CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

5 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Something just popped into my head...what did you think of that Kevin Smith story about the WB exec who wanted all those crazy things for the Superman movie Smith was writing?  (giant spider, no flying, no costume)    From that story it seems there are actual bad execs working in Hollywood who are behind some of these ideas.

Of course there are execs with bad creative ideas. And if they're in a position of power there's nothing you -- the filmmaker -- can do. Part of the reason seasoned, veteran screenwriters and directors get paid so well (and keep getting gigs) is their ability to navigate all the many goals and ideas of the people in power and somehow keep them somewhat constrained and moving in one direction. 

But make no mistake, if the main dude wants a movie where the hero's gonna fight a giant spider, he's gonna fight a giant spider. 

• Like 4

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Of course there are execs with bad creative ideas. And if they're in a position of power there's nothing you -- the filmmaker -- can do. Part of the reason seasoned, veteran screenwriters and directors get paid so well (and keep getting gigs) is their ability to navigate all the many goals and ideas of the people in power and somehow keep them somewhat constrained and moving in one direction. 

But make no mistake, if the main dude wants a movie where the hero's gonna fight a giant spider, he's gonna fight a giant spider. 

Yeah. Also the execs with bad creative ideas think they are good creative ideas. They too want to make good films.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Yeah. Also the execs with bad creative ideas think they are good creative ideas. They too want to make good films.

Nobody knows what ideas are good or bad.

45 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

If Deadpool becomes the highest grossing superhero flick of 2016 thats awesome and well deserved.   I was really late to seeing it because I was initially wary of seeing yet another cookie cutter CBM(I think the the last one I saw was was GOTG) but some friends convinced me to see it.   It was fresh, violent, actually funny, and fourth wall breaking awesomeness.

It won't be the first, but a very worthy second. One of the most fun and rewarding films I've ever seen. 

• Community Manager
Just now, The Futurist said:

Nobody knows what ideas are good or bad.

Not true? It can be hard sometimes to tell which ideas are good on paper and which ideas are good to execute but...people do sometimes know when they are following bad ideas. They just don't have the power to stop it.

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Not true? It can be hard sometimes to tell which ideas are good on paper and which ideas are good to execute but...people do sometimes know when they are following bad ideas. They just don't have the power to stop it.

Donald Trump? :jeb!:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Deadline projecting a $375M DOM total and $925M WW. Exhibitors projecting a -65% decline on 2nd weekend

http://deadline.com/2016/03/batman-v-superman-opening-weekend-box-office-records-1201726300/

Their numbers don't add up. 65% decline doesnt equal to $75M but rather $58M. Sometimes I wonder who writes these articles for Deadline. 

16 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

And sometimes fighting a giant spider just works.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Their numbers don't add up. 65% decline doesnt equal to $75M but rather $58M. Sometimes I wonder who writes these articles for Deadline. 

75M would equal 55% drop. 

Just now, SWXII said:

That seems like it would be a problem. :sadben:

(the man in the Hawaiian shirt knows) 

CARS 2 would say otherwise. 

Experienced people can have a good guess about what'll work, and what audiences will like, but no one knows for sure (especially when it comes to execution). 

35 minutes ago, Nova said:

And that $375m domestic is ridiculously optimistic. Next Monday they might be singing a completely different tune. 

4 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

And that $375m domestic is ridiculously optimistic. Next Monday they might be singing a completely different tune. 

It's a 2.25 multiplier. That's completely realistic.