CJohn

Weekend Thread | The Jungle Book - Early Weekend Estimates 101m - 103m (DHD - Page 59) (Fri 32m, Sat 41.5m-42m) | RTH Saturday Early Est = 40-44M (Page 46) | Barbershop TNC - Est 20.4m (DHD) | Boss -59% | Hardcore Henry epic -71%

I was rooting for Midnight Special because I like Take Shelter and Mud but what a misfire. A chase movie without a pulse. An uneasy mix of drama, thriller and sci-fi with a crappy child actor performance. I just didn't care. Good performances by Michael Shannon and Kirsten Dunst but overall a stinker. No wonder it tanked at the box office. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nilephelan said:

It might end up #3 behind SS and Fantastic Beasts.  

I don't know about Fantastic Beasts, man... Harry Potter has all but three of its flicks below 300M, and only one above the 325-330M I expect BVS to fall on (DH2). They seem extremely frontloaded over in America (here in Europe and in the rest of the world they are MONSTERS, not so much down there). Not to mention it is a spin-off that departs from the main series in a way that even The Hobbit didn't.

Though to be fair, adjusting for inflation and 3D, even the lowest grossing one (DH1) did results pretty much on par w/BVS, so it's hard to judge here. Plus, it does look great from the trailers and from the team behind it (I don't love Yates as a director, but he did helm 2 of the best Potter films in the DH flicks, and I also liked Half Blood Prince; plus, JK Rowling writing the script is a very exciting prospect, although since it is her 1st movie script, there still is some skepticism from me). I'll be conservative for now and say FB will do about a solid 250M. Worldwide, it will probably beat BVS, but DOM, idk. Maybe I'll change my mind later, though.

13 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Just how many Disney's films would beat BvS this year lol

1. Finding Dory: $470 million

2. Civil War: $445 million

3. Rogue One: $410 million

4. Deadpool: $360 million 

5. Moana: $345 million

6. Zootopia: $335 million

7. The Jungle Book: $335 million

8. Batman vs Superman: $330 million 

9. The Secret Lives of Pets: $305 million

10. Suicide Squad: $280 million

Might miss top 7 if Moana breaks out.

I'd say missing top 5 is a lock

• Like 1

1). The Jungle Book (DIS), 4,028 theaters / $32.4M Fri. (includes $4.2M previews) / 3-day cume: $87M to $88M / Wk 1

2). Barbershop: The Next Cut (WB), 2,661 theaters / $7M Fri. (includes $735K previews) / 3-day cume: $19.4M / Wk 1

3). The Boss (UNI), 3,495 theaters (+15) / $3M Fri. / 3-day cume: $9.8M to $10M+ (-59%) / Total cume: $40.6M / Wk 2

4). Batman v Superman (WB), 3,505 theaters (-597) / $2.36M Fri. / 3-day cume: $9.4M Total cume: $311M / Wk 4

5). Zootopia (DIS), 3,209 theaters (-235) / $2.1M Fri. / 3-day cume: $8.65M / Total cume: $307M to $308M / Wk 7

6). Criminal (LGF), 2,683 theaters / $2M Fri. / 3-day cume: $5.7M / Wk 1

7). My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (UNI), 2,297 theaters (-730) / $988K Fri. / 3-day cume: $3.3M / Total cume: $52.2M / Wk 4

8). Miracles From Heaven (SONY), 2,082 theaters (-701) / $535K Fri. / 3-day cume: $1.9M /  Total cume: $56.9M / Wk 5

9). God’s Not Dead 2 (PURE), 1,585 theaters (-769) / $485K to $490K Fri. / 3-day cume: $1.5M to $1.8M / Total cume: $16.9M / Wk 3

10). Eye in the Sky (BLST), 891 theaters (-198) / $452K Fri. / 3-day cume: $1.5Mto $1.7M Total cume: $12.1M Wk 6

8 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

1. Finding Dory: $470 million

2. Civil War: $445 million

3. Rogue One: $410 million

4. Deadpool: $360 million 

5. Moana: $345 million

6. Zootopia: $335 million

7. The Jungle Book: $335 million

8. Batman vs Superman: $330 million 

9. The Secret Lives of Pets: $305 million

10. Suicide Squad: $280 million

Might miss top 7 if Moana breaks out.

I'd say missing top 5 is a lock

Moana not likely to break out

Edited by zackzack

Well, another disappointing day for BvS. Revised weekend predictions:

Saturday: $4.28 million (+81.2%)

Sunday: $2.51 million (-41.3%)

FOURTH WEEKEND TOTAL: $9.14 million (-60.9%)

PROJECTED NINE-WEEK DOMESTIC GROSS: $330 million (1.99x)

This isn't increasing 81% today

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nilephelan said:

Uh, what?  Did you forget Jason Bourne is coming out in August and likely going to do around $225m+?

Dude wtf I was trolling. I was not being serious. You have been very angry in the last few days and forcing your opinion on some members for no reason sometimes. You should calm down a bit.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

This isn't increasing 81% today

Meanwhile Snyder is directing Justice League. I need full videos of the internal discussions between the WB execs. They must be hilarious.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 23IsEverywhere said:

Also the Wizarding world has been gone for years, inflation+movie gap for a franchise that has not faded into obscurity Fantastic Beasts will probably be the #1-2 HP film box office wise (probably 2)

Beating DH2 is basically impossible. $960 million will also probably be tough.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Dude wtf I was trolling. I was not being serious. You have been very angry in the last few days and forcing your opinion on some members for no reason sometimes. You should calm down a bit.

I haven't even posted in the last few days, so perhaps start there before you post that.  Angry?  Where?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 23IsEverywhere said:

Also the Wizarding world has been gone for years, inflation+movie gap for a franchise that has not faded into obscurity Fantastic Beasts will probably be the #1-2 HP film box office wise (probably 2)

DOM or WW?