Olive

Presales Tracking Thread(Maoyan, Taopiaopiao etc)

23 minutes ago, rishijoesanu said:

So, a $100M-$110M is the current consensus?

More like $85m + untill we get a better grasp on the WoM.

Not that it will open that low but in china wom is everything so we can't say $95m - $105m for sure because if the reaction is bad it won't get that high. $85m however is pretty locked. 

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, UserHN said:

Do you monitor only the Chinese BO or do you also take a glimpse of what's happening in other international markets? Just curious 😊.

I do the derby for domestic. Otherwise, just CBO because its interesting with new records being set, great runs that start small, and there is available data to analyze and project😎

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, POTUS 2020 said:

I do the derby for domestic. Otherwise, just CBO because its interesting with new records being set, great runs that start small, and there is available data to analyze and project😎

Honestly South Korea is also a pretty fun market to track, you have real time ps tracking. And daily grosses at 12pm or 00am. I doesn't have realtime tickets sold on the days self but we do get reports for milestones like 1 - 2 -3 -4m admission. It's not as big a China but still it has $80m grossing movies 1-3 times a year. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Honestly South Korea is also a pretty fun market to track, you have real time ps tracking. And daily grosses at 12pm or 00am. I doesn't have realtime tickets sold on the days self but we do get reports for milestones like 1 - 2 -3 -4m admission. It's not as big a China but still it has $80m grossing movies 1-3 times a year. 

how is the hype there could it hit 40-50 mill ? ( i mean total not ow)

Edited by john2000
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

how is the hype there could it hit 40-50 mill ?

It has the biggest ps's for any Solo marvel movie. (Civil war isn't counted as solo movie btw)

Opening is looking like 3.4m admission (about $26.5m) and the total (it doesn't have that much competition, not like antman) if received well could be 2.5 times OW so $66m but Let's say $52m- $58m is more likely. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, movieboner said:

Any chance of Captain Marvel China OW>US OW?

Given how US is currently tracking with Fandango sales, I'd say China Total < US OW is more likely than China OW > US OW. 

China looking like $100m+, US looking like $150m+.

If US approaches $200m (BIG IF) then CN Total < US OW is plausible given shortness of legs in China.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, movieboner said:

Any chance of Captain Marvel China OW>US OW?

If China explodes with a shocking 9.6 Maoyan and like a 130M OW, while it get a shock 55% RT US, last week US presales crater, and/or it turns out to be unprecedentedly frontloaded for an MCU Solo then this is theoretically possible. I’d pit it at well under 1%.     

I agree with Feasby that US OW over China total is more plausible, though I think I’d put that at <3%.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

If China explodes with a shocking 9.6 Maoyan and like a 130M OW, while it get a shock 55% RT US, last week US presales crater, and/or it turns out to be unprecedentedly frontloaded for an MCU Solo then this is theoretically possible. I’d pit it at well under 1%.     

I agree with Feasby that US OW over China total is more plausible, though I think I’d put that at <3%.

Better explained than I did. Rereading my answer I realise I fail to mention the fact that both cases presented are extreme outliers, and the US OW > CN Total is more likely than CN OW > US OW, but both are still incredibly unlikely.

I'd put the chances at the moment at probably 1%, 94% and 5% personally. (In order of CN > US, middleground and US > CN Total)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

daydream. 9.0 will be incredible for CM.

• Like 3

Pre-sales today have added ¥1.3mn in same time as it added ¥1.1mn yesterday. That's roughly 20% up.

For comps, Venom did ¥6.91mn on Tuesday and Civil War did ¥9.1mn.

If that +20% holds, will have ¥7.9mn Tuesday, though I expect it to increase, so we could see ¥8.75-9.25mn IMO.

• Like 1

If, feminism worked for the film. I won't be surprised with 9.2 plus.

Currently over 60% of tickets sold are male and that should go toward 50% on opening day IMO as Women's day will be there and there we could see a jump in walk-ins. 

From the Indian films I tracked, I have noticed that films having more female Audience had better legs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Pre-sales today have added ¥1.3mn in same time as it added ¥1.1mn yesterday. That's roughly 20% up.

For comps, Venom did ¥6.91mn on Tuesday and Civil War did ¥9.1mn.

If that +20% holds, will have ¥7.9mn Tuesday, though I expect it to increase, so we could see ¥8.75-9.25mn IMO.

Sunday after midnight sales (adds to Mon total) were a tad stronger than Mon after midnight (adds to Tues total) which skews things slightly. I’ve got:  

yesterday

7-10 +27

10-11 +44   

Today

7-10 +44

10-11  +62    

I think gains will pace around +40-50% from yesterday, leading to about +9/10 midnight.   

Looking for benchmarks of about 14:00 24.2, 17:30 26.3, 30.2 midnight.    

Spoiler
7:00 21.37
8:00 21.41
8:33 21.445
9:02 21.56
9:32  21.66
10:03 21.81  
10:30 22.02
11:02  22.43
11:30  22.74
12:02 23.02
12:30  Frozen
13:00  23.31
13:32  23.80
14:00  Frozen
14:12  24.17
14:30 Frozen 
15:30  24.88
16:00  25.13
16:30  25.46
17:00  25.67
17:30  26.15  

14:00 update: Maoyan has been a little jerkier than usual today, at least for me. But we’re pretty much right on track with my benchmark above, so no change to estimate.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Expecting

2 Days Out    ¥30.50
1 Day Out    ¥44.00
Final    ¥77.00

Midnight ¥15mn

Opening Day ¥260mn

Saturday ¥280mn

Sunday ¥220mn

Total ¥775mn

What happens if you prediction free fall 

4 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

If, feminism worked for the film. I won't be surprised with 9.2 plus.

Currently over 60% of tickets sold are male and that should go toward 50% on opening day IMO as Women's day will be there and there we could see a jump in walk-ins. 

From the Indian films I tracked, I have noticed that films having more female Audience had better legs.

Females definitely have better legs.

Tracking 31m for today. It finally reached 50% of shows at 83k.  A lot of shows still to be listed, could be 50%+ tomorrow and 80%+ on thur. I think it clears 80m. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

18 minutes ago, POTUS 2020 said:

Females definitely have better legs.

Tracking 31m for today. It finally reached 50% of shows at 83k.  A lot of shows still to be listed, could be 50%+ tomorrow and 80%+ on thur. I think it clears 80m. 

Is your prediction for China OW increasing?

I think I’ll go milder with 30mn, but it’s been a bit of an annoying unevenly stop-and-start day so I’m not sure if the display is even caught up to the reality of tickets sold as I go to bed right now.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1