terrestrial

Wednesday 6th, 2016 | SW 7 $6.2M = $764.4 = Officially #1 | DH 1.54 | H8 1.44 | Sisters 1.16 | BigShort 869k | Joy 855k | p.7 chart

Just now, In the Heart of the Tree said:

that's how I felt about every 3D movie until I saw The Walk.

i saw one clip of jgl as the frenchman. it could be 5d where someone comes out of the screen to suck my dick and there's still NO WAY I'm sitting through those two hours. nope. I'll take your word for it.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i saw one clip of jgl as the frenchman. it could be 5d where someone comes out of the screen to suck my dick and there's still NO WAY I'm sitting through those two hours. nope. I'll take your word for it.

there's a line in the opening scene where JGL speaks to the audience as narrator, and he literally says, "I am not une American, ahhh but I bet you could not tell zhat already from my accént!"

I was very tempted to leave the cinema... but I'm glad I stayed.

19 minutes ago, In the Heart of the Tree said:

1. Avatar is better in 2D than 3D.

2. The Walk

3. Dunno why I'm replying to a troll

Avatar's 3D is absolutely amazing, I know the movie has a weak plot, and mediocre acting, but that 3D the stunning visuals that is how the movie made its $760m.  Avatar made people actually want to watch 3D movies. 

1 minute ago, 23IsEverywhere said:

Avatar's 3D is absolutely amazing, I know the movie has a weak plot, and mediocre acting, but that 3D the stunning visuals that is how the movie made its $760m.  Avatar made people actually want to watch 3D movies. 

stunning visuals/cinematography =/= 3D

I'm sure Cameron and Fox will have a congratulatory ad out soon. Only a classless jerk and/or bitter studio would let something like this come to pass without giving due credit.

Edited by jedieb

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I am fully convinced anyone who saw Avatar in IMAX 3D and was not impressed with the 3D must have the kind of eyes that can't see the effect correctly, because it was phenomenal. 

Me too. I saw it a second time a month into its run in Real IMAX and it's probably the most breathtaking theatrical experience I ever had.

• Like 1

So I just came back from my 3rd and final viewing.

Lots of people on reddit said the 3rd viewing was the best - I don't agree. 2nd definitely was. That's when the music just started clicking for me. It clicked very well on the 3rd, but there were some scenes I was like "can't wait for the best scenes" instead of being in the moment, like I was for the first 2 viewings.

Anyway, still was very well worth it. This movie is pretty good.

Personal note: This is why I go to the movies early, when they just come out. Crowd was indistinguishable from zombies. I went to the first showing, thursday Dec 17 and holy shit was the crowd hyped, it was incredible. Well worth the trouble of waiting in line.

On the topic of box office, I contributed $45 to the movie's total. Yay! Also, side comment, but the general populace really don't understand box office and how movies make their money.

edit: apparently reddit doesn't either, especially when they throw comments like " China will either help Star Wars destroy the worldwide record, or help it inch past it. It's really about how much China likes BB-8 " and get upvoted 600 times that you start questioning people's knowledge of box office. 

Barring an absolute miracle, Avatar isn't yielding out the top spot. And its record is certainly not getting "destroyed" either, even if it does fall to a miracle gross in China.

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 1

It's probably finishing around $2 billion without China, and that's the best case scenario. Presales aren't great for TFA in China right now, and some people think it may actually gross only $100 million there. Maybe $150 million upper end. It's definitely not getting anywhere close to Avatar's WW record unless it doubles the current #1 film in China (Monster Hunt at $393 million). There is a real possibility of TFA failing to surpass even Titanic's WW figure or Furious 7's OS gross. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

edit: apparently reddit doesn't either, especially when they throw comments like " China will either help Star Wars destroy the worldwide record, or help it inch past it. It's really about how much China likes BB-8 " and get upvoted 600 times that you start questioning people's knowledge of box office. 

99.99999% of the people are not boxoffice nerds like us.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Letsuseournoggin said:

Some of the folks (one person in particular) seem to continue to push this adjusted stuff because they seem hurt TFA is passing their favorite movie (Avatar/Titanic). Whether it adjust higher or not due to inflation isn't always the whole story though.. the piracy TFA faces in 2015/2016 is so much greater than any of those movies on the all time adjusted list faced. On top of that, there is far more competition from rivaling studios today vs. 30 t0 40 years ago when there just weren't as many releases. There are so many variables at play here that help solidify TFA as one of the best runs ever, and there are also so many factors at play that show stuff like Gone with the Wind, Dalmatians, Excorcist, Titanic were more impressive. The truth is, none of us will ever TRULY know which movie deserves the unanimous crown for best domestic run of all time. You can make a case for so many of the movies listed.

FWIW, I like the adjusted list more than the nominal dollars list because, at least concerning movies released in my time of personal experience (basically, since 1974), the adjusted list corresponds more closely to my qualitative recollection of how "big" these movies were culturally when they were on their first run. If somebody asked me what movies have been the "biggest" since then, and I had no idea about any actual numbers, I would say:

1) Star Wars

2) ET

3) Jaws

4) Titanic

... with films like TFA and Avatar below these.

Now just looking at the lists, this is pretty close to how the Adjusted chart has them, while the nominal chart is significantly different. This tells me that, even though there is piracy and streaming and many other differences between today and 40 years ago, the adjusted chart is capturing "cultural size" more accurately than the nominal rankings.

And again FWIW, this has nothing to do with my personal fandom. For example, of those four movies listed here, my order of personal preference is (1) Jaws, (2) Star Wars, (3) Titanic, and (4) ET, which differs from my sense of how "big" those films were.

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I am fully convinced anyone who saw Avatar in IMAX 3D and was not impressed with the 3D must have the kind of eyes that can't see the effect correctly, because it was phenomenal. 

No.

My eyes can see the 3D effect and it was pretty useless in Avatar, totally overhyped. The CGI was incredible though.

• Like 1