WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

I'm actually impressed by how well How to be Single is doing, I don't think I seen anything for it.

Out of next weeks releases-I've only seen stuff for Risen (unless if you count posters)

Welp, time to see if he left stove on. Jk @MrPink already spoiled.

Theater room is packed to a good size, which is great considering the cheap tuesday is for concessions, not tickets.

No families in here hallelujah, and its heavily white: theres only 4 non-white people (dont start shit BKB, i always give a race breakdown). Mix of nerds an regular towns folk. 

Ps I had two friends over the weekend ask me if i was seeing it, and two girls in the office today said they really wanna go. My brother on the other hand hasnt hear anything about DP, which I find hard to believe. 

Welp see you in a few.

Jesus, pretty sure it's in no way unfair or difficult to understand why The Avengers would be considered a sequel and Deadpool or Guardians wouldn't be, unless you have some strange inclination to bend semantics in the favor of The Avengers. One movie had its entire leading cast starring in their own movies, all of which came directly before The Avengers in the films' timeline. Additionally, the entire supporting cast and the villain had all been featured in at least one of those five movies. The film's entire appeal was that it was a sequel to four different blockbuster movies at once. 

The other movie being discussed features one minor character (who's been rebooted with a new actor and appearance) whose most prominent and recent appearance was a bit role in a movie that's ten years old. The only other argument to possibly be made is that the character Wade Wilson appeared in Wolverine, but again, it was an unrecognizably different version of the character, with a different, now non-canon backstory, and never appeared once as the Deadpool character. 

• Like 3

Zootopia will be the film that replaces Mr. Pool as I said a while back.

Out of upcoming releases:
Next week: I see Risen with a 25M OW, as for the other 2, no clue where they will be.

2/28: Unless if Gods of Egypt somehow has a 50M OW, Deadpool will remain at number one.

I got the weirdest trailer with Deadpool today. It was some The Purge parody starring Mike Epps that looked like it could pass for A Haunted House 3. No Batman V. Superman, Civil War, Apocalypse, or Suicide Squad. Just this, Neighbors 2, and Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates.

4 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

I got the weirdest trailer with Deadpool today. It was some The Purge parody starring Mike Epps that looked like it could pass for A Haunted House 3. No Batman V. Superman, Civil War, Apocalypse, or Suicide Squad. Just this, Neighbors 2, and Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates.

Makes sense, honestly. The people watching Deadpool are probably going to be watching all those superhero movies anyway, they don't need to be marketed to. Whereas if you take an unknown film and show it to a huge audience, it might have increased ticket sales when it releases. :) 

The 1 minute long Eddie the Eagle trailer that played before Deadpool (which only highlighted Matthew Vaughn's involvement by showing clips of the two stars from his previous movies with Fox followed by a clip of Taron Egerton falling during a ski-jump attempt) is the most random and pandering thing ever lol. I guess that's one way to try getting an audience of rowdy comic book and action geeks interested in an inspirational sports movie.

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

How stupid do the handful of theaters feel who were contracted to show Zoolander over Deadpool? Yikes.

Again, these movies are prime examples of how to succeed and how to fail in getting audiences excited for a "niche" title that happened to occur on the same weekend (even without Deadpool, I doubt Zoolander 2 would've done much better).

• Like 1

#1 opening by a Fox film EVER. Which by itself blew my mind. But then I realized Fox was the studio which distributed a small franchise called Star Wars before it was bought by Disney.

Then I went...

giphy.gif

(But in a good way)

Among trailers playing before movies the ones for Concussion were pretty strange. Eddie the Eagle is obvious and the Christian films were understandable. But 13 Hours, Ride Along 2, and Central Intelligence? Really?

Also, Dirty Grandpa before The Revenant.

Edited by department store basement

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Again, these movies are prime examples of how to succeed and how to fail in getting audiences excited for a "niche" title that happened to occur on the same weekend (even without Deadpool, I doubt Zoolander 2 would've done much better).

It's amazing to me how small the theater count difference was between the 3 main openers this weekend. I get How to Be Single due to Valentine's Day (3,394) but only 164 difference between Deadpool & Zoolander shows there were plenty of screw ups (3,558 vs 3,394) in anticipating demand. Easier to judge in hindsight as usual but still funny.