CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

2 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Just saw TFA dropped 16% this weekend.

Is it normal for a movie this far in its run to drop this low?

It only lost 16 theaters so I'm guessing dollar theaters made up.

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Doesn't the audience decide the marketplace?

Yes and no. The studios pick what they will make them the most money, but that's not quite the same thing. The audience can vote with their dollars, depending on availability of movies that are made, of course.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The BOT staff tends not to ban often. Maybe something like one every couple months or so. However, since Wednesday, we've given out six bans (of varying lengths).

:sarah: 

Where's the list? LOL

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Yes and no. The studios pick what they will make them the most money, but that's not quite the same thing. The audience can vote with their dollars, depending on availability of movies that are made, of course.

But the franchise age we are living was decided by the audience, not the other way around.

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

So you mash up a repeat of the nameless alien mook army from Avengers 1 with a half-baked underdeveloped Joker subplot that doesn't really amount to anything other than a BS twist inserted simply to have a BS twist.

I thought firing Snyder would stop people from overlooking obvious plot details???

Luthor and Joker make a deal. Luthor knows Batman will be leader of JL so he has Joker take out Batman. In return, Joker gets money or something. I'd have a baller seen where Joker destroy his "payment" and reveals his true satisfaction is merely knowing he has defeated the batman. Nothing underdeveloped about the Joker vs. Batman plot, as stated previously, there would be an entire film dedicated to the climactic build up. It would be the best twist since I AM YOUR FATHER no doubt, one that would rock both Batman and audiences to the very core...creating the opportunity for Superman to inspire Batman, just as he inspires everybody. No nameless alien army, either. Avengers had some air carriage shit. This would straight up Independence Day "Oh shit' stuff. The aliens would be lead a cooler,less bitchy version of Kylo Ren who reports DARKSEID.

T'wood be TREMENDOUS. BEYOND legendary.

Edited by excel1

The results are a devastating rebuke to the power of mainstream American critics at a time when many newspapers have already outsourced their reviews to wire services and the rise of bloggers has de-professionalized the practice of assessing a film’s attributes and demerits. In an age of declining newspaper and magazine subscriptions, getting a strong notice from a major reviewer may help smaller films like “Spotlight” or “Brooklyn” find success, but it does little for big-budget, special effects-driven spectacles. Featuring iconic characters like Batman, Bond or Iron Man, they arrive with what studios like to call “pre-awareness.

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/batman-v-superman-reviews-critics-box-office-1201740022/#respond

From Variety 

Slight backlash to the critical drubbing?

• Like 2

I think in the eyes of many, the value of critics reviews went down with this weekend. 29% is a fucking joke. Film is clearly a 70%ish film.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I can confirm that. It's at my local dollar theater this weekend.

Not surprised. The movie was playing at the theater I frequent until this weekend, and said theater has a habit of getting rid of things that when they come out at home (just recently they showed Room and The Big Short up until the days that they came out on DVD and then dropped them completely).

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

[cut]

Zootopia fell right on where I saw it coming, on the other hand. And yeah, I think we can admit by now that this thing is kind of a monster. Despite having the steepest drop so far, it still avoided a 40% spike and still came at over 23M. Unreal. 300M is gonna happen at this point, I have to assume. Doesn't have a lot of time to do it cleanly since The Jungle Book is looming, but I think it can pull it off eventually. And good ol' Mr. Pool also not losing all of its composure at a 5M result. Btw, Deadpool has crossed 745M WW! R-rated record is DOWN, baby!!!

[cut]

I'm fully expecting Zootopia's numbers to be adjusted upwards on Monday. Also, I wouldn't worry about the competition, because it has two weekends before The Jungle Book opens. And it might make bank even after that.

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I think in the eyes of many, the value of critics reviews went down with this weekend. 29% is a fucking joke. Film is clearly a 70%ish film.

Bro, most people in the general audience don't even care about critic reviews.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Lex Jr was pretty good.

Also I've got a feeling BvS will make in total something close to AoU, purely because of international cash.

The themes for Bats, WW, LL, and Supes are PERFECTION

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It's actually nine people since Wednesday. :wacko: Three of them have already been reinstated, though.

Lengendary Kal and BKB8 the sws loonie are both banned?  Crazy.

I'm pretty amazed by the success of BvS Soundtrack
Itunes:

Album: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

iTunes:
#1 Ecuador (NE)(NE)
#1 Guatemala (+190)(+133)
#1 Taiwan (=)(+2)
#2 Hong Kong (+2)(+6)
#3 Chile (=)(+7)
#3 Malaysia (=)(+1)
#5 India (=)(=)
#5 Singapore (=)(-2)