WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates : BVS 52.39M | Zootopia 20M | Wedding 11.13M | God's Not Dead 8.1M | Sun Rth - Bvs 12 or 14.2, Zoo 5.3, MBFGW2 2.8, GND2 2

3 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Dude. Under $300m is possible if this goes under $50m this weekend. Literally under $300m is possible. Hell under MoS. That's how insane this is. It's literally sinking. 

:stop:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Subzero said:

Don't go there, I have been waiting all of my life for a JL movie ... good or bad I'll take it.

Why would you want a bad Snyder directed JL movie when if they delay it you may get a good movie with a competent director?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, iJackSparrow said:

Dude. Under $300m is possible if this goes under $50m this weekend. Literally under $300m is possible. Hell under MoS. That's how insane this is. It's literally sinking. 

nah - even with a 48-49m gross this weekend it will get the extra $40m it needs to hit 300m. Would be interesting to see if it can

316,908,025 - that is the gross it needs to beat in order to NOT be the Zack Snyder film with the smallest legs (Currently Sucker Punch by a hair over Watchman.) If it goes atomic that will be the number to watch for, but I still think it crosses it fairly easy.

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Is Justice League really that far in production? If not I can see WB stalling it and maybe focusing on a Ben Affleck Batman film or two first 

It didn't start yet. And I think it's just a matter of making it official at this point. 

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Is Justice League really that far in production? If not I can see WB stalling it and maybe focusing on a Ben Affleck Batman film or two first 

It's still in pre production but they're supposed to start filming in less than two weeks.  Very short time period to pause it - but then WB pulled the plug on Miller's JL a few days before filming was to begin.

Come on, even with 50m it will be at ~260m after this weekend. Can we not bring up the sub-300m non-sense no matter how gleeful you are?

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

suppose to start shooting in a week or two, they could delay it to Summer 2018, but I doubt they fit a Batman film in between

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

I think the Boss would have done just as well in the Huntsman spot but Huntsman would have done a bit more opening next week.

Really the studios really fell down here.  Even f BvS was performing better there's no reason they made May so cramped and left half of April almost barren.

That's been the case with the second half of April since forever. It's all a build-up to the start of summer. I mean, just look at the movies opening the weekend before Captain America.

Just now, SoSaysI said:

Why would you want a bad Snyder directed JL movie when if they delay it you may get a good movie with a competent director?

It's a matter of taste and preferences. I have no issues with his directing or Superman/Batman that he brought to the screen, In fact I enjoyed it.

Sub $300M is ridiculous. Sub Spider-Man 3, though, that's entirely possible if Friday is indeed around $15M. 

WB is gonna have to figure out something quick. International holds appear to be quite bad too, so it's indeed possible it'll miss $900M WW, and heads will fucking roll if that happens.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

That's been the case with the second half of April since forever. It's all a build-up to the start of summer. I mean, just look at the movies opening the weekend before Captain America.

Yeah, to be frank if I was a Studio and I saw that Easter Weekend had BvS with 2 weeks and then Jungle Book and 2 more weeks and then Captain America, I wouldn't be putting my choicest offerings forward either. While I may not like the April schedule, I totally get why the studios do it (although they end up leaving money on the table every damn time they overbook the may-june corridor)

Just now, a2knet said:

:stop:

I'm not joking. Under $50m PLUS drops that keep going steep, PLUS losing theaters to Jungle Book could make this thing barely crawl $300m. I'm not thinking straight and I need to run estimates again but holy shit. Barely over $300m? Under $325m? Under $340m? If Fast 7 with a $59,5m second weekend did $354m dom, where do you think this is going? $15.5m would place this like maybe below $48m. Alright I'm going to smoke. 

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

nah - even with a 48-49m gross this weekend it will get the extra $40m it needs to hit 300m. Would be interesting to see if it can

316,908,025 - that is the gross it needs to beat in order to NOT be the Zack Snyder film with the smallest legs (Currently Sucker Punch by a hair over Watchman.) If it goes atomic that will be the number to watch for, but I still think it crosses it fairly easy.

Sucker Punch lost over 40% of it's theaters in it's 3rd w/e and then another 2/3rd a w/e later.  That won't happen to BvS, too little competition and it's numbers are of course higher.

• Like 1

15m pretty much guarantees that BvS doesn't hit 50m. 70%+ drop. That is, if it follows Furious 7.

On the bright side that Zootopia number is great! Looking at 18m or so, about a 25% drop. Top 10 5th weekends ever unadjusted.

Just now, a2knet said:

@Rth and folks who have knowledge in the area, were the matinees that abnormally strong compared to the night shows? Is that why everyone had it higher initially?

I'm not sure if I posted it here, but a big portion of schools (30% K-12 and 9% colleges per Deadline) were off this Friday, so matinees may indeed have been stronger than expected due to that.

• Like 1