WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates : BVS 52.39M | Zootopia 20M | Wedding 11.13M | God's Not Dead 8.1M | Sun Rth - Bvs 12 or 14.2, Zoo 5.3, MBFGW2 2.8, GND2 2

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

The lowest level employee is always the most expendable is the general point. It's not any different in sports, business or the arts, doesn't mean rooting against success is somehow immoral. You may not personally like when others do that in whatever circumstance & that's your right.

No one is saying it's immoral. But you are right, I don't like rooting against people. That's why you don't see me rooting against films, even ones I don't like, pretty much ever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I think, is a little extreme because you're talking about a person's life outside the sport. 

And a grip working on a movie isn't someone's life either? 

I mean, root for whatever movie or project or team you want. Just have a little perspective, guys.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

And I'm not really a fan of them rooting for that either. But the difference here (possibly) is timing. If a month is months from shooting and then gets pulled, it's a lot easier for almost everyone to get other work. Yanking a project with little or no time before production starts is brutal on everyone.

@Jonwo's example of MONEYBALL is the only other example I can think of, off the top of my head.

The Lone Ranger?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

You are, though. Which is fine, root for whatever you want.

In terms of the second part of your post, maybe. And in the long term, probably (though nothing is certain). But shit, man, it's still an ugly thing to root for.

Sucks to be them! They should've picked a better project to work on, huh?

I agree with you, mostly. But from an audience standpoint, I want the best possible film that can be made, not some crap. And if that means we get a better product from a delayed film, well why wouldn't I root for it? FWIW, I don't care, if WB keeps the train on the track and it's bad that's fine too, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna spend my money on it.

• Like 1

So everyone involved in Justice League won't earn any money this year if production is cancelled?

If that's the case then I agree it would be tragic.

But just to be clear, don't most flops only impact the higher ups since the sequels haven't been green lit yet?

Well if they don't make some major changes now, JL1 will send the DCEU down in flames regardless. Then people will be looking for new jobs anyway. It's only delaying the inevitable. 

JL won't have the same kind of opening to save it like this did, so if will have to survive based on WOM. I have no reason to think things will improve much keeping the same people in place.

They have already blown their load putting the trinity together on screen for the first time, and most people don't care that much about the other JL characters. I don't know how JL will do anything other than drop. 

Edited by Magic

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

And a grip working on a movie isn't someone's life either? 

I mean, root for whatever movie or project or team you want. Just have a little perspective, guys.

I'm talking about their life outside the sport in their ability to function physically on a daily basis. In contrast when someone loses their job because something didn't preform up to par is completely different than someone losing their job because they've been physically hurt. It's like when a fan roots for a coaching staff to get fired...and it happens all the time. I'm not saying it's right but you don't have people comparing the cheering of injury to the cheering of a coaching staff getting fired. I'll admit I don't like Snyder and I don't want him to direct the JL but I'm not here rooting for him to be removed. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

I think we deeply underestimated general audiences. We always assume the general audience to be a mindless mob who don't care for reviews or don't know what imdb is. 

An audience for this film is far less casual audience then for TF or JW films overall .

Audiences for comic book movies are more likely to be more knowledgeable of things like a rotten tomato score or who Zack Synder is and Internet negativity around the film.

Meaning...the fact this was a comic book movie is likely way it suffered such a harsh 2nd weekend drop then if it was let's say a Jurassic world sequel.

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So everyone involved in Justice League won't earn any money this year if production is cancelled?

It will be hard for them to find another job. They will be unemployed for a big part of the time they were meant to be working in JL. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

But just to be clear, don't most flops only impact the higher ups since the sequels haven't been green lit yet?

Exactly! Who's to say Susie Q Public would be brought back in her previous role anyway?

audiences should not be the ones worrying about the finances in a film, and who gets paid what. they should care about the quality of the product. if they believe zack snyder will make another terrible movie then absolutely they should be able to say that they think he should get booted from justice league. not that it's gonna happen but whatevs.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

2014: The 100 Ft Journey 

2015: The Woman in Gold 

2016: Eye in the Sky 

3 leading roles in 3 box office hits in a row 

article-2702139-0C02824900000578-572_634

Sexy woman. Isn't she like 60?

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, MARTHA!!!!!!!!! said:

audiences should not be the ones worrying about the finances in a film, and who gets paid what. they should care about the quality of the product. if they believe zack snyder will make another terrible movie then absolutely they should be able to say that they think he should get booted from justice league. not that it's gonna happen but whatevs.

That's a great post except you made it on Box Office Theory which is pretty much built around discussing the box office yields of movies-aka the finances.

• Like 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

I'm not talking about flops or anything that's already been released, or even projects still in development that haven't been greenlit, or even projects that get pushed to a new release date when they're in production. Really, the only thing that really stands out for this (potential) case would be if WB fires Snyder and decides to retool the whole JL project... which means people who were expecting to have a job that would literally last a year or more, starting next week, would suddenly have no job with the likelihood of all immediate prospects being dim.

Maybe the sports analogy would be the owner firing the entire coaching & training staff and stadium personnel a week before the season starts.

• Like 2

Just now, John Marston said:

fire Snyder and bring in a master director like Peyton Reed or Tim Miller to direct JL

Honestly, at this point I think they need the Russo Brothers.

• Like 2

Guys I'm pretty sure you can goof on the movie. We goof on every movie. The mods are just asking you to not be a raging asshole. We've got enough people signing up here solely to act like raging assholes atm

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'm not talking about flops or anything that's already been released, or even projects still in development that haven't been greenlit, or even projects that get pushed to a new release date when they're in production. Really, the only thing that really stands out for this (potential) case would be if WB fires Snyder and decides to retool the whole JL project... which means people who were expecting to have a job that would literally last a year or more, starting next week, would suddenly have no job with the likelihood of all immediate prospects being dim.

Maybe the sports analogy would be the owner firing the entire coaching & training staff and stadium personnel a week before the season starts.

I literally just edited my post with the coaching analogy added in it. Weird. Lol 

• Like 1