CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nada.

April looks pretty weak in terms of appealing product but I suppose that isn't a surprise (The Jungle Book and Everybody Wants Some are the only movies that scream "must see" for me, while I'll probably see The Boss if we can fit it into our schedule just because I would watch Melissa McCarthy in anything). But we don't really have the money for movies now so I can't say I'm complaining.

I'll see BVS again and yes, only JUNGLE BOOK. CA: CIVIL WAR opens here on the 27th, though. Yay!

iJack, how is just talking with you "singling you out"?

I'm not particularly interested in discussing the movie, because it is what it is. Some people love it, some people hate it, some are in the middle. I feel like I've read hundred pages of everyone's opinions so it seems like a dead-end to me. Your hatred and frustration is just as valuable (and/or valueless) as Napoleon's blind worship, and my own two cents about it is just as worthwhile (or worthless).

In terms of talking about what Warners should do, I think it's beyond pointless. Practically everything I've read here is some sort of fantasy that isn't based on how anything actually works in Hollywood. And even if cogent, accurate, and knowledgeable posts were being made, none of us have the slightest damn idea how and why all the various creative decisions were made. You don't, I don't, no one does. All these threads, all these posts, are simply a projection of each person's desires and thoughts about what they think they'd love to see on screen. But it's a fantasy.

This whole collective discussion is basically just an outlet for all the various fans to move through the five stages of grief. (With occasional counter-rants by those who are in the stages of bliss). And if it helps you with that, then great. But let's not fool each other that we have any sort of meaningful insight into the actual process of making these things. 

You're right, you are not the only one talking about these things. You're simply one of the most visible. And if I put more effort and interest into reading all the other BVS threads, I'd probably post something along similar lines there. 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Rth said:

wf03.jpg?w=500&h=701

That's a good number considering it's above Fast 7 drop, with that said...

2 hours ago, nilephelan said:

- Monday numbers for BvS......

giphy.gif

...why the Korbinite said this? (If people don't get why I'm calling nilephelan Korbinite, Google it. :P) Both seem to have access to real data, has the West Coast shown up to make the numbers look good or was the worthy champion of Korbin exaggerating? Is the Asgardian right?

Is this the Monday's battle of the Monday's box office numbers of the century? :jeb!:

2 minutes ago, jedieb said:

I completely ignored FF7 when it was released. Was it released during Spring Breaks? Most of the school districts around me are off. I have no idea if FF7 had that kind of help. 

Furious 7 had Spring Break, but no idea how many schools were out similar to BvS (apparently NYC Spring Break isn't till 2 weeks from now). The first week drops of Furious 7 thanks to Spring Break had led to a lot of people here expecting almost 380M+ for it initially.

1 hour ago, SWXII said:

While we are waiting I highly recommend the YouTube video above. I see layers in this movie beyond even this. 

And history will be kind to this film. Hope the video goes viral.

I think we shouldn't post that youtube clip in this thread, it may contain spoiler 

I will post it in the BvS spoiler thread 

26 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

That's a good number considering it's above Fast 7 drop, with that said...

...why the Korbinite said this? (If people don't get why I'm calling nilephelan Korbinite, Google it. :P) Both seem to have access to real data, has the West Coast shown up to make the numbers look good or was the worthy champion of Korbin exaggerating? Is the Asgardian right?

Is this the Monday's battle of the Monday's box office numbers of the century? :jeb!:

I posted they weren't great (I was thinking it might be closer to $14m), not a disaster.  $15m is not really great on any level.  

Monday was still a holiday for a decent amount of schools and some are on Spring Break.  Barely above Furious 7.  $4m below Deadpool.  Yes, I know that was a bigger holiday, but it is more of a kid based holiday and that was an R rated movie.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I posted they weren't great (I was thinking it might be closer to $14m), not a disaster.  $15m is not really great on any level.  

Monday was still a holiday for a decent amount of schools and some are on Spring Break.  Barely above Furious 7.  $4m below Deadpool.  Yes, I know that was a bigger holiday, but it is more of a kid based holiday and that was an R rated movie.  

Nah, don't go BvS on me, BATTLE the Asgardian!!!! I've even made you a poster on Monday thread, it's the battle of the Monday's box office of the century, give us an estimate there where you think it's going. Whoever gets it right tomorrow wins this round. 

(I'm joking btw folks)

2 hours ago, Heat Vision said:

Best and worst case scenario?

I'll see your :sadben:and raise you another :sadben:

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Reading comprehension skills today.

Lol reading comprehension not quite kicking in

9 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Some wisdom :

- Katniss is still the Queen of March, she created the March box office spot and she still rules it.

With 170m OW, I had doubts. With  166m , I don't have them anymore.

A humble heroine with a bow trumps Batman-Superman and Wonder Woman.

When will your faves ?

- 400m Dom is probably dead and with a meh Chinese performance , 1B WW is probably dead too.

- Add to the humiliation that BvS doesn't have any competition (big blockbuster) in the next two weeks, Avengers was able to kill both Dark Shadows and Battleship.

- Whatever good will you think there is for BvS, it is purely fanboy driven and the movie is definitely not the giant crowd pleaser they hoped for.

Tepid word of mouth is gonna act like an insidious poison on this.

- DC has yet to become a brand, they still don't have that movie that can establish it. And even if Suicide Squad is a giant winner, a great film with great box office, the fact that it is not really connected to the Justice League narrative is a problem.

- Warner has nobody to blame for this but themselves. They are after Avengers money.

MOS didn't quite work ? Scrap MOS 2 and call Batman and Wonder Woman to the rescue, that will do it. Audiences are dumb, give them a movie filled with superheroes and they will eat it up.

Not.

- BvS will be the the peak of the current DCEU for a long time. When you can't create goodwill (Batman) with your golden goose, you re in trouble.

- The higher ups at Warner know what s up. The two cameos appearances of Aquaman and Cyborg in BvS were a laughing riot. Grim Dark overdose is coming to an end. Let s have a laugh with Aquaman and Cyborg. Or is it at ?

:shades::shades:

Best post in this thread . This is the exact truth no matter how much damage control is happening . Warner should have been more patient , have MOS2 , new batman and WW solo movies, at the very least, and them go straight to a JL movie without this versus crap . The set up that makes batman fight superman is stupid . Compare this to how masterfully marvel has handled its heroes and how great the set up for civil war is and it b

ecomes obvious that Warner gives zero shit about DC . Even though I am a marvel fan I actually want both CB companies to have great movie universes , hell I hope universal's planned classic monsters' shared universe turns out to be great . DC fans should be asking for more from Warner instead of trying to find excuses .

Have a proper lex Luthor WITH A MOTIVE FOR HIS ACTIONS THAT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE HE ISNT THE FUCKING JOKER , scrap all the batman, WW stuff and BvS could have been a fantastic MoS 2 .

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/how-superhero-movies-became-too-big-to-fail-20160328

As the genre continues to expand at an exponential rate, these films will only push harder against the narrow confines of what's possible for them. Audiences will begin to feel the walls closing in with every new installment, and even hardcore fans will be pulling at their collars. With Civil War right around the corner, 2016 is shaping up to be the year that we're forced to amend one of the most persistent fallacies about our current blockbuster landscape: Superhero movies aren't killing the film business. The film business is killing superhero movies.

• Like 1