#ED

Tuesday : TFA $7,967,428 #ED was Asleep at the Wheel(He's sicky-poo)

Following RotK's weekly drops, with the 3rd week's W and R approximated by M-W and M-R drops,

$118.7m third week

$51.1m fourth weekend (could be a little high)

$61.1m fourth week (with a $51.1m fourth weekend I highly doubt it'd be this low)

$1.031B

Before this past weekend RotK drops week to week gave a third week of $103m (already at $106m with an $8m T number), and a final of $981m

• Like 1

900m - 2 years until beaten

1bil - 2 years until beaten

1.1bil - 2 years until beaten

It's still looking like 950m to me, probably 1.15bil OS before china.

2.1bil before china

2.3-2.5b after china

Just now, IronJimbo said:

900m - 2 years until beaten

1bil - 2 years until beaten

1.1bil - 2 years until beaten

It's still looking like 950m to me, probably 1.15bil OS before china.

2.1bil before china

2.3-2.5b after china

HAHHAAHA dude, wow. You keep being you. You're the most hilarious JC troll on here :P

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

2 Years until EPISODE VIII Comes out and knocks The FORCE AWAKENS down a notch.. The Popularity will still be there, VII ended with a Cliffhanger making you look forward to VIII and whatever date Disney finally decides on for VIII will be just as much excitement as VII.. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves...

I think you're probably right, it will mak earound 1.1b.

For SW8

1b - 8 months until beaten

1.1b - 8 months until beaten

1.2b - 8 months until beaten

• Like 2

An 8M Tues would bring my midline model to $1.003B on 3/31.

FWIW, with an 8M number TFA would have over a $132M cushion on Avatar's remaining take through March (1/6-3/31)to get to $1B by 3/31.

Here is something sort of insane to think about. If TFA was to gross $1.5M less than Avatar every day forward for the rest of its run (ie, 5.4 Wed, 4.5 Thur etc) it would pass $1B on Feb 20th. That won't happen, but just shows you how much of a quick build it had in its cumulative gross.

Another thing to keep in mind. it will make some money in the second run theaters. JW was at 640 when it went to second run and ended up at 652 - making some 12M in second run theaters. 

• Like 1

People are delusional if they think Jurassic Park 5, Episode 8 or Avatar 2 will even come close to the numbers Jurassic World, Episode 7 and Avatar made. Delusional. The same that happened with Ultron will happen with both of those.

• Like 8

Just now, vc2002 said:

I think mods will have a lot to do with this thread and the upcoming Wed nunber thread. A lot of posts will be moved to this one.

hopefully you are right :) 

• Like 1

Box Office: 5 Lessons for 2016 From Hollywood's Record Highs and Lows

5. Learn to love (and hate) China

As China becomes the world's largest movie market, many assume Hollywood studios will benefit. But 2015 showed it's tougher than ever for outsiders to secure prime release dates and keep films on screens. Even as China revenue jumped a staggering 49 percent to $6.77 billion, U.S. market share fell from 45.5 percent in 2014 to 38.4 percent. State regulators are more intent than ever to promote local fare, imposing blackout periods and maintaining a quota system. For instance, Minions and Pixels opened within two days of each other and only one week after Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation. And in December, The Martian lost screens more quickly than expected, topping out at $94 million. Only three U.S. films landed on China's top 10 chart — Furious 7 (No. 2, $372.6 million), Avengers: Age of Ultron (No. 4, $224.9 million) and Jurassic World (No. 6, $216.2 million). Like everything about the 2015 box office, it was feast or famine.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-5-lessons-2016-852391

• Like 2

Ep. 8 can grow only in Latin America and Asia. Everywhere else it will drop. I mean Ep. 7 just reached 1M admissions in Hungary, only 2 movies did this in 20 years (TPM, Avatar). Ep. 8 will be lucky if it makes 2/3 of the money here.

2 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

On the contrary, VII left people wanting more with a Cliffhanger and made you want VIII right off the bat.. The Weekend VIII comes out will be just as much madness as VII Produced.. No way that it's not.. A movie doesn't make what VII has thus far and all of sudden, drop in popularity 2 years down the road..

Going from something like 950M to 700M DOM or so isn't dropping in popularity :lol: 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I had no idea there were actual Avatar fans.

I am too a fan and I have him as the only one here on ignore. I never thought I'd do that.

But I am also a fan of other movies, franchises,... (incl. SW) and director's works and so on.

And, maybe the most, a fan of ww BO business... as in rooting for the business getting still ppl into cinemas, not rooting for 'one team', but celebrating each of them for being successful to varying degrees.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

On the contrary, VII left people wanting more with a Cliffhanger and made you want VIII right off the bat.. The Weekend VIII comes out will be just as much madness as VII Produced.. No way that it's not.. A movie doesn't make what VII has thus far and all of sudden, drop in popularity 2 years down the road..

Star Wars  --> Empire Strikes Back is just one of several examples of mega blockbusters having a drop off for the sequel (even  if the sequel is better)

Break out blockbusters tend to attract those who wouldn't normally see this genre or kind of film because they get swept up in the wave or want to be part of the discourse.    For many of those people this does not carry over to the sequel though some can later be re-hooked for the "finale"  See Jedi.

Domestically, I expect at least the usual 25-35% dip for the sequel.  See ESB, IJ: TOD, JP:TLW, SW: AOTC, POTC: EOTW, TDKR, AOU - or basically every sequel to a mega blockbuster (65+admissions) except Thunderball (which increased about 12.5%) and Spider-Man 2 which still dipped about 8% domestically.

As shown by those same sequels though, it has room to grow O/S.  Asia and L.A are growing markets where SW has done well but not uber blockbuster numbers.   AOU grew OS even with the far poorer than 2012 exchange rates.