CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

19 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Anyone want to take a shot at adjusting TDK midnights with much larger IMAX share + 3D + showings actually before 12:01am? Probably pretty close to BvS.

The earlier start really only has a significant effect if a movie has such insane demand that there's a large spillover into early AM shows. In most cases, theaters still give the same number of shows, they just start earlier and stagger them every half hour or so instead of stacking them all at 12:01am.

Using my LA tracking, at least -- for example, TDKR started at midnight and had 611 showtimes. Many of those started at 1am, 2am, and even all the way up to 5:30am. BVS started at 6pm and had 591 showtimes. Though it had a few that started after midnight (usually IMAX or PLF screens, trying to squeeze one additional showtime into the evening), most of them were pre-midnight.

6 minutes ago, #ED said:

It's a good number. The same people who have been ragging on the movie this entire thread are saying it's not. 

Nothing new. 

It s not a good number, it s a great, excellent number.

BUT

We re talking about Batman vs Superman Featuring Wonder Woman AKA one of the most talked about fanboy and fangirl and evan casual moviegoer's wet dream people have been fantasized about not for years, but for generations featuring the 3 most iconic superheroes in the world not named Spiderman.

Make me a list of movies that have a better pedigree as far prestige and brand recognition.

I don't see any but feel free to chime in.

In fact we just lived in 4 months the realease of two of these long awaited dream projects fanboys and GA have been waiting for a long time : the direct sequel to the most beloved american franchise of all time and this, Batman vs Superman, a movie kids, some are now grandpas, have been dreaming about for the last 70+ years.

It s not a good number, it s a great, excellent number...

• Like 1

That "Sad Ben Affleck" video is really the greatest thing ever. He's looked so glum throughout this entire promo tour. But the bad reviews for this are not even close to the worst thing that's happened to him within the past year, let alone his entire career.

The only people massively disappointed by this number are the ones who expected BvS to beat TA and JW (or TFA lol) for the opening weekend. Around $170 million is a good opening (if it opens with that) and it wouldn't have been much higher even if the movie had been better received critically. I don't think it would've grossed $200 million even with 90% certified fresh and 90% audience rating. 

• Like 1

Just spent half an hour reading the last 25 pages of this thread. Screw all of you who think this is a bad/meh opening. You got @Telemachos who liked it, you got nearly 30M in previews despite a RT score of nearly the same number. You got DAJK's theatre's general manager in a fantastic mood because of upcoming business.

Enough. Please. :rotfl:

• Like 3

$2.3M below (92.3% of) my prediction of $30M...

Scaling from that number...

$30M -> $27.7M Thu previews

$60M -> $55.4M True Fri

$90M -> $83.1M Fri total

$50M -> $46.17M (-15.7%) Sat

$40M -> $36.93M (-20%) Sun

$180 -> $166.2M OW

---------------------------------------

But assuming same true Friday as above but applying F7 drops...

$27.7M Thu previews

$55.4M True Fri

$83.1M Fri total

$50M (-9.7%) Sat

$35.6M (-28.9%) Sun

$169.7M OW

-----------------------------------------

Weekend isnt over yet, but this could have gone so much higher with more positive RT and WOM I think. When i checked on Monday, the combined search terms for supes and bats ("Superman", "Super-man", " Super man", "Batman v Superman", etc) were trending way higher in the last 30-90 days on U.S.-only googletrends than all search terms i could think of for Cap, Ironman, Avengers, + Spider-man combined (Spidey's was Marvel's highest BTW by a large margin). But then again that's a really a big what if, on top of just the one metric lol

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'm honestly surprised by all the vitriol and hate.

You knew this was coming Tele.

Marvel vs DC is the biggest war going on nowadays. This movie is the peak of DC and the start of their mega Universe. Plus people love to see other people losing their jobs and hope for the worst. 

• Like 3