terrestrial

Wednesday 6th, 2016 | SW 7 $6.2M = $764.4 = Officially #1 | DH 1.54 | H8 1.44 | Sisters 1.16 | BigShort 869k | Joy 855k | p.7 chart

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

SPOILER = the Chinese clip that caused the buzz = music video that shows IMHO way too much of the movie. Not sure if I should delete it or not?

Reveal hidden contents

Any official release is considered acceptable. It's up to individual members to decide whether to watch or not.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Any official release is considered acceptable. It's up to individual members to decide whether to watch or not.

Thank you, ... (I guess I warned clearly enough for to avoid accidential fast clicks on the clip, I hope)

Edited by terrestrial

11 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Also, they predict that TFA will finish its domestic run with 900-910 M

Which is, honestly, the absolute floor right now

Yep, basically zero chance it finishes that low.  Jurassic World did an additional $132 mil at this point in its run which would bring TFA right near 900 mil and TFA is clearly going to do quite a bit more than Jurassic World did for the rest of its run. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darth Rallax said:

Not only is it the first sequel on the list, it's the first movie to break the opening weekend record and then go on to become the domestic champ since Jaws.  And let's face it that was so long ago it may as well not count.  

Whether holding both records goes back to Jaws or Star Wars is very slightly debatable. Star Wars set the weekend record in (I think) its 11th weekend, probably because it had a slower rollout. And then it set the weekend record again (taking it from Jaws 2) with the opening of the '78 re-release/expansion. So while you can argue it didn't set the opening weekend record, in one way, it did in another. And it did set the weekend record twice, which no other film has done.

Star Wars and Superman are the only two films that have set weekend records not on their opening weekend.

I just straight up missed the entire Star Wars hype train, The Force Awakens almost outright flopped in India and had little to no promotion there, and by the time I am back here in the US it has earned most of its money already. Will probably watch it at some point maybe just to join in the discussions.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I just straight up missed the entire Star Wars hype train, The Force Awakens almost outright flopped in India and had little to no promotion there, and by the time I am back here in the US it has earned most of its money already. Will probably watch it at some point maybe just to join in the discussions.

Tonight would be a good night to see it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

You didn't miss much. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I am waiting for your review. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DamienRoc said:

Whether holding both records goes back to Jaws or Star Wars is very slightly debatable. Star Wars set the weekend record in (I think) its 11th weekend, probably because it had a slower rollout. And then it set the weekend record again (taking it from Jaws 2) with the opening of the '78 re-release/expansion. So while you can argue it didn't set the opening weekend record, in one way, it did in another. And it did set the weekend record twice, which no other film has done.

Star Wars and Superman are the only two films that have set weekend records not on their opening weekend.

Well, I'm specifically talking about opening weekend.  That those movies were able to set weekend records 10-11 weeks into release is certainly impressive and will never ever happen again. But that goes to show you just how different these two eras are.  The weekend record was so small in the 70's that it didn't take much to beat it and movies had legs then too. 

To be able to utterly destroy the opening weekend record and then be able to destroy the domestic total by at least $200m when everything else that has tried has come up way short is just crazy. 

I wasn't suggesting Avatar's run wasn't incredibly impressive in North America, haha, not at all! It was very impressive, especially with those types of holds. You don't see that outside of Titanic, Avatar, Home Alone, and The Sixth Sense among some of the bigger movies since 1990. I was only saying that the 3D boost was enormous in increasing that gross from what would have probably been more like $550M at the time to a record-breaking $760M release (or two). I saw Avatar 3 times in theaters and always in 3D, it just looked way better like that. I've seen it in 2D at home and 3D at home and it's still always way better in 3D. It just looks amazing. It's still quite a cinematic experience on every level, best experienced on a large screen with 3D and killer surround sound. The same could be said of most blockbusters, but Avatar especially was an event. 

I was only saying that Avatar's domestic record seemed a heck of a lot more beatable before TFA came out than its worldwide total, which given exchange rates and whatnot I don't think anyone believed TFA would beat that. Unless they were just a fanboy with little to no understanding of the box office. Look at Avatar's grosses in many of its top markets -- they didn't just win the countries, they blew everything else away. In the USA, Avatar's victory over Titanic was substantial and large, but percentage-wise it doesn't compare to how in some markets around the world Avatar literally beat the old record by 100% or more. It's astonishing. I'm not even sure how that happens frankly lol. It seems like some countries are much more closely bunched than others. Take the UK, for instance, where there are a bunch of films in that $130M to $160M range or whatever. Most markets are not that close -- usually one film or two films tower above the rest. 

Even looking at the U.S., it's a rare film that breaks $400M, but then you have only one film in the $500M range, three in the $600Ms, and for now two in the $700Ms.

4 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Inflation-Adjusted Top 10 Movies Released Since 1977

Note: This chart is adjusted for inflation. The figures represent the total amount of money a movie has taken in domestically over its lifetime taking into account the cost of tickets.

Released Film Name Total Box Office
1 1977 Star Wars Ep. IV: A New Hope $1,362,751,062
2 1997 Titanic $1,139,182,838
3 1982 ET: The Extra-Terrestrial $1,124,651,941
4 2009 Avatar $826,198,130
5 1980 Star Wars Ep. V: The Empire Strikes Back $808,182,542
6 1983 Star Wars Ep. VI: Return of the Jedi $778,214,979
7 2015 Star Wars Ep. VII: The Force Awakens $758,198,252
8 1994 The Lion King $756,219,975
9 1999 Star Wars Ep. I: The Phantom Menace $755,899,504
10 1993 Jurassic Park $755,387,687

5 Star Wars movies in the top 10. Unreal. I think America likes Star Wars :P

Man this list really speaks for how Lucas, Spielberg and Cameron were the kings since 1977. Only one movie out of these fucking ten is not from any of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spizzer said:

NOVA/DC friends - who's been to Angelika in Fairfax?  Planning on seeing Revenant there tomorrow, how's the sound setup?

It's a great theater with a solid digital setup 

(terrible film tho)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spizzer said:

NOVA/DC friends - who's been to Angelika in Fairfax?  Planning on seeing Revenant there tomorrow, how's the sound setup?

I've been meaning to catch a show there as well.  Let me know how it turns out. 

• Like 1