WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

45 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

Ouch. I was hoping for better for Roddy Piper's finale, but seeing it was only opening on 400 screens was a very bad omen.

1 hour ago, JJ-8 said:

Lmao, that's like $275 per theater and half of the theater average Jem got on OW. Here I thought it would maybe pull a couple mil. :lol:

• Like 1

it's possible that The Revenant could get some sort of boost after the win, but today's numbers could be bad for a lot of movies with the college football championship being on tonight.

44 minutes ago, 75live said:

it's possible that The Revenant could get some sort of boost after the win, but today's numbers could be bad for a lot of movies with the college football championship being on tonight.

I'd be surprised if the game tonight had a major impact on grosses, unless you live in Alabama or South Carolina. I expect ratings to be down for this game, just like the semi finals. Clemson is not a national brand. They have their fanbase locally, but people on the west coast, for example, couldn't care less about them being in the game. And I think I can speak for everyone outside of Alabama when I say that the entire country is tired of seeing Saban (or the SEC for that matter) in the championship game year after year.

1 minute ago, misterchief81 said:

I'd be surprised if the game tonight had a major impact on grosses, unless you live in Alabama or South Carolina. I expect ratings to be down for this game, just like the semi finals. Clemson is not a national brand. They have their fanbase locally, but people on the west coast, for example, couldn't care less about them being in the game. And I think I can speak for everyone outside of Alabama when I say that the entire country is tired of seeing Saban (or the SEC for that matter) in the championship game year after year.

well the semis being on NYE is the main reason their ratings were down.  But i am not disagreeing with you that the game may also have bad ratings, but still a championship game tends to get good viewers.  however, yeah I don't know how big or little the impact will be.  It may be very negligible as you are saying. 

I would think most of the people watching the game would have already had their fill of TFA. Revenant might take a hit but it'll balance out the rest of the week. It's not like everyone says "oh shit the game is tonight I guess we can't ever go see <insert movie>"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spazz91 said:

I would think most of the people watching the game would have already had their fill of TFA. Revenant might take a hit but it'll balance out the rest of the week. It's not like everyone says "oh shit the game is tonight I guess we can't ever go see <insert movie>"

totally agree, I was just referring to tonight.  yeah anyone that wants to see the game tonight and a movie another time will do so :) 

46 minutes ago, misterchief81 said:

Maybe in California you feel that way. But college football national championship is a huge deal no matter who is involved IMHO. I will be watching.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Ride Along may come first but Star Wars will still probably lose to Revenant.

Depends on word of mouth. Revenant had a fantastic opening weekend, but if a large majority of this weekend's audience tell their friends that it was too long, too violent, too boring etc (and the cinemascore wasn't great, so that 's a possibility), it's 2nd weekend holds might not be enough to overtake TFA. Ride Along should beat TFA though.

• Like 1

Universal:
Sisters                         $7,189,455    -44%    2,864    -114    $2,510    $73,899,400    
Krampus                         $132,325    -84%      245    -418       $540    $42,592,530    

Open Road:
Spotlight                         $928,471    -22%      368    -17      $2,523    $28,546,477    

IFC
45 Years                           $77,117    -12%         9       3      $8,569    $341,270
The Treasure                     $13,624      --            3    --         $4,541    $13,624    
Anesthesia                          $6,747      --            1    --         $6,747    $6,747    

STX:
Secret in Their Eyes           $27,947    -42%       62     -5          $451    $20,167,424    

Roadside:
Chi-Raq                            $10,189    -67%      14    -3            $728    $2,622,372    

GKIDS:
Only Yesterday                    $8,004    -47%      1       0         $8,004    $32,879    

First Run:
Troublemakers: The Story of Land Art    $5,424    --    4    --    $1,356    $5,424    

Music Box:
Censored Voices                  $4,654       --         3    --             $1,551    $34,151    
Flowers                              $3,813    320%      5    3                 $763    $55,479    

Abramorama:
Heart of a Dog                    $3,783    -49%      4    -4                $946    $329,856    

Film Movement:
Theeb                                 $2,245    -45%     6    0                 $374    $170,096

International Film Circuit:
River of Fundament                $540      --          1    --                $540    $14,521  

Drafthouse:
The World of Kanako              $434    -66%       1    -2               $434    $15,336    6    

• Like 2