WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

So 300M for Zootopia, 500M for BvS, 400M for Civil War, Over Shrek 2 for Finding Dory, 500M for Rogue One

This year we're setting insane expectations for every single movie and screaming flop when they do reasonable numbers instead. I can dig it.

In other words, just like every other year

• Like 8

Figured it'd be fun to see what clubs of the Top 10 of 2015 succeeded and failed (MI, JW and AOU's OPs were purged):

TFA:

Over 160M OW

Over 1.8B

Over 600M DOM

Over Avatar DOM

Biggest Second Weekend

OD Record

Opening Week over MJP2 total

Every Day of the Week Friday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday

Under AOU DOM and OS

#1 6 weekends in a row (probably)

Over 300M OW and 200M Second Weekend

Every Day of the Week Saturday, Wednesday, and Thursday

IO:

Over Brave

Over 75M OW

Over Minions

Furious 7:

Over 6

Over 270M DOM

Over 120M OW

Over Minions WW

Over 300M

Over 250M WW OW

Over 1B WW

Over American Sniper DOM

Over AOU OS

Over DH2 WW

Minions:

Over 1B WW

Over 80M OW

Under Shrek 4 DOM

Over 500M DOM (WTF lol)

Animated OW Record

2nd Weekend over DM's OW

Mockingjay:

Under 350M DOM

Under Furious 7 WW

MJP2+TFA over 1B DOM

Over 1B WW

Over 400M DOM

Over AOU

Domestic 2015 Crown

The Martian:

Over Black Hawk Down Adjusted

Over Gravity OW

Over Gravity WW (my club :( )

Spectre:

Over MJP2 WW

Over MJP2 OS

Over 300M

Over MJP2 DOM 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

inarritu seems like one of the only filmmakers where having a movie that's actually big w/ the masses would piss him off. so i'll root for its success.

Considering he went over twice the budget my bet is even he's rooting for the great unwashed to love it.

5 minutes ago, #ED said:

Oh and for you college football fans, YES YOU TELE.

Amid the many reasons College Football Playoff Executive Director Bill Hancock gave for the ratings dive, in particular noncompetitive games, one person told to him “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” being in theaters may have hurt them.

The ratings, however, were no laughing matter, a drop-off of 36 percent. The Cotton and Orange Bowl received 9.9 and 9.7 overnight ratings, respectively, while last year, the Rose and Sugar Bowl posted ratings of 15.5 and 15.3. Still, look for the semifinals to be back on New Year’s Eve next year before moving back to New Year’s Day — as originally planned — the following year, according to Hancock.

http://nypost.com/2016/01/08/espns-out-20m-and-playoff-exec-is-blaming-star-wars/

:lol:

Hancock is full of shit. It's the NYE scheduling. Just wait until 2018... oh wait, then it'll be AVATAR's fault.

5 minutes ago, #ED said:

Oh and for you college football fans, YES YOU TELE.

Amid the many reasons College Football Playoff Executive Director Bill Hancock gave for the ratings dive, in particular noncompetitive games, one person told to him “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” being in theaters may have hurt them.

The ratings, however, were no laughing matter, a drop-off of 36 percent. The Cotton and Orange Bowl received 9.9 and 9.7 overnight ratings, respectively, while last year, the Rose and Sugar Bowl posted ratings of 15.5 and 15.3. Still, look for the semifinals to be back on New Year’s Eve next year before moving back to New Year’s Day — as originally planned — the following year, according to Hancock.

http://nypost.com/2016/01/08/espns-out-20m-and-playoff-exec-is-blaming-star-wars/

[emoji38]

Hancock is full of shit. It's the NYE scheduling. Just wait until 2018... oh wait, then it'll be AVATAR's fault.

It goes both ways. No one wants to blame their own product for its failure

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Seems a little more pronounced this year, if that's even possible. Saw a 250M prediction for Deadpool!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Seems a little more pronounced this year, if that's even possible. Saw a 250M prediction for Deadpool!

Speaking of, finally saw a trailer for that with The Revenant. Looks like a complete mess

• Like 2

Just now, tribefan695 said:

Speaking of, finally saw a trailer for that with The Revenant. Looks like a complete mess

"Mess" is probably kinder than I would put it

But didn't you hear, it's supposed to be awful trash! Comic accurate!

This has become one of my favorite films of the year alongside Mad Max, Inside Out, The Big Short and The Martian, so it's great to see a well-made film do well.

*crosses fingers for $40-50 million opening weekend.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Figured it'd be fun to see what clubs of the Top 10 of 2015 succeeded and failed (MI, JW and AOU's OPs were purged):

TFA:

Over 160M OW

Over 1.8B

Over 600M DOM

Over Avatar DOM

Biggest Second Weekend

OD Record

Opening Week over MJP2 total

Every Day of the Week Friday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday

Under AOU DOM and OS

#1 6 weekends in a row (probably)

Over 300M OW and 200M Second Weekend

Every Day of the Week Saturday, Wednesday, and Thursday

IO:

Over Brave

Over 75M OW

Over Minions

Furious 7:

Over 6

Over 270M DOM

Over 120M OW

Over Minions WW

Over 300M

Over 250M WW OW

Over 1B WW

Over American Sniper DOM

Over AOU OS

Over DH2 WW

Minions:

Over 1B WW

Over 80M OW

Under Shrek 4 DOM

Over 500M DOM (WTF lol)

Animated OW Record

2nd Weekend over DM's OW

Mockingjay:

Under 350M DOM

Under Furious 7 WW

MJP2+TFA over 1B DOM

Over 1B WW

Over 400M DOM

Over AOU

Domestic 2015 Crown

The Martian:

Over Black Hawk Down Adjusted

Over Gravity OW

Over Gravity WW (my club :( )

Spectre:

Over MJP2 WW

Over MJP2 OS

Over 300M

Over MJP2 DOM 

Don't forget my TFA over SW Adjusted club.  It may have failed, but I am still proud because it tried hard.

• Like 2

Just now, The Panda said:

Don't forget my TFA over SW Adjusted club.  It may have failed, but I am still proud because it tried hard.

There's probably a bunch I missed since they weren't in the main thread's OP.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Deadpool will have huge preview numbers for sure, maybe even 6M or more which will lead to everyone overpredicting the weekend, and then it will pull a Pacific Rim with the previews accounting for a much larger portion of OW than is normal. The 3.6M Pacific Rim had in previews led to everyone thinking a 50M OW was coming.

Weren't there quite a few "Pacific Rim over 1B WW" posts at that time as well?

Just now, CJohn said:

All my predictions of 2015 were perfect and glorious. I have nothing else to say.

You are single-handedly responsible for that SW OW imo

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Furious 7:

Over 6

Over 270M DOM

Over 120M OW

Over Minions WW

Over 300M

Over 250M WW OW

Over 1B WW

Over American Sniper DOM

Over AOU OS

Over DH2 WW

Half of these clubs were created after the OW and in some cases after it broke the "Quickest to 1B" record at the time. The other clubs here look to be logical extensions from how Fast 6 performed instead of completely ridiculous numbers.

• Like 2