are both quite magical.

Avatar had this slow burn that just kept going and going and going which was just astounding. Its drops were amazing to watch. Star Wars on the other hand is the massive juggernaut steamrolling its way to to the top. Depends which is your cup of tea, but they're both good for cinema.

Star Wars domestic crown will be untouched for a long long time while Avatar's WW crown seems safe as well for some time.

• Like 4