K1stpierre

The Jungle Book (2016)

Grade it:  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

People are hating on the music really? So surprised, I saw this with 3 people who are all over 30 and were not looking forward to the music, but they nailed it. We all agreed. to each there own i guess, but could you imagine if the songs weren't there? 100m OW this does not have. People would revolt. The whole time people would be think gin are they going to sing or aren't they? it would actually be more distracting. 

People are hating on the music really? So surprised, I saw this with 3 people who are all over 30 and were not looking forward to the music, but they nailed it. We all agreed. to each there own i guess, but could you imagine if the songs weren't there? 100m OW this does not have. People would revolt. The whole time people would be think gin are they going to sing or aren't they? it would actually be more distracting. 

If they didn't sing then you'd have Cinderella last year, which shockingly enough people did not revolt against

Incredibly moving film.  This is right up there with ET as the best live action (so to speak) kids film I've ever seen.  The voice acting was incredible.  Idris Elba is one scary dude and Bill Murry, Ben Kingsley and Nyong'o were outstanding.  Walken must of had a blast doing this as well.  It had serious moments of tension and some shocking moments like when Shere Khan kills the wolf.  I was horrified at that part.  Basically from start to finish, I was hooked.  The water truce was incredibly well done and the elephants were awesome and the kid is outstanding.  I absolutely adore the film.

10/10

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Baumer and John both gave it a 10/10.

God damn it. Guess what I'm.doing this weekend

As you may or may not know, I'm not easily impressed by kids films...but this blew me away.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Baumer and John both gave it a 10/10.

God damn it. Guess what I'm.doing this weekend

You may as well. I didn't love it but the fact that there's so much debating over what works and what doesn't is a mark of a unique film, which is something I didn't expect from a Disney remake.

Edited by tribefan695

7 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

People are hating on the music really? So surprised, I saw this with 3 people who are all over 30 and were not looking forward to the music, but they nailed it. We all agreed. to each there own i guess, but could you imagine if the songs weren't there? 100m OW this does not have. People would revolt.  

I didn't think they were bad per ser (admittedly, Bare Necessities was much better than I Wanna Be Like You), I just thought the film was a bit too long and that the two musical sequences could have been cut without losing much.

Same for the Kaa scene.

Edited by Goffe

13 hours ago, Goffe said:

So, the elephants wouldn't have saved the forest if Mowgli hadn't saved the baby elephant?

That's one interpretation (which also ties into the concept of karma). And maybe the elephants wouldn't have cared if they had been too devastated if the baby hadn't been saved.

This and Zootopia are easily the films of the year so far.

I can't not give it an A. It was mind blowing in the technical areas and physically made my jaw drop a few times in the first 10 minutes (the last time that happened was Gravity IMAX 3D) and as far as storytelling, it was exactly like a Disney animated film, so I can't really fault it. 

The only problem I had was Baloos excuse to make Mowgli go away which felt like a kids film (which this obviously is). The kids acting also did remind me of Jake Matthew Lloyd (especially from Jingle All The Way) at times but jesus, look what he had to work with. It really is amazing what he accomplished.

I hadn't seen the original in over 15 years and went back and watched it the night after seeing it. I was again blown away with how they brought those environments to life and expanded on things like Shere Khaans motivation for hating Mowgli. I liked all the Wolfpack scenes and how they changed some things around. Bagheera was lifted right off the original 1967 cartoon and I thought his reasons for getting separated from Mowgli in the movie worked a lot better.

Loved the scene with Kaa and how they incorporated the exposition with her eyes. Christopher Walken was awesome and actually pretty frightening as King Louie. Could see his face in the dark frightening kids. And Bill Murray of course was amazing as Baloo.

I also loved both songs and how they incorporated them. Maybe I'm just a sucker for nostalgia because I didn't think Wanna Be Like You felt out of place like some others either. Saw a lot of Twitter praising it too.

A-

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 3

Baumer loving it makes me really happy, if just because I know he's not usually up for these types of movies, and I agree with him the more I think about it

(As in I'm pretty sure my rewatch will bump my grade up; it's rare I think about a movie this much after release)

• Like 2

Maybe it's because I'm not a huge fan of the cartoon, but this didn't do as much for me. Kaa is a standout (as is the ScarJo cover of Trust in Me), and the visuals are great, but nothing truly wowed me beyond that. It's a decent time, but I saw it last night ans nothing really stood out since then.

• Like 2

Just a brilliant all round movie. This was just amazing to watch. The visuals were beautiful. Especially Bagheera, Raksha and King Louis. Shere Khan looked mean as hell. I would have preferred Elbas voice to have been louder though when he spoke. Baloo's face looked abit too young but man did i enjoy this movie. That scene with Khan walking up the rocks to Akela was incredibly done and than that pounce. Mowgli and his wolf mother was incredibly touching. Wow. I cannot wait to watch again with my whole family. Perfect family movie.

10/10

A

• Like 4

The Jungle Book: To be perfectly honest, I went into this movie with very little expectations, even with the good reviews. I'm not a big fan of the original Disney version and when news broke that Disney was making a live action CGI version of The Jungle Book, I sat there and rolled my eyes. Lately, Disney has been doing a lot of live action versions of their cartoons and even though I hate it on a anti originality scale, the box office numbers for Maleficent, Cinderella, and now the Jungle Book, show that this trend is not ending anytime soon.

The fact this movie was completely shot on a set in some building in California is astounding. The jungle itself is not only beautiful to look at, but as well with the CGI animals, everything looked real. Everything looked like it was shot on location in the actual Jungle. The songs are well incorporate into the movie. The little differences between the animated film and this film are fine.

The voice acting is all fantastic. Bill Murray and Ben Kingsley are both fantastic, Idris Elba is scary as hell, Scarlett Johansson may not have had much to do in the film but she's a upgrade from Evil Winnie The Pooh, Christopher Walken basically playing a mob boss is great, even the late Garry Shandling has a small funny role in the film. The Human boy played by Neel Sethi who looks like just Mowgli from the original film, also does a good job. It's even more impressive when you realize he was acting by himself and on a set filled with green screen for the entire thing.

This film took me by surprised, I didn't expect to love this movie as much as I did. Director Jon Favreau brings The Jungle Book alive to the big screen and making a fantastic film. I hope to see this movie again before it leaves theaters.

Grade: A

Edited by MovieGuyKyle17
  • Like 3

On 4/30/2016 at 0:41 PM, Omario said:

Just a brilliant all round movie. This was just amazing to watch. The visuals were beautiful. Especially Bagheera, Raksha and King Louis. Shere Khan looked mean as hell. I would have preferred Elbas voice to have been louder though when he spoke. Baloo's face looked abit too young but man did i enjoy this movie. That scene with Khan walking up the rocks to Akela was incredibly done and than that pounce. Mowgli and his wolf mother was incredibly touching. Wow. I cannot wait to watch again with my whole family. Perfect family movie.

10/10

A

Everything you said basically was my initial reaction :) 

• Like 1

It's been over a week since I've seen the movie but I still can't get it out of my head. It had someone of the best visuals of any movie I've seen, I like how they kept the story simple and I didn't mind the songs or the kid's acting either. I know a lot of people think Kaa was the best part of the movie but for me personally it was Sher Khan and I think Idris Elba did a fantastic job as a cold hearted, vengeful Bengal tiger. Best blockbuster of the year (so far)! 

The-Jungle-Book-Special-Shoot_SHERE-KHAN

A.

• Like 2