grim22

Birth of a Nation | Fox Searchlight | Sundance Grand Jury Prize. ONLY DISCUSS THE MOVIE AND BOX OFFICE IN THIS THREAD.

32 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

Fox paid 17.5 million to acquire this? :o

It would have been a sweet deal if not for Nate's past. And the fact he hired his co-defendant as a writer. The movie would have done well and been Oscar nominated for sure. Probably would have won. 

46 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Some interesting discussion to be had here, but this thread is already veering back into being not about the movie.

This.

41 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Lol mods might as well nuke this thread. This isn't gonna go away quietly, nor is likely to have minimal impact on the movie.

Of course it won't go away. But all this discussion is better served in a Real World thread. I started one, feel free to continue the larger discussion there:

BTW if it's true that critics aren't really over the moon about this but have mostly kept quiet this whole time then this probably isn't going far anyway even without the scandal. Maybe a few noms and that's it at most. Again, studios that got into the bidding war probably felt nervous after the #OscarSoWhite scandal.

Just now, filmlover said:

BTW if it's true that critics aren't really over the moon about this but have mostly kept quiet this whole time then this probably isn't going far anyway even without the scandal. Maybe a few noms and that's it at most. Again, studios that got into the bidding war probably felt nervous after the #OscarSoWhite scandal.

Wait, this might not be great?  I hadnt heard that.  That'd be...unfortunate.  

J McGianni Celestin ‏@Liberatedking 30 Aug 2013
Stories of false rape accusations are as awful as when rape really does happen. I'm sure both realities feel like something close to death.

Yup, an actual tweet from his bro rapist & co-writer.

Now can I get my barf bag, please.

In all seriousness, this likely isn't really going anywhere at the box office. It faces a lot of competition around that time (The Girl on the Train opens that weekend, The Magnificent Seven and Deepwater Horizon will still be doing well, and The Accountant opens the following weekend) so unless this really gains traction as an Oscar frontrunner (or the controversy hasn't already completely tainted it by that point), it's hard imagining this catching on with audiences.

46 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

This.

Of course it won't go away. But all this discussion is better served in a Real World thread. I started one, feel free to continue the larger discussion there:

I think it's at a weird middle road.  The controversy and the movie really aren't all that separate.  This controversy is bad enough that it's going to effect the box office, reception, and potential Oscar attention.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

It's not critics who make or break Oscars. It's the industry itself.

And besides, the critic who now feels bold enough to publicly dislike this movie is a bit late to the punch.

And that's why I have zero respect for critics. Bunch of band wagoners. 

3 hours ago, fracfar said:

I was actually hoping to see this... 

Hollywood really needs to get rid of all the deviants from the town, and stop protecting them, because shit like this is just gonna turn off people and solidify it's image as a free for all place of depravity. Just like the Catholic Church's image has been harmed significantly

As for this movie, the scandal may affect the reviewer's mindsets, hurting the DOM box office

Hollywood is weird. Giving work and protecting people with horrible and despicable history, but throwing directors under the bus or not giving work to those who couldn't deliver on a big studio film due to inexperience and studio interference. These studio execs can go to any length to save their jobs. Horrible. Hollywood is run by mafias and scum bags. 

5 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

As for fox, hahahahahahaha...told you guys it been run by incompetent bunch...but thia is searchlight..they are smarter than the main studio..don't know how they fucked up. 

They and the other studios that participated in the bidding war didn't do their research beforehand and wanted a title to scoop up to sell for the next Oscar season following #OscarSoWhite.

I imagine Netflix is happy they didn't pick this up. Bad enough they produced that Cosby comedy special that is unlikely to ever see the light of day at this point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They and the other studios that participated in the bidding war didn't do their research beforehand and wanted a title to scoop up to sell for the next Oscar season following #OscarSoWhite.

I imagine Netflix is happy they didn't pick this up. Bad enough they produced that Cosby comedy special that is unlikely to ever see the light of day at this point.

I refuse to believe they and other studios didn't do research. But #OscarsSoWhite trumped all logic.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1