WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates : BVS 52.39M | Zootopia 20M | Wedding 11.13M | God's Not Dead 8.1M | Sun Rth - Bvs 12 or 14.2, Zoo 5.3, MBFGW2 2.8, GND2 2

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Sam said:

Ooh, I would love to see a Joss Whedon's Runaways movie. 

And to add to your point, I think Joss has been screwed over by Fox too many times over for him to wanna come back or work under them in a big project. I mean, he kinda had to back then since he has little leverage, but the situation has changed for the better for him now. 

Huh? When has 20th Century Fox ever screwed Joss Whedon over? Is he like not getting royalty checks from them for Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

11 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Huh? When has 20th Century Fox ever screwed Joss Whedon over? Is he like not getting royalty checks from them for Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

He's still sour over his work on the first x-men movie getting dumped, and alien resurrection and Firefly.

He was actually offered the job on xmen 3 and turned it down.

3 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

He's still sour over his work on the first x-men movie getting dumped, and alien resurrection and Firefly.

We can also add big interference in then cancellation of Dollhouse.

6 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Did he? Though Matthew Vaughn actually signed on for X3 and then walked out because of the insane production issues that film had. And that didn't stop him from returning for First Class.

25 minutes ago, bladels said:

So much for BvS being a weekend movie :rolleyes:

"The post peak CBM era is upon us. I did everything I could". --Deadpool

Civil War will do OK. But the trend lines look fairly bleak.

Good thing there is always the galaxy far far away.

The Witch had a clever promotion. How'd that turn out?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SWXII said:

I don't think we can say that yet. If Civil War ends up being as good as Disney seems to think it is....and then ends up dropping, then you can say that. But so many hated Batman V Superman and said the WOM wouldn't be good. And now we're seeing that play out.

8 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Did he? Though Matthew Vaughn actually signed on for X3 and then walked out because of the insane production issues that film had. And that didn't stop him from returning for First Class.

He was offered it. He didn't take it. He chose to work on wonder woman instead. All this was happening after he finished Serenity.

Joss Whedon mentioned it to wizard in 2007. It's on web archive here

https://web.archive.org/web/20070506141153/http://www.cinematical.com/2007/04/24/joss-whedon-talks-x-men-4-wonder-woman-woes-and-batman-heartach/

And can I just mention how it sucks how hard it is to find old news stories online. My memory is good so I knew I didn't make it up lol but it took me a few minutes to find a source to verify the info I already knew.

And on the subject of if Whedon would do JL. Well the day Firefly was canceled Joss pitched a Batman origin movie to WB and they shot it down.

After that and WW fiasco well.....

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1

I would hate to be someone for this movie, see the thread title think *phew* well at least that's okay....and then open the thread. Oh boy everyone thought there would be meltdowns for TFA. It looks like they are going to come a few months late.

And first I'm hearing that this dropped 85% in China?! Wow.

2 minutes ago, SWXII said:

Civil War will do 1.2B, X-men could do over 900m, SS will make over 500m, Doctor Strange over 600m, Deadpool will do over 750m, and BvS will do 900m and somehow the trend lines look weak? Man your crazy.

5 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

He was offered it. He didn't take it. He chose to work on wonder woman instead. All this was happening after he finished Serenity.

Joss Whedon mentioned it to wizard in 2007. It's on web archive here

https://web.archive.org/web/20070506141153/http://www.cinematical.com/2007/04/24/joss-whedon-talks-x-men-4-wonder-woman-woes-and-batman-heartach/

And can I just mention how it sucks how hard it is to find old news stories online. My memory is good so I knew I didn't make it up lol but it took me a few minutes to find a source to verify the info I already knew.

And on the subject of if Whedon would do JL. Well the day Firefly was canceled Joss pitched a Batman origin movie to WB and they shot it down.

After that and WW fiasco well.....

He's in a much better bargaining position now than he was then. Also, the current WB/DC heads like Kevin Tsujihara, Diane Nelson and Geoff Johns are far more likely to agree to Whedon's terms and ideas for JL than whatshisname during the Wonder Woman era.

16 minutes ago, SWXII said:

Do you have any defense left for BvS? Write them all out.

Don't come up with new excuse everytime your last one was proved wrong.

Edited by bladels

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I don't think we can say that yet. If Civil War ends up being as good as Disney seems to think it is....and then ends up dropping, then you can say that. But so many hated Batman V Superman and said the WOM wouldn't be good. And now we're seeing that play out.

There will be great successes on the way down the slope, as there were great failures on the way up. But again, the trends don't look good.

There is no long term market for cbm' s that are too rigid to the source material. And the more the studios try to please the comic book puritans, the further they will alienate the mainstream audience.

Classic catch-22.

39 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

He in no subtle words complained about "recalcitrant execs" refusing to let female characters to be featured in the movies as they "don't sell toys". Later, it was revealed that Ike Perlmutter held that same belief. He was also talking about how there was a "pressure on him" to have AoU outdo TA, which it didn't. If Snyder is indeed asked to step into a purely exec role for JL, then Whedon will be one of the likely people WB will look at. Only this time, Whedon will be at a better place to negotiate his own terms and conditions. 

And I doubt he would want to work on "poor men's X-Men". He may actually get an opportunity at the real thing if Singer wants to take a break after Apocalypse or if Fox have something more in mind for their XCU.

Ike's gone and Feige's now in charge.  Hence Phase 3.   And it's not as if X-Men have been great in featuring female protagonists - quite the opposite considering all the powerful ones they've shoved off to the background or ignored.  

Of course there was pressure for the sequel to be bigger - there's always pressure for that and he no doubt put a lot on himself.  You think there wouldn't be pressure in taking over a possibly floundering WB slate?  It's easier to build on bedrock than marsh land and it's easier to work where you've already had great success and formed good working relationships.  You think he's going to find an exec working on SH movies who's better at his job than Feige?  Or a company that's going to give him more resources and opportunity than Disney?  Why go from the company that gave you every opportunity and where you found success to the ones that wasted your time and talent?