efialtes76

Monday Numbers:

1 hour ago, Harpospoke said:

The thing which is out of date is the absurd number of games they play each year.    160+ games....that's insane.   Clearly geared toward a 1920s audience who needed the daily diversion.

Ironically, they played far fewer games in the '20s. I agree, I wish they'd cut back to something like a 140-game schedule. It'd help the players and the overall quality of the game. But no way owners are gonna lose out on those extra 10 home-games of revenue.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Ironically, they played far fewer games in the '20s. I agree, I wish they'd cut back to something like a 140-game schedule. It'd help the players and the overall quality of the game. But no way owners are gonna lose out on those extra 10 home-games of revenue.

You mean like a 80 game season. Owners need all 300 games at the moment because there is no team salary cap. 

I dont like baseball. Im ready for Peyton Manningless football.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I thought it was a 154 game schedule in the 20s.

31 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Now I'm wondering if less games would mean MORE revenue.   Doesn't the NFL make the most money with the fewest games?    In my mind less games = more important games = higher ticket prices/higher TV ratings = more revenue    I would think the owners would be smart enough to know how that works.    I might actually watch baseball if their was ONE starting pitcher similar to one starting QB in football and I didn't have to commit to a game every single day.    Wouldn't everyone know the names of all the pitchers for each team like we do with the NFL?

NBA and NHL could use less games too.   80+ games is way too many too.   That's why we end up with "playoff basketball".   (i.e. there is no way the players can play their hardest for 82 game so the fans get substandard play for months until the playoffs start)

I mean...the NFL has put the perfect sports model right there in front of everyone...how are they missing it?

Have put the Ignore feature to glorious use since last week. When someone makes an absurdly illogical post, instead of pointing out what's easily wrong with their post, the better thing is not to respond. It is obvious that they too have the capacity to figure out what's illogical in their post but have been in denial about it. When they get a reply to their post, they feel reinforced as their logic has been considered worthy of a reply, even if it is being argued against, and their stand is considered equal to yours albeit different. If the same user is doing it, the Ignore feature is awesome. If someone says '2+2=10' why reply and say 'no its 4'. What did you add that they couldn't figure out in the first place. To reply is itself a victory for them. By getting you to answer they have gotten their point recognized.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Telemachos said:

#EveryGameCounts

ok tele, this is true but its really hard to watch baseball in april.  The playoff race may come down to a game or two but when you play 162, damn, ridiculous.  Here's to NBA playoffs and the spurs ... even tho i know it's a lost cause

7 hours ago, Telemachos said:

#EveryGameCounts

double post , shit. I kind of just want to have a podcast where tele and baumer just debate why one of them loves a certain movie and the other hates it...would be pretty hilarious.

Edited by holcs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, #ED said:

You mean like a 80 game season. Owners need all 300 games at the moment because there is no team salary cap. 

I dont like baseball. Im ready for Peyton Manningless football.

Players share of revenue has actually been steadily declining for over a decade. Owners could absolutely afford to lose the games, but who in their right mind is going to give up revenue?

the MLBPA would have to push for it in the next collective bargaining agreement, and I believe they have bigger fish to fry.

46 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Have put the Ignore feature to glorious use since last week. When someone makes an absurdly illogical post, instead of pointing out what's easily wrong with their post, the better thing is not to respond. It is obvious that they too have the capacity to figure out what's illogical in their post but have been in denial about it. When they get a reply to their post, they feel reinforced as their logic has been considered worthy of a reply, even if it is being argued against, and their stand is considered equal to yours albeit different. If the same user is doing it, the Ignore feature is awesome. If someone says '2+2=10' why reply and say 'no its 4'. What did you add that they couldn't figure out in the first place. To reply is itself a victory for them. By getting you to answer they have gotten their point recognized.

The last 3 weeks have seriously tested my stance to not use the ignore feature, but I have come soooo close. It really is a great tool when someone is aggravating you without cause.

• Like 1

BVS's Mon-Mon drop is 54%. With TJB taking away high priced screens and providing big competition, I feel 55% drop will certainly happen. That will give it a weekend of 10.5m. 60% drop will give it 9.35m. O/U 10m will be close.

10 minutes ago, narniadis said:

The last 3 weeks have seriously tested my stance to not use the ignore feature, but I have come soooo close. It really is a great tool when someone is aggravating you without cause.

I found it hilarious at first. And then it got sad. The trainwreck level of sad. I guess that's why I didn't even consider the ignore feature cause you feel like you're watching those types of 'soooo bad it's good' movies. You wanna know how it'll end, or will it even? At some points, you thought that the acceptance stage of grief has finally been reached, but blink and you realized you're dead wrong, the whole thing has looped back to denial instead. 

I don't know, it's quite fascinating. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sam said:

I found it hilarious at first. And then it got sad. The trainwreck level of sad. I guess that's why I didn't even consider the ignore feature cause you feel like you're watching those types of 'soooo bad it's good' movies. You wanna know how it'll end, or will it even? At some points, you thought that the acceptance stage of grief has finally been reached, but blink and you realized you're dead wrong, the whole thing has looped back to denial instead. 

I don't know, it's quite fascinating. 

LOL I've been accused of being biased just because of my avatar being a Florida theme park representation. Because apparently I'm a shill for Disney and/or Universal who wants to take down WB.

Which is true, I surrender and admit it. I'm also skilled in kung fu and computer hacking because my competitors need to be taken down no matter what the cost.

In my dreams, of course.

• Like 1