CJohn

Weekend Thread | The Jungle Book - Early Weekend Estimates 101m - 103m (DHD - Page 59) (Fri 32m, Sat 41.5m-42m) | RTH Saturday Early Est = 40-44M (Page 46) | Barbershop TNC - Est 20.4m (DHD) | Boss -59% | Hardcore Henry epic -71%

16 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Still has a shot at 100m.

32.5 + 40 (+23%) + 27.5 (-31.25%) = 100

Definitely within reach. And let's not forget that this is a family film so Saturday increases can be big, but it's looking to be a four quadrant film so it may not be as high of an increase as it can be.

Still have TJB over FD. It will have amazing legs.

BvS is a beginning not an end. Disney had similar stumbles before achieving what they currently have. 

WB will be able to follow suit. It is rather amazing how similar the pattern is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I am still sticking with my prediction that BvS ends up outside the Top 10 this year.  Already will be at #5 behind Deadpool, Zootopia, Jungle Book and Captain America: Civil War in a few weeks.  Fully expect Dory, Fantastic Beasts and Rogue One to be ahead of it putting it at #8 in even the best case of scenarios.  

For Fantastic Beasts to be above Batman v Superman it would need to beat all the first 7 Harry Potters, despite being a spin off with none of the characters. Never going to happen. If it got to 200M it would be a great achievement, 350M is impossible.

And BvS outside of top 10? That would require 11+ movies over 300M. You seriously think that is going to happen? Even adjusted for inflation, the most 300M movies in one year is 7. This year may be full of blockbusters but it's not going to rewrite history. 11 300M films is impossible.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SWXII said:

Still have TJB over FD. It will have amazing legs.

BvS is a beginning not an end. Disney had similar stumbles before achieving what they currently have. 

WB will be able to follow suit. It is rather amazing how similar the pattern is.

They have franchises to build off of. Yeah, their DCCU universe didn't start out the way they thought it would, money wise.. but Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman definitely look promising for them. They got another mini Harry Potter franchise building up.. those Lego films and the Godzilla-Kong Cinematic Universe. If they can get another franchise going they'll be fine for a long time.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

For Fantastic Beasts to be above Batman v Superman it would need to beat all the first 7 Harry Potters, despite being a spin off with none of the characters. Never going to happen. If it got to 200M it would be a great achievement, 350M is impossible.

And BvS outside of top 10? That would require 11+ movies over 300M. You seriously think that is going to happen? Even adjusted for inflation, the most 300M movies in one year is 7. This year may be full of blockbusters but it's not going to rewrite history. 11 300M films is impossible.

First of all, BvS might not get much above $330m and it has no shot of getting to $350m at this point.  Second, I realize this is a traditionally silly prediction, but look at what is happening right now before our eyes.  The box office the last 18 months is breaking all the rules and I don't see that slowing down.  

Third, at the absolute best case scenario BvS is going to be #7 this year.  Deadpool, Zootopia, Civil War, Jungle Book, Dory and Rogue One are beating it.  That means all it takes is 3 other movies to hit this year.  There is a pool of roughly 6-7 more that have that potential.  

Think of that fact alone.  8 weeks ago if you would have said that BvS could finish no better than #7 this year most people would have thought that was an idiotic prediction, but it is a lock at this point.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

You do realize that adjusted for inflation and 3D all the Potter films are above 350M DOM. The box office landscape has changed a lot in the last 5-10 years. 350m seems extremely probable

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Disney is the powerhouse now... They have the Marvel films, Star Wars, the live action adaption movies and animated movies. They'll win the most $$ a year for a long long time time.

I dunno about that. Look at the schedule for 2017: (w/ my predictions)

Disney

Beauty and the Beast - 150M

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 400M

Pirates 5 - 200M

Cars 3 - 150M

Thor 3 - 200M

Star Wars 8 - 500M

1600 + nothing else since they only do tentpoles

Fox

Maze Runner 3 - 100M

Wolverine - 150M

Kingsman 2 - 200M

Planet of the Apes - 250M

Alien Covenant - 200M

Croods 2 - 250M

(Untitled) Dreamworks - 150M

(Untitled) X Men - 200M

1500 + other smaller films

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

You should get sure, it is going to be a huge hit for Warner Bros.  

Bugger Than all the Potters except the last one? I doubt it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lumos said:

You do realize that adjusted for inflation and 3D all the Potter films are above 350M DOM. The box office landscape has changed a lot in the last 5-10 years. 350m seems extremely probable

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Disney

Pirates 5 - 200M

Cars 3 - 150M

Thor 3 - 200M

Star Wars 8 - 500M

Fox

Maze Runner 3 - 100M

Wolverine - 150M

Kingsman 2 - 200M

Alien Covenant - 200M

Croods 2 - 250M

(Untitled) X Men - 200M

You have Star Wars Episode 8 having almost a 50% drop from Episode 7??

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

First of all, BvS might not get much above $330m and it has no shot of getting to $350m at this point.  Second, I realize this is a traditionally silly prediction, but look at what is happening right now before our eyes.  The box office the last 18 months is breaking all the rules and I don't see that slowing down.

Can you please name some examples of "box office has broken all the rules"? Like at least one example pls.

I don't see why people are surprised or shocked by the bad increases for BVS and Zoo - we talked in the normal weekday threads about it all week long. Zoo actually had a better Friday than I expected if the 1.8 holds and should be around 8m for the weekend. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

You have Star Wars Episode 8 having almost a 50% drop from Episode 7??

Well that's the same drop the original SW had to Empire. Just being conservative. Regardless, my point was that other studios can still compete. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Disney

Pirates 5 - 200M

Cars 3 - 150M

Thor 3 - 200M

Star Wars 8 - 500M

Fox

Maze Runner 3 - 100M

Wolverine - 150M

Kingsman 2 - 200M

Alien Covenant - 200M

Croods 2 - 250M

(Untitled) X Men - 200M

You're lowballing Beauty and the Beast, Pirates and Star Wars.

• Like 6