WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

29 minutes ago, Fake said:

Whoa..... the 44-46m figure has Thursday previews included......

More reasonable to expect would be:

FRI: 45M

SAT: 32-35M

SUN: 32-35M

So 110-115M weekend. I agree that 2.5x is achievable, since the first direct competition is 6 weeks away. That gives it around 280M.

If it can somehow reach 300M and beat "Man of Steel", that would be like the story of the decade.

Hmm, forgot about the Previews. Keeping those aside the calculations would become -

Previews - 12

Fri - 35

Sat - 38

Sun - 40

OW - 125m

Monday - 14m

4 day - 140m

Total gross 285-310

I think a big factor in the overperformance is an underestimation of the character's popularity to begin with. I don't read superhero comic books at all and I've been waiting for a Deadpool movie for years. Between a strong presence in video games and lots of merch in places like Hot Topic, the movie was always going to outperform something virtually unknown to non-comic book readers like Kick-Ass.

That doesn't explain it outgrossing the likes of Thor, Captain America, Spider-Man, and X-Men, but still. I'd argue that the Deadpool brand was already as popular as something like Iron Man or GOTG was in the mainstream before those movies broke out and made the characters superstars.

9 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

That would be amazing if this made it to 300M Domestic.. Again, I'm just blown away by how well this opened up to, cause growing up, I never even heard of this character in the MARVEL World, unless he came later around 2000 or so??? When I was a kid, it was The F4, The AVENGERS, HULK, SPIDERMAN, BATMAN(Adam West and Burt Ward) CAPTAIN AMERICA, then as I got older, I sort of fell out of this stage and entered being outside more playing sports with the neighborhood kids.. It wasn't until 1989 when I purchased "The DARK KNIGHT RETURNS" that I really got back into BATMAN, which was the basis for the 1989 movie to... Either way, good for MARVEL in bringing awareness to this character, even R-Rated.. Makes me wonder if the R-Rating had something to do with this making what it did?? That it was the curiosity factor in what an R-Rated MARVEL movie would look like???

Definitely. This is very different from any superhero movie made so far. The main attraction is the "adult comedy" component, not the "superhero" component.

If it was a PG-13 Deadpool, it may not have opened with half of this.

1 minute ago, Fake said:

Definitely. This is very different from any superhero movie made so far. The main attraction is the "adult comedy" component, not the "superhero" component.

Well, Kick-Ass has already navigated those waters. It just didn't make very much money.

• Like 1

The only question now is......how high can Deadpool go, WW-wise?

And DOM-wise, will it be enough to beat the 2 biggest R-rated flicks like American Sniper & Passion of the Christ?

Passion of the Christ is the R-rated box office king with $370M DOM. Not sure if Deadpool will top that....but we may never know.

7 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

The only question now is......how high can Deadpool go, WW-wise?

And DOM-wise, will it be enough to beat the 2 biggest R-rated flicks like American Sniper & Passion of the Christ?

Passion of the Christ is the R-rated box office king with $370M DOM. Not sure if Deadpool will top that....but we may never know.

Nah, dont worry I dont think they'll start keeping its boxoffice numbers secret from now on, so I believe we will know by the end of the month.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Now I'm wondering if the lightbulb kicked on and someone at MARVEL will push for a PG-13 Sequel to bring in more audience??? Would a PG-13, Even a HARD PG-13 be a bad idea for a DEADPOOL Sequel???

In my opinion, Deadpool should remain R-rated.

Why fix something that ain't broken? :)

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Well, Kick-Ass has already navigated those waters. It just didn't make very much money.

Kick-Ass appealed to a very small audience, and after Kick-Ass 2 has receded from public memory. I sure forgot. :P

7 hours ago, Darth Dexter of Hoth said:

Marvel needs to get the rights back to Deadpool to do the character justice. 

Something I thought I would never say.    Fox should keep Deadpool.    Not sure Disney would make an R rated DP movie.

7 hours ago, CJohn said:

I feel exactly the same way. I wish we could have live reactions from FOX right now :rofl: 

Reynolds is gonna get 25M per movie and he is gonna be the new face of X-Men that FOX so desperately wanted Tatum's Gambit to be :rofl: 

That's pretty funny.

3 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

$$$$$$$$$$

You know?? It just occurred to me.. How many of you at the theatre you attend, saw them carding people going into this movie for being an R-Rated movie??? Was that really enforced cause where I go, I don't think they enforce it has hard as there supposed to...:popcorn:

Well..... I'm from India, and theaters don't bother to prohibit anybody from seeing any film. I remember seeing some 13-14 year old kids in my screening of 300:RoE.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

The Matrix 2 kept its ow record for 13 years. That's pretty crazy.

That record which btw adjusts to 133 mill. Also crazy.

I think this opening is more impressive than the Matrix 2 opening. That was after all a highly anticipated sequel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

That would be amazing if this made it to 300M Domestic.. Again, I'm just blown away by how well this opened up to, cause growing up, I never even heard of this character in the MARVEL World, unless he came later around 2000 or so??? When I was a kid, it was The F4, The AVENGERS, HULK, SPIDERMAN, BATMAN(Adam West and Burt Ward) CAPTAIN AMERICA, then as I got older, I sort of fell out of this stage and entered being outside more playing sports with the neighborhood kids.. It wasn't until 1989 when I purchased "The DARK KNIGHT RETURNS" that I really got back into BATMAN, which was the basis for the 1989 movie to... Either way, good for MARVEL in bringing awareness to this character, even R-Rated.. Makes me wonder if the R-Rating had something to do with this making what it did?? That it was the curiosity factor in what an R-Rated MARVEL movie would look like???

Deadpool was created in 1991.