CJohn

Weekend Thread | The Jungle Book - Early Weekend Estimates 101m - 103m (DHD - Page 59) (Fri 32m, Sat 41.5m-42m) | RTH Saturday Early Est = 40-44M (Page 46) | Barbershop TNC - Est 20.4m (DHD) | Boss -59% | Hardcore Henry epic -71%

Openers as of Saturday night:

1). The Jungle Book (DIS), 4,028 theaters / $32.4M Fri. (includes $4.2M previews) / $42M Sat. (+29%) / 3-day cume: $103M to $120M / Wk 1

2). Barbershop: The Next Cut (WB), 2,661 theaters / $7M Fri. (includes $735K previews) / $8.25M Sat. (+18%) / 3-day cume: $20.4M / Wk 1

6). Criminal (LGF), 2,683 theaters / $2M Fri. / $2.3M Sat. (+13%) / 3-day cume:$5.8M / Wk 1

LOL at TJB's range

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, movieboner said:

With all that money, I wonder what's the next franchise Disney will prey on. My guess is James Bond, after Sony loses the film rights, they'll probably buy it out with the highest bid.

The terms are very lopsided in favor of the Broccolis and MGM which might be one of the reasons they stay with Sony if they're willing to continue on those terms.  Disney, unlike Sony doesn't need James Bond enough to settle for them and will make far more money producing and distributing their own tent poles and taking all the profits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Olive said:

Openers as of Saturday night:

1). The Jungle Book (DIS), 4,028 theaters / $32.4M Fri. (includes $4.2M previews) / $42M Sat. (+29%) / 3-day cume: $103M to $120M / Wk 1

2). Barbershop: The Next Cut (WB), 2,661 theaters / $7M Fri. (includes $735K previews) / $8.25M Sat. (+18%) / 3-day cume: $20.4M / Wk 1

6). Criminal (LGF), 2,683 theaters / $2M Fri. / $2.3M Sat. (+13%) / 3-day cume:$5.8M / Wk 1

LOL at TJB's range

Deadline, always good for a laugh. :rofl:

So, not nearly as important as actual numbers but I think it's cool how ridiculously busy JB was tonight at my theatre. My 48-50+ range is now much much higher, and I'm pretty sure it made it over 60M.

Now, tomorrow's matinees will be busy (we have a "kids day" on Sunday's, and I think the weather might suck) but Sunday nights are always dead, so it's really hard to predict tomorrow's numbers for my theatre. 30-40M really, putting the movie at a 127-137M opening here.

I think numbers (actual numbers not my theatre) will go up. I have a feeling WC in general was very strong.

Also no one is debating that BvS will make WB money. People talk about it having historically awful legs and then someone else will jump in with "but it made WB money". These are two unrelated thoughts that somehow get all mixed and twisted up

• Like 7

Oh... and I guess this should've been obvious, but it never crossed my mind before release: my audience was about 40% Indian, and the rest of the theater was pretty diverse too. It might be because my hometown is very predominantly white (and I'm at school), but regardless, it makes a ton of sense this is successful with a huge variety of people. Props to Disney to both casting an Indian American as Mowgli instead of whitewashing, and also having a fairly diverse voice cast.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, movieboner said:

With all that money, I wonder what's the next franchise Disney will prey on. My guess is James Bond, after Sony loses the film rights, they'll probably buy it out with the highest bid.

Please no. It'll be like the PC 80s and 90s when he was only allowed to sleep with one woman and like T2 where he will only injure not kill people.

And oh the product placement. Mickey Mouse  exploding watch and star wars condoms for the one woman he hooks up with!

STAR_WARS_-_FEEL_THE_FORCE_1024x1024.jpg

1 hour ago, zackzack said:

We live in a  very bizarre time when a movie that made $800M WW is considered an abomination of outsized proportions.

TASM2 cost $250M and it barely did $700M WW and nobody made a pip.

Amazing-Spider-Man-2-Vault-Easter-Egg.jp.

Dude, that is such a bad (and inaccurate) example. 

• Like 3