terrestrial

Monday's (12.January) Revenant 4.02 | SW 7 3.1 | DH 843k | Forest 658k | H8 589k | Sisters 544k | Big Short 506k

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

Just because the first one was a fluke hit, does not mean the sequel, to a film that was not very well liked and one that looks even worse, is going to generate the same kind of revenue.  sure it will probably hit $25m or so. but I think 13 hours is just as likely, and at least that movie looks entertaining. I'm also extremely bias to star wars getting dethroned to possibly one of the worst films of the year. so who knows maybe you are right but I really hope not.

Critics didn't like the first Ride Along very much but audience reception was mixed at worst even if it's largely been forgotten. I'd hardly say it was "not very well liked". As for "looks even worse" that's just your opinion. I saw the trailer before Concussion and everyone in the theater laughed at Kevin Hart's jokes.

(I think the critical dissonance is due to the critics not liking that Ride Along used so many buddy-cop cliches and the GP appreciating that Cube and Hart's chemistry is what drives the film.)

Edited by department store basement

18 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Critics didn't like the first Ride Along very much but audience reception was mixed at worst even if it's largely been forgotten. I'd hardly say it was "not very well liked". As for "looks even worse" that's just your opinion. I saw the trailer before Concussion and everyone in the theater laughed at Kevin Hart's jokes.

(I think the critical dissonance is due to the critics not liking that Ride Along used so many buddy-cop cliches and the GP appreciating that Cube and Hart's chemistry is what drives the film.)

Still don't think it will match the Box Office of the first. and Ted was a well like movie and the second still had a significant drop. comedy sequels rarely do as well as their predecessors either. 

That's a much bigger drop than I expected. Theaters near me are already 80-90% full for showings through the rest of the night. (For Star Wars) I'm sure some will sell out by showtime. Gotta love discount Tuesday. 

It's just 2 theaters... But hopefully it translates into a decent sized bump today. +30% ? 

9 minutes ago, rustyspoons89 said:

That's a much bigger drop than I expected. Theaters near me are already 80-90% full for showings through the rest of the night. (For Star Wars) I'm sure some will sell out by showtime. Gotta love discount Tuesday. 

It's just 2 theaters... But hopefully it translates into a decent sized bump today. +30% ? 

Do you know how showings are doing for other movies?

55 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Still don't think it will match the Box Office of the first. and Ted was a well like movie and the second still had a significant drop. comedy sequels rarely do as well as their predecessors either. 

I can actually see it having a 22JS style run (though it won't reach 22JS's final total). The reviews aren't in yet so let's see what happens.

14 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

Star Wars (Special Edition)  

$259,346,500    

Adjusted for inflation, Star Wars's special edition release made $260 M

Impressive when you think about it. It was only a re-release!

Absolutely unreal, frankly. A re-release sells as many tickets as a decent-sized blockbuster. Or in other words, ANH: SE significantly outsold Spectre LOL. That's kind of an ouch. :P

I'm not sure of the likelihood in today's market of any re-release topping ANH's pure dollars, let alone its adjusted take. I mean, many have tried, like Titanic 3D, and they haven't been even marginally close. 

One has to wonder, just throwing it out there, if a 50th anniversary (or something) re-release of ANH to premium theaters, maybe a 3D version (it was in development, as we know, and they finished all three prequels -- I saw ROTS, looked great in 3D), IMAX, etc., and ANH could conceivably challenge the adjusted gross of GWTW. If it ever re-released itself to #1 adjusted, it would never be beaten, fair to say. I think that would be the ultimate success, so I'm rooting for another big ANH re-release one day. 

• Like 2

We went and saw the Revenant yesterday.  I gotta say... it'll be a close race between Leo DiCaprio and Will Smith for Best Actor.  Both movies were just awesome.  I'm glad it is doing well, financially.  Star Wars' dream of ten figures is officially over, but that shouldn't take anything away from what it did.  For it to become only the 11th movie ever to take in 100M tickets in first run... I will die happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MasterDodsen said:

We went and saw the Revenant yesterday.  I gotta say... it'll be a close race between Leo DiCaprio and Will Smith for Best Actor.  Both movies were just awesome.  I'm glad it is doing well, financially.  Star Wars' dream of ten figures is officially over, but that shouldn't take anything away from what it did.  For it to become only the 11th movie ever to take in 100M tickets in first run... I will die happy.

Will Smith won't even get nominated, Leo has this locked.

6 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

Star Wars (Special Edition)  

$259,346,500    

Adjusted for inflation, Star Wars's special edition release made $260 M

Impressive when you think about it. It was only a re-release!

That is why I am saying they should do one for this movie to get it to 1 BN.

Sure, it wont make as much as the 97 Special Edition. That film had a substantial amount of new stuff and was re-released after 2-0 years.

However, it would easily do 50 million. That would be enough for 1 billion.

7 minutes ago, RogueLeader said:

However, it would easily do 50 million. That would be enough for 1 billion.

If they time a release with an extended or special edition for one of the holiday weekends coming up, if we have one.

I think it can do $20M+ if done right for the weekend.